#1 Hatemachine

Hatemachine

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

I need help understanding gear stats and how they apply to different professions.  In WoW I would stack Intellect on my mage, Agility on my rogue, Strength on my warrior, etc...  Does GW2 have a similar system where i need to stack a specific stat on a specific professions?  If not then how do gear stats work in GW2? TIA!
Lifelike and posable, hopeless and disposable.

#2 diggdugg

diggdugg

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

cmon man you gotta look around a bit --

check out the gw2 wiki it explains alot

i will start you out though

power = damage
vitality = health
toughness = armor
precision= crit

if you want a defensive warrior stack toughness and vitiality
glass cannon warrior stack power

there is more to it though

but no , mages dont need a specific attribute, and neither do warriors -- you skew the stats to how you want to play them

#3 Ryahask

Ryahask

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ATK]

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

In GW2 the attribute/stats are broader and apply to every class  Rather than a system, as in WoW, where you stack a specific skill for very specific outcomes, Ex. Strength for additional Physical Damage, the attributes are all broader.

These are the 4 Primary statistics.  These are all universally useful to all of the varied Classes, Attack includes spell damage as well as physical damage, critical hit chance applies to both as well, and I think Armor and HP are obvious. The key distinction with attributes vs. secondary attributes is that attributes are raised as you level up, while secondary attributes are only obtainable through investing points into traits or wearing gear with a secondary attribute.

Power - Increases Attack
Precision - Increases Critical Hit Chance
Toughness - Increases Armor
Vitality - Increase Max HP

On top of this there are 5 secondary attributes that I mentioned earlier, they are as follows..

Condition Damage - Increases damage dealt by ALL conditions
Condition Duration - Increases duration of ALL conditions
Boon Duration - Increases duration of all Boons (Buffs)
Critical Damage - Increases the damage dealt on a Critical Hit
Healing Power - Increases healing dealt by any abilities

These are the various attributes you will primarily be dealing with when building your character.  As you might be able to imagine there is a lot of versatility offered here and there is no specific build that will necessarily shine through, at least that would be the aim.  Every Primary Attribute is vital for every Class, without any Vitality or Toughness your odds of staying alive are sizeably diminished, without any Power and Precision your damage overall drops.  So, essentially all this information leads to a very anti-climactic finish, the best Attributes to stack are determined by what best fits your build and your playstyle.

I was leaning against listing the other 8 Attributes (1 for Each Class), but they are important attributes.  The key distinctions of these are that they are linked to a Class, only obtainable through Traits, and all directly related to the unique feature of each Class.

Guardian - Willpower - Reduces the recharge on all Virtues
Warrior - Brawn - Improves the damage of Warrior adrenaline attacks
Engineer - Ingenuity - Reduces the cooldown on all tool belt skills
Thief - Cunning - Reduces the recharge of Steal
Elementalist - Intelligence - Reduces the recharge of the Elemental Attunements
Mesmer - Guile - Reduces the recharge on all shatter skills
Ranger - Empathy - Improves pet attributes
Necromancer - Hunger - Increases the size of the life force pool

If you do not completely understand the Unique Attributes I reccomend you further research unique class features.  The GW2 wiki is quite a good source for information and if you want to better understand some of the core mechanics of the game it is a phenomenal source.  Some things will inevitably be inaccurate, but much of it is accurate, to the best of anyone's knowledge.

http://wiki.guildwar.../wiki/Main_Page

#4 diggdugg

diggdugg

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostRyahask, on 09 August 2012 - 05:07 AM, said:

In GW2 the attribute/stats are broader and apply to every class  Rather than a system, as in WoW, where you stack a specific skill for very specific outcomes, Ex. Strength for additional Physical Damage, the attributes are all broader.

These are the 4 Primary statistics.  These are all universally useful to all of the varied Classes, Attack includes spell damage as well as physical damage, critical hit chance applies to both as well, and I think Armor and HP are obvious. The key distinction with attributes vs. secondary attributes is that attributes are raised as you level up, while secondary attributes are only obtainable through investing points into traits or wearing gear with a secondary attribute.

Power - Increases Attack
Precision - Increases Critical Hit Chance
Toughness - Increases Armor
Vitality - Increase Max HP

On top of this there are 5 secondary attributes that I mentioned earlier, they are as follows..

Condition Damage - Increases damage dealt by ALL conditions
Condition Duration - Increases duration of ALL conditions
Boon Duration - Increases duration of all Boons (Buffs)
Critical Damage - Increases the damage dealt on a Critical Hit
Healing Power - Increases healing dealt by any abilities

These are the various attributes you will primarily be dealing with when building your character.  As you might be able to imagine there is a lot of versatility offered here and there is no specific build that will necessarily shine through, at least that would be the aim.  Every Primary Attribute is vital for every Class, without any Vitality or Toughness your odds of staying alive are sizeably diminished, without any Power and Precision your damage overall drops.  So, essentially all this information leads to a very anti-climactic finish, the best Attributes to stack are determined by what best fits your build and your playstyle.

I was leaning against listing the other 8 Attributes (1 for Each Class), but they are important attributes.  The key distinctions of these are that they are linked to a Class, only obtainable through Traits, and all directly related to the unique feature of each Class.

Guardian - Willpower - Reduces the recharge on all Virtues
Warrior - Brawn - Improves the damage of Warrior adrenaline attacks
Engineer - Ingenuity - Reduces the cooldown on all tool belt skills
Thief - Cunning - Reduces the recharge of Steal
Elementalist - Intelligence - Reduces the recharge of the Elemental Attunements
Mesmer - Guile - Reduces the recharge on all shatter skills
Ranger - Empathy - Improves pet attributes
Necromancer - Hunger - Increases the size of the life force pool

If you do not completely understand the Unique Attributes I reccomend you further research unique class features.  The GW2 wiki is quite a good source for information and if you want to better understand some of the core mechanics of the game it is a phenomenal source.  Some things will inevitably be inaccurate, but much of it is accurate, to the best of anyone's knowledge.

http://wiki.guildwar.../wiki/Main_Page

wow did you just type that ?

or copy and paste? otherwise you type fast

#5 Ryahask

Ryahask

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ATK]

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

View Postdiggdugg, on 09 August 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

wow did you just type that ?

or copy and paste? otherwise you type fast

Typed it, though admittedly I had to look up a few of the specific names myself. By no means did I recall it all off the top of my head.

Heh, not fast enoguh though either way, essentially typed the same thing as you just *slightly* more long winded.

Edited by Ryahask, 09 August 2012 - 05:14 AM.

#6 Hatemachine

Hatemachine

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thanks to all for the tips. :-)

#7 Hatemachine

Hatemachine

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Postdiggdugg, on 09 August 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

cmon man you gotta look around a bit --

check out the gw2 wiki it explains alot

i will start you out though

power = damage
vitality = health
toughness = armor
precision= crit

if you want a defensive warrior stack toughness and vitiality
glass cannon warrior stack power

there is more to it though

but no , mages dont need a specific attribute, and neither do warriors -- you skew the stats to how you want to play them

I have been looking, just not in the right places. :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gear, stats, professions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users