After having a really hard time trying to size down the selection of professions I would like to play from everything but Warrior, to Mesmer-Ele-Engineer-Guardian, I still can't decide which of those 4 I should make my first (I'll surely have alts) character.
I plan on doing WvWvW most of the time with sPVP in between. But PVE leveling should be fun too of course.
What I look for most in a profession:
- Versatility and Flexibility: I want lots of viable builds and lots of viable skills so I don't have to run around having the exact same build all the time with maybe changing a few skills some times.
- Skill Ceiling: When I die in PVP (when not overwhelmed) I want to die because I didn't use my available skills to the fullest, not because the opposing class was simply a bad matchup and destroying me. I want a complex class that I can master.
- Control and Mobility: The most important skills in PVP are controlling your opponents and being able to move swiftly around the battlefield IMHO.
- I generally prefer melee combat
- Lots of Group Support
- Big selection of weapons, I like pretty much all besides staff
- Lots of Control skills
- Mobility with Teleport and Leaps
- Ability to Burst
- I'm not to keen on the whole "Knight in Shinging Armor" style reminiscent of Paladins
- Class Mechanic extremely boring
- Probably expected to be complete support+heal in PVE dungeons?
- Don't like most utility skills besides the meditations (Teleports yay!)
- Summoned Weapons look cheesy (not sure if they are good but don't like their style)
- I'm an Engineer in real life so I dig the style
- Medium armor pretty much has the best looking armor sets from the screenshots I've seen
- Flexibility with Kits and Toolbelt skills
- Lots of Control
- Lots of Conditions
- Most Kits suck IMHO (Mines, Elixir Gun, Tool kit), I really only like Flamethrower and Grenade Kits. Don't dige the style of Mines, Elixir Gun, Tool kit, I don't know if they are any good in PVP.
- Tiny Weapon Selection (though pistol and rifle are cool)
- Not sure about their mobility, though seems limited
- Not sure about Turrets which make up a huge amount of Utility skills (probably ties into the low mobility argument)
- Don't think they can really burst
- Love the style and class concept (Avatar!)
- Attunement is an awesome class mechanic (love having 20 weapon skills at the ready at all times)
- Conjured Weapons look awesome and give even more skills
- Nice selection of utility skills (I like the cantrips, conjurs and arcane stuff, though conjures = bad from what I read)
- Good mobility
- Good amount of conditions and control skills
- Can be bursty
- Lots of self-combos
- Conjured Weapons are really underpowered from what I read?
- Long cooldown on most weapon and utility skills
- Not much weapons to choose from, and I only really like double daggers and maybe, maybe a combination of dagger+focus or scepter
- Love the whole class concept with Illusions, distractions, "Mind tricks" and Mesmer was the most interesting class in GW1
- I like pretty much all their weapon selections. Greatsword and Sword+Pistol are really badass for a caster
- Stealth skills. I love stealth. Would have rolled a thief if they didn't suck in melee and would be more flexible in their gameplay.
- Has the most dazes/interrupts of all classes
- Good amount of conditions
- Really cool selection of utility spells, I like pretty much all of them
- Class mechanic is - while flashy and cool - really bad from what I read?
- Not much control as far as I know?
- Can't really burst or has to setup their burst with (slow) illusions first?
- Bad in WvWvW?
- Not sure about their mobility, probably low?
Edited by AetherMcLoud, 10 August 2012 - 12:28 PM.