Where to go after character creation for good pets
It's better to tame main pet tanks at start of the game. With them, it's easier to level up, and pet doesn't die every minute.
It's desirable to have 2 pets of every family. For example, bears tank, so tame 2 bears - polar and black. When polar bear dies, press change pet button (F4 by default) - black bear appears and tanks the mob. When another type of pet is needed (ex. DD, when equipped greatsword instead of bow), open pet management window and change both pets to DD pets.
Tameable pets are scattered around the world. They live among the same mobs, but with green nickname and prefix Juvenile. For example, Juvenile Polar Bear green pets live among Polar Bear mobs. Run to pet and press F (Charm). Pet is yours. Window appears asking if you want to summon this pet now. During gameplay you will meet different pets, tame them all.
Up 2 lvl
Do starting instance and exit to open world, up 2 lvl.
Teleport to Lion's Arch to the circle with race capital gates
Open Hero window (key F by default), at PvP tab press Go to the Heart of the Mists button. Pass through educational location and enter the pink gate.
Run to the north by the arrow to the circle with gates.
Enter the gate to Hoelbrak, norn capital. Go to Lake Mourn and tame Polar Bear (pet will be Juvenile Polar Bear). This bear is the main tank. Then go west to the first norn location Wayfarer Foothills.
Do events and hearts along the way (if you wish).
- In the left, run upstairs, get skill point (it's needed anyway). Climb down.
- Run straight along the road and at turn go left to the mountain. Tame Raven. Climb down.
- Run southwest to the heart, go upward, tame Snow Leopard.
- Run southeast to the end of the road. Tame Alpine Wolf and Ice Drake. Set them as DD pets. If you've chosen DD pet at character creation, it can be used also.
- Cross the river, go for skill point. Don't enter the cave, in the left there's water. Dive into the water and swim to second cave, get skill point.
- Go northwest to the heart. Tame Brown Bear in the cave. Set it as second tank.
- Teleport to Lion's Arch to the circle with gates. To do this, teleport to the start of location (Wayfarer Foothills) and go on foot to Hoelbrak and pink gate. Or through the Heart of the Mists, but no need to run in Lion's Arch - waypoint is opened (waypoints inside capitals are free of charge).
- Enter the gate to Black Citadel - charr capital.
- Follow the arrows on map. Tame a scorpion Whiptail Devourer.
- Teleport to waypoint (see map). Wide horizontal road on map goes to first charr location Plains of Ashford. Go along this road.
- Run northeast, tame Hyena
- Return to the village
- Run south under the shed, then along the road to east, exit village
- Go to Charr's Triumph, specified on map. Don't get skill by the way, it's for 9+ lvl. Tame Black Bear, set it as tank instead of Brown Bear.
- Teleport to Lion's Arch
- Enter the gate to The Grove - sylvari capital.
- Capital has 4 floors. Run to the ground floor downwards or using elevator. Tame Pink Moa. Come upstairs to the first floor and go south to Scholar's Terrace. Tame Fern Hound, yellow-green dog.
- Teleport to Lion's Arch
- On circle with gates jump to the water, swim to the west, tame Blue Jellyfish.
- Swim back to circle and north, to the entrance of underwater tunnel.
- In tunnel swim straight to the end (don't turn right). At the end dive deeper and tame Armor fish.
Pet families and usage
- Tank - bear or drake. For range weapon (range 600 and more). Bears have much HP and tank skills, but little toughness. Drakes have much toughness, but middle HP and DD skills.
- DD - drake or feline. For melee weapon (range 300 and less)
- DD-control - canine. There are wolf, hyena, Fern Hound (yellow-green sylvari dog), Krytan Drakehound
- Range - spider. All spider skills have range 900.
- Semi-range - scorpion (devourer). 2 skills with 900 range, 2 melee.
- Support - moa.
- Water tank - armor fish.
- Water support-DD - jellyfish.
- Environmental weapon - boar. When use their skill, they find environmental weapon. You can pick up it and, for example, knock down or fear the foe.
Pets of one family (ex, bears or feline) have 3 same skills (pets use them automatically) and forth unique skill (on F2 key, need to press by hand)
It's convenient to see pets on map GW2 cartographers. By default they're turned off. To turn on, select Ranger Pets - Toggle Points in menu.
List of pet skills - GW2 Wiki
Guild Wars 2 Life
YouTube - Ranger Pet Locations
This is translation of my russian guide http://insane.su/for...петов-рейнжера/
Edited by Eley, 10 August 2012 - 08:01 AM.