• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pmc967

Pmc967

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

So far i have been abit disappointed with with lack of build diversity with a thief so i thought i would try something a little different.

So i have created a stealth blinding build with plently of crit damage.

http://gw2skills.net...Nuak1sKZQxmiZJA

The builds focus is on 4 different goals.

1. Entering and striking from stealth as much as possible for automatic crit strikes from stealth (this build provides 4 seperate ways to enter stealth without initiative cost)

2. Using stealth utilities and weapon slot 1 attacks from stealth to keep initiative as high as possible

3. Using stealth to blind debuff foes to mitigate damage

4. Use weapons for mobility and condition removal instead of just relying on dodge and purge utilities

Ok so lets discuss how i achieve these the above things in my build.

Weapon choice:
D/P - this combo provides the meat of the damage for this build. Backstab is the hardest hitting ability from stealth if you achieve a flanking strike. Also it costs zero initiative to use to maximize the first strikes trait. Shadow shot provides an extra blind and an extra shadowstep if needed. Heart seeker is a very useful finisher plus your only leap finisher to use in a smoke field for an added stealth combo finisher.

S/D - This combo provides the utility you need to survive against condition builds and control builds. Infiltrator strike is a great way to open a battle if you lack a stealth. It provides a shadowstep plus the ability to retreat while breaking stuns and removing conditions. Flanking strike is useful to avoid directional attacks if you dont have an dodge handy. It also provides a means to get to a flanking position on your foe. Tactical strike from stealth on the sword is another useful blind you can apply if necessary. Dancing dagger is a useful cripple but also provides an aoe blind bebuff if used within your smoke field. Cloak & dagger is useful as a stealth ability if you dont have any of your stealth utilities off CD.

Weapon Summary: These weapons are used to aid in high spike damage with the ability to tactically retreat if necessary. These weapons provide you with the mobility you need to make up for the lack of vigor for constant dodging. They also go hand in hand with providing good blind debuff support.

Utilities  
Hide in shadows - obvious pick because its a heal skill with a stealth attached

Shadow refuge - Provides an area stealth with healing attached also affecting allies for an added bonus

Shadow trap - another steath setup skill that provides a shadow step

Smoke screen - gives you a projectile block barrier + a blind and a smoke field to launch other stealth finishers from such as heart seeker

Elite Skill
Theives guild - provides extra attack power when necessary but can also be used as a distraction for a tactical retreat

Utility Summary: All these utilities provide you with means to enter stealth without initiative cost while blinding the enemy wasting their attack CDs. Also they provide extra healing support and shadow steps for that extra bit of utility of movement and group support.  

Traits

Build lines in order
10-25-30-0-5

Power - take Mug for the extra spike damage when stealing

Crit  - The main trait to focus on is hidden killer to increase crit chance by 50% from stealth

Shadow arts - cloaked in shadow to provide aoe blinds on stealth, infusion of shadow to regen initiative on stealth and hidden thief to give stealth on steal

Trick - 5 points for the 3 extra initiative on steal

Trait Summary - These traits make the build what it is. They maximise the benifit of stealth by providing initiative regen and blinding debuffs. They also maximise the usefulness of steal by giving it a stealth, damage and debuffing components. The traits also allow you to obtain 100% critical chance from stealth for huge burst chain attacks. Also it allows you to continually stack might the more you stealth making your attacks more and more powerful as the fights progress.

Runes and Sigils
Rune of divinity x 6 - for the armour provides an increase to crit damage by 18% and extra stat increases for all stats.

Combined with knights amulet and beserker jewel - This allows for 49% crit chance basically 100% crit from stealth when combined with hidden killer. Plus critical dmg at 48% is respectable. The reason i dont take beserker amulet is because in sPVP and tPVP you need higher health values that will help you survive. The knights amulet allows my build to have just under 20k hp with a very decent amount of toughness.

Weapon sigils

D/P - sigil of air / sigil of purity
S/D - sigil of purity / sigil of air

Sigils Summary - The reason for sigil or air is for that little bit of extra spike damage. Plus sigil of purity to take adavtage of my high crit rate to help purge conditions which fits nicely with infiltrator strike which also removes a condition on return.

Overall Summary
So the build is focused on 4 things as i stated in the goals sections
1. Entering and striking from stealth as much as possible for automatic crit strikes from stealth (this build provides 4 seperate ways to enter stealth without initiative cost)

2. Using stealth utilities and weapon slot 1 attacks from stealth to keep initiative as high as possible

3. Using stealth to blind debuff foes to mitigate damage

4. Use weapons for mobility and condition removal instead of just relying on dodge and purge utilities

The build is stealth focused with lots of crit damage. Mobility comes with weapon use along with your survivability. The build sacrifices ultimate damage glass canon designs for a survivable hit and run approach that is good 1v1 as a roamer but also very useful in a group situation.

I hope this opens up the discussion for non vemon builds for sPVP. Let me know what you think.  

Cheers.

Edited by Pmc967, 10 August 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#2 Nore

Nore

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:20 AM

Disclaimer - over 3 bwe and 2 stress test I am reaching a point where I gonna switch to engi or mesmer for release , I tried a dozen different builds and came to conclusion that I can do better with other professions .

Now on  your particular build:
like :
-purity sigils
-decent crit chance
-decent HP

dislike:
-reliance on stealth -reveal debuff will screw you over hard
-bad mobility (no SB, no acrobatics)
-no cc
-no cc breakers

Overall stealth is not gonna help you as much as you think. CC will own you hard and you being in melee range will expose you to all sorts of nasty aoe even those brief moments you are actually in stealth. Your damage will be ok if you manage to deal it (being in range ,not being ccd, not running away for your life).

Overall it will work pretty good in random roaming sPvP without focus on objectives . It will start showing it flaws in fight on the points with heavy aoe ,cc and condition usage

Edited by Nore, 10 August 2012 - 05:24 AM.

#3 Thelbanor

Thelbanor

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VMGR]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

It's nice to see that you also tried a stealth build! I had almost the same thought, combine stealth and crits while having decent survivability through cond. removals and heals through weapon skill usage.
This is what I came up with: (mind you I haven't had the chance to try it yet, cause I couldn't get on yesterday's stress test)

http://gw2skills.net...IbRuikFtGYQy8CA

I'm thinking of using D-D just because i'm more proficient in pvping that way (melee). I might play around with P-D if it turns out to be a "working" build. SB is in off-hand for mobility (IA) and escapes (DS).

I chose Hide in Shadows for the stealth and the cond. removal and also to combine it with Roll for Initiative for the diiferent cond. removal options and the much needed ini. regen.

I went for blinding powder of course due to stealthing but also for the blinds. I'm still undecided if Shadow Refuge would work better by using finishers since it provides a combo field..

The other utility skill is shadowstep for more mobility and the elite skill is Th. Guild to use it with the bonus from Lyssa armor. (Clear all conditions and get all boons for 5 secs while using an elite skill). I'm thinking about using it as a gtfo option or a quick stomp one depending on the situation.

As far as jewel/amulet are concerned, for starters I chose soldier/berserker but it seems to me it may be a bit too much. I'll tinker with these a bit, maybe swap them or add the knight one somewhere in there..

Finally, i'm thinking about using nullification/ice sigils on the daggers or even ice/ice for debuffing/cc or just more cc. Not really sure if the Hobbling sigil is really worth it on the SB, but the idea is to improve on DS a bit more. I guess that also needs to be tested.

I would really like to hear your thoughts and/or recommendations! I apologise for the lenght of the post and thanks for reading!

Edited by Dav0s, 10 August 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#4 Feyted

Feyted

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostPmc967, on 10 August 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Crit  - The main trait to focus on is hidden killer to increase crit chance by 50% from stealth

This sets crit chance to 50%, not increase by 50%.

#5 Khdrajal

Khdrajal

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostFeyted, on 10 August 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

This sets crit chance to 50%, not increase by 50%.

What he's trying to say...Side strike is actually a better trait for you, provided that you attack from behind

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stealth, critical damage, blinding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users