Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Linking Guild Wars account to GW2 post pre-purchase?


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Vingilot

Vingilot

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

So I bought GW2 already and I decided that I would never buy GW for the HoM points. Well that changed and I bought GW and manage to get 20 points in the HoM. They say that linking accounts at the moment has been disabled for now and will be open again prior to launch. Has anyone heard anything officially from ArenaNet concerning this? I spent a lot of time to get that 20 points and I would like to know when I can re-link my accounts. I am getting a bit nervous since release is just over a week away.

Thanks.

#2 Ingway

Ingway

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

I'm also curious about this... i'm planning on buying gw1, so i can get the skins, since they are unlimited and i get to see the story of gw1 as an bonus.

#3 ogrejd

ogrejd

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1054 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MOoN]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Sadly, they haven't answered with anything other than that you'll be able to link at some point. :/

#4 Ingway

Ingway

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postogrejd, on 14 August 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

Sadly, they haven't answered with anything other than that you'll be able to link at some point. :/

But didn't they also say Hom won't be avaliable right away at lauch? Or am i mistaken? If so i think they still have a little time to add the method before Hom is implemented.

I think i might buy the platinum edtion for gw afterall... having acess to unlimited uses of armor and weapon skins by paying only 20$, and getting to see gw's story... sounds really good to me.

#5 Firstborn12

Firstborn12

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostIngway, on 14 August 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

But didn't they also say Hom won't be avaliable right away at lauch? Or am i mistaken? If so i think they still have a little time to add the method before Hom is implemented.

I believe they said that the HoM would be ready prior to launch. alought I cant find anything supporting that on wiki. But there are pictures of some the weapons since the 1st Stress test this month. also they already showed the HoM armor for the Heavy Armor, the Hammer and a that mini Moa Chick. So its safe to say that "it is ready"

p.s. 50 points to all if you understood both puns.

#6 Babizokahh

Babizokahh

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:48 AM

I also would like to know that but so far, no word on this. i'm a gw1 player for some years now, but i had an imense trouble linking the accounts on my pre purchase. I worked hard on my points, and tho i know its just cosmetics, i would like to have my HoM linked and ready at launch as much as anyone else.

Edited by Babizokahh, 15 August 2012 - 02:48 AM.


#7 Trise

Trise

    Secret Spy Bunny

  • Members
  • 3064 posts
  • Location:CT, USA
  • Guild Tag:[Odin]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

Yes, you can link your accounts any time. In fact, you can do that right now through the Guild Wars 2 Forums (under the "Account" tab): https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum.

#8 Nizdane

Nizdane

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

Trise, all i see is the option to change your password.  I don't see any linking option.

#9 eviator

eviator

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

There pretty much has to be a way to at least link accounts prior to launch, otherwise the whole "Reserve your GW1 name" thing wouldn't work. Still HoM is a little different from that. I seem to recall, though I can't find it now, that linking HoM rewards was done through an in-game item.

#10 Trise

Trise

    Secret Spy Bunny

  • Members
  • 3064 posts
  • Location:CT, USA
  • Guild Tag:[Odin]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hm... seems that's no longer connected to the download option...

At any rate, from the FAQ on that same site: https://www.guildwar...n/services/faq/

Quote

When do I link my Guild Wars account with my Guild Wars 2 account?

You may link your Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 accounts when you register your account or you may do so in the future through the Account Management interface.


The Account Management interface is inside the GW2 client itself, accessible when the game goes live (or, presumably, tomorrow's Stress Test).

Edited by Trise, 15 August 2012 - 03:12 AM.


#11 Izardoz

Izardoz

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1102 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BCT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:13 AM

this is the most current (actually quite old) information on obtaining your rewards in-game:

Quote

To obtain these rewards, a player must first "declare an ancestor" using a Guild Wars 2 in-game item[1]. This allows the player to link their GW1 account to their GW2 account.
Then, the player must visit an NPC in the GW2 Hall of Monuments, which can be reached from one's home instance[2]. The NPC can then generate as many of the items as often as the player would like. [3]
Rewards and the titles earned via the Hall of Monuments are available to all characters in the player's Guild Wars 2 account. Each GW1 account can be linked to only one GW2 account and vice-versa.


#12 Healix

Healix

    Seraph Guardian

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1062 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

The last mention of it was...

Linking will be available "prior to release". Only linked accounts are valid for name reservations (and they mentioned this point), so it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be available prior to the 25th.

The ability to change your account name will also be available "prior to release". All account management "upgrades" will most likely come at the same time.

All of it will be done through the account management. The account management is: http://account.guildwars2.com

Lastly, if you can't stand waiting...
Spoiler

Edited by Healix, 15 August 2012 - 03:38 AM.


#13 Vingilot

Vingilot

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

View PostHealix, on 15 August 2012 - 03:37 AM, said:

The last mention of it was...

Linking will be available "prior to release". Only linked accounts are valid for name reservations (and they mentioned this point), so it's pretty much guaranteed that it will be available prior to the 25th.

The ability to change your account name will also be available "prior to release". All account management "upgrades" will most likely come at the same time.

All of it will be done through the account management. The account management is: http://account.guildwars2.com

Lastly, if you can't stand waiting...
Spoiler

Mind telling me where I can get it manually linked? I can't seem to find the option through the Guild Wars 2 account management, do I have to do it through NCSoft.com or?

#14 R.Shayne

R.Shayne

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

At least you dont have my problem.

Got into the closed beta (before pre-purchase) created a new account using my e-mail address.  Purchased the game and went through the link process.  The link process ask for the e-mail address for my guild wars account (it did not ask for my log in name - got a screen shot to prove it) so I put in my the e-mail address.  I now have my Guild Wars 2 account linked to my Guild Wars 2 close beta account.

Contacted customer support on the issue 3 times,

1.  First time got a response that the closed beta account no longer exist (wrong when I tried to link my GW2 account to my GW1 account it was still linked to the closed beta account).
2.  Second time I am pretty sure customer service did not read any part of it since they mention that linking is closed for now and that I would eventually be able to link my two accounts (the problem is it is linked.)
3.  Third time pretty much told there is nothing they can do about it at this time but they MAY fix it later.

A H.of M. with thirty points and I will not be able to access a single thing on pre-launch or even after it goes live.

Edited by R.Shayne, 15 August 2012 - 04:37 AM.


#15 Healix

Healix

    Seraph Guardian

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1062 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostVingilot, on 15 August 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

Mind telling me where I can get it manually linked? I can't seem to find the option through the Guild Wars 2 account management, do I have to do it through NCSoft.com or?

Support: http://support.guildwars2.com

View PostR.Shayne, on 15 August 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

At least you dont have my problem.

If you linked your old beta account, you didn't actually link the accounts. You upgraded* your old beta account. *Upgrading a beta account basically deletes and remakes it.

#16 R.Shayne

R.Shayne

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

View PostHealix, on 15 August 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

If you linked your old beta account, you didn't actually link the accounts. You upgraded* your old beta account. *Upgrading a beta account basically deletes and remakes it.

If that was true I could link my upgraded Guild Wars 2 Account to my Guild Wars 1 account, I can't.  When I try it tells me my account is already linked.

I discovered the problem when I linked my wife's GW2 account to her GW1 account.  Went through the link process and put in her account email address and got error "No account found", got it to work when I put in her GW1 log in name.  That was when I realized that I had just linked to my GW2 Closed Beta account and not my GW1 account.

#17 R.Shayne

R.Shayne

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostTrise, on 15 August 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

Yes, you can link your accounts any time. In fact, you can do that right now through the Guild Wars 2 Forums (under the "Account" tab): https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum.

Been having a lot of problems lately but I did stumble onto something that my help others.

https://register.guildwars2.com/

Below the question it ask if you have a Guild Wars account, click yes.  It then ask for "E-mail / Account Name"  if only it had asked for that when I was linking my accounts.

#18 Raiden_Kyo

Raiden_Kyo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • Location:Redmond, Washington
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Well I have the opposite situation, I bought GW1 awhile ago, but the thing is its tied to an Email that i can't use anymore, I can't seem to recover the password or anything its basically a lost cause, so i'm worried i won't be able to link my accounts and get all the stuff i unlocked through hall of monuments. I Mean i know my Guild Wars account information, but i'm hoping they don't have any of that crap like confirm your account cause then i guess i won't be getting any HoM rewards, that would suck :(

Edited by Raiden_Kyo, 15 August 2012 - 07:34 AM.


#19 ogrejd

ogrejd

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1054 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MOoN]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostR.Shayne, on 15 August 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Been having a lot of problems lately but I did stumble onto something that my help others.

https://register.guildwars2.com/

Below the question it ask if you have a Guild Wars account, click yes.  It then ask for "E-mail / Account Name"  if only it had asked for that when I was linking my accounts.

That's only for when you're in the process of registering your GW2 account (and causes problems for people with old email addresses linked to their GW1 account that they couldn't change after linking to their NCSoft account - e-mails sent to the old address, the username being changed and becoming inaccessable, etc., etc., a complete mess).

#20 Nizdane

Nizdane

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

I tried to get my accounts manually linked by opening a help ticket.  Here was the response:

"Hello,

We have recently encountered errors when manually linking some Guild Wars 2 accounts with Guild Wars accounts. While this error does not affect all accounts, we have had to halt providing this service at this time to prevent any other accounts from being affected by this issue.

Please note, we realize that players are anxious to have their accounts linked so that they can claim their reserved Guild Wars character names and Hall of Monuments rewards. However, do not worry. The account management pages will contain a feature that will allow players to link their accounts as intended. This feature will be available prior to the Headstart events.

Regards,

GM Vagabond
Guild Wars Support Team"

#21 MysticAngelic

MysticAngelic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • Location:B.C., Canada
  • Guild Tag:[SE]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

I'm also waiting for the option to enable linking GW1 to GW2 account in our account management.
This is what I received from support this morning:

Quote

Response Via Email (Taredis) 08/16/2012 12:06 PM Hi there;

Well we are very sorry to hear you ran into all this trouble when trying to set up your accounts. If you already registered Guild Wars 2, but you did not choose to link to an existing Guild Wars account, you will be able to link them later, but not right now. Don't worry, you're not locked out of the Hall of Monuments forever or anything like that. We're just not quite ready with the tools to edit your Guild Wars 2 account after registration. Keep an eye on http://www.guildwars2.com/ for the latest news as soon as it's ready.

Guild Wars 2 will officially launch on Tuesday, August 28th. Players who pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 will have 3 days of Headstart access beginning on Saturday, August 25th.

You can get all the latest news by watching the main site http://www.guildwars2.com/ , the blog http://www.arena.net/blog/ , our Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/guildwars2 , and our Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2

Thanks,
Chase
Guild Wars Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com/

I hope this helps and hopefully we could get this feature implemented before the head start launch which is just 8 days away....

Also people who use twitter and facebook please help bring this up to concern and we might be able to get a confirmation or response quicker that way. They're the best ways to get in touch with the devs. :)

Edited by MysticAngelic, 16 August 2012 - 11:20 PM.


#22 JWZ

JWZ

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SUP]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostTrise, on 15 August 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

The Account Management interface is inside the GW2 client itself, accessible when the game goes live (or, presumably, tomorrow's Stress Test).

The Account Management interface is the website (http://account.guildwars2.com/) , but currently it doesn't have many options yet (still work in progress).

#23 MysticAngelic

MysticAngelic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • Location:B.C., Canada
  • Guild Tag:[SE]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

View PostNizdane, on 16 August 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

I tried to get my accounts manually linked by opening a help ticket.  Here was the response:

"Hello,

We have recently encountered errors when manually linking some Guild Wars 2 accounts with Guild Wars accounts. While this error does not affect all accounts, we have had to halt providing this service at this time to prevent any other accounts from being affected by this issue.

Please note, we realize that players are anxious to have their accounts linked so that they can claim their reserved Guild Wars character names and Hall of Monuments rewards. However, do not worry. The account management pages will contain a feature that will allow players to link their accounts as intended. This feature will be available prior to the Headstart events.

Regards,

GM Vagabond
Guild Wars Support Team"

I just read it again closely this time and that's a good news. I hope they really get the feature implemented in our account management in less than 8 days now.

#24 Chey

Chey

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • Location:In front of my PC :p
  • Guild Tag:[SnM]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostRaiden_Kyo, on 15 August 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Well I have the opposite situation, I bought GW1 awhile ago, but the thing is its tied to an Email that i can't use anymore, I can't seem to recover the password or anything its basically a lost cause, so i'm worried i won't be able to link my accounts and get all the stuff i unlocked through hall of monuments. I Mean i know my Guild Wars account information, but i'm hoping they don't have any of that crap like confirm your account cause then i guess i won't be getting any HoM rewards, that would suck :(

Yes you can link it up ok, my gw1 account is still using a very very old email addy that i havent had access to for years, when i went to link them up, it asked for my gw1 login information (old email etc) and it specifically said that i could enter a new email addy if i did not have access to the old one, stating that my login for gw2 would be the same as for gw1 atm tho, and later they would implement the ability to change the login details to the new email,

i have been loggin in to gw2 betas etc with my gw1 (old email) details and receiving emails etc on my new addy

#25 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Guild Tag:[DGN]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostVingilot, on 14 August 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

So I bought GW2 already and I decided that I would never buy GW for the HoM points. Well that changed and I bought GW and manage to get 20 points in the HoM. They say that linking accounts at the moment has been disabled for now and will be open again prior to launch. Has anyone heard anything officially from ArenaNet concerning this? I spent a lot of time to get that 20 points and I would like to know when I can re-link my accounts. I am getting a bit nervous since release is just over a week away.

Thanks.

How did you get 20 points in such a short amount of time?

#26 Nizdane

Nizdane

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

Does anyone know if this new option to change your login name (email address) is the fix for this?  I can't figure out how it would be, unless it automatically registers your GW account when you change your login name to your GW login name (email address).  Can anyone confirm that this works?

#27 Xiondar

Xiondar

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 456 posts
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Guild Tag:[LL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

With it being only a week away now... it is a little nerve racking we haven't heard anything about it. Trying to be patient, but it would really be appreciated if they actually commented on this a little more, so we could sleep better knowing that our HoM is for sure going to be added to their account.

Edited by Xiondar, 18 August 2012 - 01:58 AM.


#28 drewman95

drewman95

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 58 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostAetherMcLoud, on 17 August 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

How did you get 20 points in such a short amount of time?

I got 13 points in about a weeks time from starting at lvl 1, but I had an old account that funded about 140k, so that helped a lot.

#29 Xiondar

Xiondar

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 456 posts
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Guild Tag:[LL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostAetherMcLoud, on 17 August 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

How did you get 20 points in such a short amount of time?

If you have an older account with a lot of B-day presents then it is possible to fund a large amount of the HoM points... alternatively, you can have people help you and get lots of the points that way. It costs an arm and a leg to get anymore than 20 points though.

They can also buy in-game currency with RL money ( A lot of people have lowered themselves to this.). It's the people that worked for it that will appreciate it more.

#30 caveslug

caveslug

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • Location:Cave
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostNizdane, on 18 August 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

Does anyone know if this new option to change your login name (email address) is the fix for this?  I can't figure out how it would be, unless it automatically registers your GW account when you change your login name to your GW login name (email address).  Can anyone confirm that this works?

I can't confirm this, but I can tell you what happened to me.

I registered my GW2 account awhile back, when it asked me if I wanted to link a GW1 account I said no.
Now yes I had a GW1 account, but it was from 2005 when the game launched. I played it for a week, didn't care for it and put it away.

Now I remembered I gave the game to my sister, so I shot her an email asking if she still had it. And to my disbelief she did, along with the note I wrote the account info for her.

Now come to find out my email address (account name) was the same for both, and even though I said not to link a GW1 account. Both accounts are linked, if I change the password it affects the other. I can only assume that the email address is whats linking the accounts.

Which is really pissing me off, as I bought the platinum edition of the game to work on HoM and lore. There really better be a way for me to change which account is linked.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users