• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cinnamonfox

Cinnamonfox

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Playing with build calculators I came across with some crit related questions I couldn't figure the answers on my own. It's partly general game mechanics, but mostly elementalist pov, so I decided to post here instead of Q&A to seek more insight.

1) Can bleed or burn ie. damaging conditions crit?

2) Is there some good use for high crit chance (precision) without increased crit damage?
[I can see some "on crit" effects on sigils etc. so emphasis on the *good* use.]

3) Air trait line increases both crit chance and crit damage but arcane spells are guaranteed crits... With a glance into runes etc. too it seems a bit tricky to build high crit dmg without gaining precision. Is high crit chance waste with 2-3 arcane spells (with lowered recharge time)?

#2 MaximumSquid

MaximumSquid

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Cinnamonfox:

Condition Damage cannot crit or be effected by +X% bonus damage Traits
You can; however, increase your condition damage temporarily with stacks of Might

I tested a lot of crit builds and Burning Precision adds such little damage that it's often not worth it even with +100 power for 10 Fire
It also only lasts 1 second so if you were planning on using it as a cover for other conditions I'd look elsewhere

It's true that the effectiveness of the Arcane spells decrease as you go up the Crit Ladder, but that's not the whole story
Arcane spells are instant cast and combo extremely well so if you build your player right they never lose efficiency

30 Air + as much Fury as you can get is a must for crit builds

For team setups try checkout the Ranger's Call of the Wild

-

Edited by MaximumSquid, 15 August 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#3 Stormseed

Stormseed

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Fang]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostMaximumSquid, on 15 August 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Condition Damage cannot crit or be effected by +X% bonus damage Traits
You can; however, increase your condition damage temporarily with stacks of Might

I was considering trying out a build that tries to maximize:

1. Combos
2. Condition Damage
3. Crits
http://gw2skills.net...YlwKrVOrkWNqYSA

I call this the "3Cs Staff build", but based on what you just wrote this may become the "2Cs Staff build" (at which point I'll just call it Captain Combos Condition Build). Seem like crit is a not a good stat to be combining with condition damage.

EDIT: The crit portion of this build did not work. I was too squishy trying specing for Precision and condition damage

Edited by Stormseed, 16 August 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#4 Stormseed

Stormseed

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostMaximumSquid, on 15 August 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

I tested a lot of crit builds and Burning Precision adds such little damage that it's often not worth it even with +100 power for 10 Fire
It also only lasts 1 second so if you were planning on using it as a cover for other conditions I'd look elsewhere

Thanks for this info.
I have gotten rid of Burning Precision and moved those 10 points to Arcane with Elemental Surge

Edited by Stormseed, 15 August 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#5 MaximumSquid

MaximumSquid

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Stormseed:

Getting 10 seconds of burn for your arcane spells seems to make a lot more sense anyway and that's just fire attuenment

Since you're staff give Frozen Ground + Arcane Blast a try. . . the extra chill duration is very noticeable

I'm trying out a Ele duo with a friend later today (him on Staff / me with Scepter)
He might be interested in that setup though if the combo we're trying doesn't work

#6 Anlyon Spellrage

Anlyon Spellrage

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1322 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

There are plenty of on crit sigils, and fast casting spells that have multiple procs, so yes, a crit build without crit damage is just fine.

Note that getting +5% damage gives you effectively +7.5% crit damage, as well as its obvious damage increase outside of crits.
Rune of the Wurm is a great rune, but often overlooked. Its pretty much 10.5% crit damage, 3% damage and 165 vit.

Yes, having a high crit chance does mean auto-crit skills are semi silly, since you'd have a chance to crit with them anyway. However, arcane spells are worth grabbing with a high crit chance (so long as you have a high crit damage). If you're just high crit chance, id go with a Glyph of Storms.

#7 Vanillea

Vanillea

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EDGE]

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Divinity runes is  not the best runes out there but a every solid way to boost your crit dmg.
High crit is definitely no a waste. As a direct dmg dealer, you would want to have somewhere between 40-50 crit and a lot of crit dmg ( 40+ ). % dmg is good too but usually harder to stack compare to crit dmg.
Arcane spell is not only good because they are auto crit but also because they are off global CD, short in cd and potentially combo finishers. Thou, if you build glass cannon, I would recommend some defensive utilities so that you can survive. Arcane for the extra burst is also welcome but you might drop easily.

#8 Stormseed

Stormseed

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostStormseed, on 15 August 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

Thanks for this info.
I have gotten rid of Burning Precision and moved those 10 points to Arcane with Elemental Surge

To follow up, this build was too squishy. Going for both crit and condition left health too low. Thought toughness would make up for it, but no.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crit, arcane, precision, critical damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users