• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 evilbob

evilbob

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

So I can mail anything to anyone else in the world instantly, regardless of my location.  However, to get an item to an alt, I have to stop what I'm doing and trek back to a bank/crafting station/someplace that has access to my bank, deposit it, and then stop whatever my alt is doing and go through the same process to retrieve it.  Considering you can access your mail from anywhere in the world and also teleport all crafting items to your bank from any location, this interaction seems curious.

Could I also simply mail the item to anyone else in the world with the instructions for them to mail it to my alt?  (Presumably someone else I trusted.)  Secondarily, does anyone know what the logic behind not being able to mail to one's alt would be?

#2 Healix

Healix

Seraph Guardian

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1062 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

Yes you could get someone else to mail your alt.

The reason? If I were to guess...

Stuff doesn't just magically pop from your character to someone's mail or your bank. A little birdy actually takes it for you. Combine that with the assumption you are your character / all characters are you, as in if your display name was "evilbob" then all your characters are the one character "evilbob" but in alternate spaces. If you look at it that way, you can't mail yourself because your alternate character does not exist at that point in time. When you switch characters, it's like entering an alternate dimension in which your other character is and was the one "evilbob".

"Anti-gemstore crowd" theory:

Since you can fit 10 mails on a character, you would be able to gain an additional 50 slots of storage space, at 5 items per message. Across all characters, that would be 250 slots, which in bank terms is equal to 8.3 bank tabs which would cost $63.

There wasn't a cap on creating personal guilds though (for guild banks), so the whole forcing you to buy theory is moot.

#3 evilbob

evilbob

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

It seems unlikely to me that there'd be a lore-specific reason, especially when you cannot "hand" something to someone standing next to you, but have to tie it to a little bird so it can fly two feet.  :)  (Don't get me wrong:  I think using the mail system is great, and I like the way it works.  It's just a little lore-screwy to not have a "trade" option.)

The gemstore thing seems equally as unlikely to me.

Well, whatever the reason, it's good to know the 2-step mailing system would work.  It's just weird to think of constantly asking guildmates (or whoever) to play "fed ex" when there doesn't seem to be a real reason not to mail to your alt.

#4 Fatalis

Fatalis

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

What's to stop you from using mail as an alternate storage? You can just constantly send things to alts indefinitely to get infinite storage.

#5 evilbob

evilbob

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostFatalis, on 12 August 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

What's to stop you from using mail as an alternate storage? You can just constantly send things to alts indefinitely to get infinite storage.
What's to stop me from doing it now?  (And why would anyone care if I did?)

#6 Fatalis

Fatalis

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

View Postevilbob, on 12 August 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

What's to stop me from doing it now?  (And why would anyone care if I did?)

You can't sent mail to alts on your account, so that's why you cant do it now.

Anet cares because you're completely bypassing the idea of a limited inventory.

#7 evilbob

evilbob

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostFatalis, on 12 August 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

You can't sent mail to alts on your account, so that's why you cant do it now.

Anet cares because you're completely bypassing the idea of a limited inventory.
My whole point is that I absolutely can send mail to alts.  It's just a two step process instead of a one step process.

I really doubt that AN's business model is going to be broken by people sending loot to themselves.  It's just not a very useful or organized way to store items.  Besides, you don't have to purchase bank/bag slots to play the game, anyway.

#8 Fatalis

Fatalis

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Anet sells convienience, which is something bank space/bag slots provide. There would be no point to even having an inventory if everyone could perpetually have an unlimited space by just sending mail to alts.

If you're willing to go through the hassle of having someone else mail your stuff back, then so be it, but it doesn't make sense for Anet to allow you to send mail to yourself when you already have the bank.

#9 Healix

Healix

Seraph Guardian

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1062 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

During the stress test, I noticed that mail sent to one of my characters was available on all of my characters, so your account can only store 10 player sent messages. If you were able to mail yourself, you'd basically be doing just that, mailing the item to your current character. It would basically be the account bank + bank portal, making the actual item useless.

#10 evilbob

evilbob

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

Fatalis:  Completely disagree with your points and logic, but I don't think we're going to convince each other here.

xphenox123:  Please troll elsewhere.

View PostHealix, on 12 August 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

During the stress test, I noticed that mail sent to one of my characters was available on all of my characters, so your account can only store 10 player sent messages. If you were able to mail yourself, you'd basically be doing just that, mailing the item to your current character.
Thank you for an actual response!  This makes more sense.  Obviously quest rewards aren't shared, but if actual mail items were shared then it'd at least be a reason why it would be odd for you to mail things to yourself.

It still seems very weird that you don't have to return to the bank to store mats, and you can send an item to a friend from anywhere in the world, but to get an item to your alt you have to stop what you're doing and go back to your bank with two characters.  Waypoints are a big help but they still don't cover how easy it'd be to just mail an item to yourself.

#11 Redhawk2007

Redhawk2007

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

I agree that this an an unnecessary hassle. One of the things that sucks about all RPG games is inventory management. Most players complain about it and clearly hate it, yet developers always seem to feel the need to make this part of the game an unnecessary and tedious chore. This is one of my biggest gripes with GW2 at the moment. Adequate inventory space is not a "convenience" it is a necessity. If it wasn't then they wouldn't have to bar you from mailing to your alts to force you into buying bank space, which is the only rational reason for their barring you sending stuff to alts. If you wish to beat WoW then every aspect of the game should aim at being superior to WoW, whether it's inventory management, using the ah or selling to merchants. In WoW I can easily ship 10 items at a time to an alt and they arrive instantly. Almost everyone in WoW has a bank alt whose sole purpose is to clear stuff out of your bags, store it or sell it on the ah for you.

So far I haven't checked out the ah but selling to merchants and inventory management are very poorly designed and frustrating. Having to sort through everything in my inventory to sell things rather than just open my bags and drag and drop the crap on a panel in the merchant interface to sell it is a hassle and makes it easy to sell critical items by accident. The fact they had to design different bags and boxes where you can store things without fear of accidentally selling them should have been a big clue to them there was something wrong with the merchant interface and fixing that would have been easier than this convoluted bag and box system they have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users