41 replies to this topic

#31 Return0

Return0

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Posttijo, on 10 August 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I didn't get a SSD for gaming, but since i have one, i might as well install a few games on it if i got the space, GW1 had noticeable better performance on a SSD in crowded kamadan since it has to load a lot of textures from the HDD for example. Some people noticed stuttering in GW2 on slower HDDs due to similar situations. If you look at past build threads, we've been recommending the SSD once the other components were taken care of and the person's budget still allowed it.

I did run into situations where i had to page some stuff to the drive (work related) and man was i glad to have the SSD at that time. Like you said you don't get a SSD primarily for gaming, you get it for the fast access times and faster reads/writes for other programs and the OS.
It's not like I'm against ssds or something (I also use a ssd as my system-drive) but I don't think a ssd suits the "casual PC-user" since the system needs to be adjusted (e.g. systemssetting to reduce R/W-cycles like turn of winsearch and more complex stuff).
The more adjustment the better (as long as you know, what you're doing :P ).
Just like I said: ssds are nice tools but you have to use them properly

#32 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DEX]

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'd just like to tell you that I don't mind Reinstalling stuff.
I've reinstalled items tons of times.
I'm not exactly a noob to computers, I'm just not up to date with the hardware.

Being someone who watches a lot of movies and series and the stuff... My HDD is quite full.
So I DO require plenty of space, hence the 1TB HDD.

If I have to reinstall, then I don't mind doing that, I don't mind if I have to install a "certain" kind of OS since I have done that plenty in the past.
The current version however is running on the factory settings and is cluttered with useless crap they put up on it, I've removed what I could.

It's also been about a year since I've had this laptop and I think it is about time to reinstall it xD.

On my C: I have 75GB left of the 452 GB around 150/452 on my D.

I would like to make a Correction to what I said before though.
It would seem that I don't have 1 1TB HDD but rather 2 500GB ones:
st9500325AS Apparently they're 5400 RPM (DOH!)

So the D drive is in fact NOT a partition but a seperate HDD. And that I have 2 HDD Bays.

Edited by Ilesyt, 10 August 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#33 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well, there we go, your problem might lie the almost full HDD, 5400RPM doesn't help, but a HDD that is almost full will still cause performance drops. I'd clear up some space on the HDD and see if it helps. If the used space indicator in computer is orange or red, you definitely need to do some cleanup, especially if it's a system drive.

Edited by tijo, 10 August 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#34 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

1) Would putting the dat file on the other disk help since it's slightly faster and a different HDD.
2) The C file is still blue, but I'll try to clean it up a bit
3) If that doesn't help I should reinstall ? Should I then reinstall on the D: Drive ?

4) If we were to ignore all that and I would get myself another SDD (or Hybrid ?) Which one should I get ? Keep in mind that next year I will buy a new laptop and would need to put it in there too and I will want it to stay with me for another 3 years. Try to stay around the 200€ range ? Or lower if possible ? :P

#35 Return0

Return0

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's always the same with Windows: The longer you use it the, the slower it gets.

Cleaning up can bring back some performance but a new, clean installation will always top that.
BUT I only recommend this, if you're sure what you're doing or you don't mind losing data.

#36 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3337 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Obvious question, but - is it slow to load a level every time, or just the first time? If it's just the first time, then you are probably downloading the (updated) level to be added to the gw2.dat.

Do you have GW2 installed in a directory (such as C:\games\GW2) where permissions are not a problem?

#37 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, I've done tons of installations, there's no problem, I've got a 1.5TB eHDD so I can use that to save the necessary files.

It'll be a pain to reinstall stuff, but oh well.

But I'm moving stuff from my C Drive to my D Drive, in about 15 mins I'll have cleaned up 50 GB.
I'll see how that runs in GW2 this stress test.

@Quaker:
I put the dat in C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2 Beta so yeah it shouldn't have any problem there.

The first load is like AGES, 2-3 mins (when logging in), then it usually takes me 1-2 mins.

But when I log out and log back in, it's the same story, first load takes me 2-3 mins and the other maps are then 1-2 mins. It's not unusual to find that when I'm in sPvP that they have already started fighting when I have finally loaded the map.

Edited by Ilesyt, 10 August 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#38 Return0

Return0

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostIlesyt, on 10 August 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

It'll be a pain to reinstall stuff, but oh well.
If it's a pain, I wouldn't do it.
As long as the pain caused by the loading isn't greather than the pain caused by a new installation, it just isn't worth it ;)

#39 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3337 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostIlesyt, on 10 August 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

@Quaker:
I put the dat in C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2 Beta so yeah it shouldn't have any problem there.
That is the worst place to put it. That is exactly where permissions can be an issue because Windows 7 likes to protect that folder.
Create a folder such as C:\games\gw2 and move all the files from your current folder to there (and then delete the old folder).

Edited by Quaker, 10 August 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#40 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostReturn0, on 10 August 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

If it's a pain, I wouldn't do it.
As long as the pain caused by the loading isn't greather than the pain caused by a new installation, it just isn't worth it ;)

I compare it with working out.
It's a pain to work out, but afterwards I feel great!

Luckily I work out more than once a year xD
Try to do it several times a week (2-3) but that spot of fat on my stomache just won't go away...

Uhm ok enough about working out xD

But yeah, it feels great afterwards, but I'm a lazy bastard so it's difficult to start so I'll first check how it goes during the stress test.

I'll have around 100 GB less on C :P

@Quaker, ok I'll try after all this moving around of files :/

Edited by Ilesyt, 10 August 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#41 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

So I did all that stuff, clean up my C drive and stuff. It's now less than half full. And I got like 10% less waiting time, but it's still a hell of a lot :(

#42 SamaelTheTwelveWingedAngel

SamaelTheTwelveWingedAngel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

hmm. i have sometimes 12 minutes loading time, even with all other programs closed. i hope its the harddrive because thats not too expensive ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users