• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pontainfresco

pontainfresco

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

EDIT: I know this might look like it belongs in the consolidated build thread, but I'm not sure it belongs there. I'm basically asking if it would be possible for the mesmer to play the role of "tank" using clever clone placement and strategic use of dazes/distortion.

I had this idea kicking around for a while but never got a mesmer high enough in PvE to really try it out, so I was wondering if someone more experienced with the profession could tell me the problems with a build like this.

All right, so this is a rough version of the build I had in mind. Please don't pick it apart too badly. I know traits are going to change before release so I sort of just went for the big ones and didn't put much thought into where the extra points went. Not optimal by any means.
http://www.gw2builds....12.2.12.8.6.11

This build would focus on holding a mobs attention mostly with clones. Rolling in and out with dodges to drop them next to the mob and rolling out when things get hairy to keep a stream of clones coming with the scepter.

I've also chosen to focus utilities and some of the traits on giving the mesmer more panic buttons for when he finds himself with no clones or stuck away from his clones with no way to defend himself.  He'll do this through multiple dazes and the ability to (in theory) chain distortion for upwards of 10 seconds.

I can't see why this wouldn't work, but, as I said, I'm certainly no expert. A build like this sounds very appealing to me and seems like it would demand some very skillful play. Let me know if there are any glaring flaws or parts of the strategy that simply wouldn't work in practice.

Thanks!

Edited by pontainfresco, 05 August 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#2 Pederasty

Pederasty

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

all the traits are out of whack with that builder
that build wouldn't be possible for real

check out one of the updated builders http://www.gw2build.com/ and remake it

i like the idea btw im excited to see how you make it

#3 pontainfresco

pontainfresco

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thanks, this calculator definitely changes things.

I ended up with this:
http://www.gw2build....0.0.30.30.5.0.5

I didn't like having to go 30 in both dueling and domination, but I think blurred inscriptions and harmonious mantras add a lot to this playstyle.

A high crit chance would be important to keeping vigor up as much as possible to keep dodge clones coming out at a reasonable rate. This, coupled with the fact that the boon duration bonus from chaos would be fairly negligible on the 1s of vigor from critical infusion, makes the dueling tree that much more attractive.

Harmonious mantras is for the double daze, plus the daze from the signet. The signet cooldown reduction from the domination tree also seems like it'd be very nice, bringing the cooldown on signet of illusions down to 72 seconds. This means that you would be able to use distortion twice nearly back to back just about every time you would want to use distortion.

The signet of domination is a bit harder to justify. With blurred inscriptions, the distortion will be taking place while your target is dazed, making it useless against a single target. I left it there because I'm assuming many fights where a playstyle like this would shine would have more than just one target.

Anyway, I hope someone sees what I'm aiming for with this. I think it could definitely be improved, but whether or not a build like this could work in the first place? I'm not sure.

#4 spelley

spelley

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

View Postpontainfresco, on 05 August 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Thanks, this calculator definitely changes things.

I ended up with this:
http://www.gw2build....0.0.30.30.5.0.5

I didn't like having to go 30 in both dueling and domination, but I think blurred inscriptions and harmonious mantras add a lot to this playstyle.

A high crit chance would be important to keeping vigor up as much as possible to keep dodge clones coming out at a reasonable rate. This, coupled with the fact that the boon duration bonus from chaos would be fairly negligible on the 1s of vigor from critical infusion, makes the dueling tree that much more attractive.

Harmonious mantras is for the double daze, plus the daze from the signet. The signet cooldown reduction from the domination tree also seems like it'd be very nice, bringing the cooldown on signet of illusions down to 72 seconds. This means that you would be able to use distortion twice nearly back to back just about every time you would want to use distortion.

The signet of domination is a bit harder to justify. With blurred inscriptions, the distortion will be taking place while your target is dazed, making it useless against a single target. I left it there because I'm assuming many fights where a playstyle like this would shine would have more than just one target.

Anyway, I hope someone sees what I'm aiming for with this. I think it could definitely be improved, but whether or not a build like this could work in the first place? I'm not sure.

One note: Harmonious Mantras does not work with Mantra of Recovery (you don't get 2 heals before it goes on cooldown...as that would be OP as hell). Personally, I don't think the extra 5 in Domination is worth it for Mantra of Distraction. Personally, I would go with 25 Domination and 10 in Chaos for Debilitating Dissipation, which would work wonderfully for kiting and the clone factory scepter you have. That is my opinion however, just thought I'd offer my 2 cents :)

EDIT:
For the record, it would end up looking like this I believe: http://www.gw2build.....0.25.30.10.0.5

Edited by spelley, 05 August 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#5 Flailers

Flailers

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I can see it work in having a lot of distortion, but you lack in getting health back.
The 30 points into domination just for a single Mantra is questionable.

like this maybe http://www.gw2build.....0.20.30.0.20.0

#6 pontainfresco

pontainfresco

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, I wasn't completely confident with all that investment in harmonious mantras. Both of your suggestions would certainly make combat flow easier.

Realistically, how long could a stream of clones hold out against a champion or boss mob before the mesmer would have to take some damage himself?

#7 spelley

spelley

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Assuming you rotate and spam clones as they come off cool down and/or as they are killed, assuming you dont get random aggro it could be self sustaining. The issue is bosses usually have AoE which will kill more than 1 clone at a time, and could make you eat an attack with AoE or ranged attacks...also with concentrating on illusion spam you won't have much time for DPS so fights will take a long ass time.

#8 pontainfresco

pontainfresco

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

What about something like this:
http://www.gw2build.....0.20.30.20.0.0

Basically just a condition build, but the conditions are being applied by crits and clones dying. You could spam scepter 1 and dodge to keep clones coming out without fear of overwriting them while still maintaining some decent dps from the conditions.

#9 Jasra

Jasra

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

i was trying this build last BWE a it was successful

http://gw2skills.net...G7Nubk3s2YAyEEA

it take longer to kill someone, but i was able to stand 1v2/3, till someone come to help
if i want kill someone fast, just take out three clones from staff, use Time Warp and press 1 until he die :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mesmer, Tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users