KennoArkkan

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LD]
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hello Gw2Guru.

My girlfriend is running a Macbook with snow leopard, and she just bought gw2 in pre-sale, and she's trying to install gw2 on windows 7 using Parallels 7, but somehow she can't install the client, because when she tries to do so, the client gets stuck after downloading a little, and closes. any idea of what's going on?

here's a little pic with the details

Attached File  guidlwars2_mac_trouble.jpg   274.51K   27 downloads

I am absolutely unfamiliar with the whole Mac OS thing, I am a PC user, so i'm completely clueless D: any idea? and if it's not much asking, a possible or alternative way of installing GW2 on a Mac?

Edited by KennoArkkan, 16 August 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#2 SkinnerBox

SkinnerBox

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Guild Tag:[QQ]

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

It's a connection issue, I think, because I had the same thing happen many times. When it does that, just reclick the executable to restart the download. If it works for you, it doesn't redownload everything, it just picks up where it left off.

#3 KennoArkkan

KennoArkkan

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

well, she says that her connection is perfectly fine, and since it always follows a same pattern, it's not probably that D: she says it takes like 3 seconds, and then shuts down. every single time.

#4 firywolf

firywolf

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

I have never used parallels before but was wondering does it have free reign over memory and storage or do you have to allocate it? When reading the it sounds like allocation issue but then again I have no experience with parallels just some vmware

#5 KennoArkkan

KennoArkkan

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

Apparently you have to allocate it, by default it's 512 mb. And that's the memory those errors happened.

She told me she tried assigning 2 gb (which is all the macbook has), but the whole machine "dumbed" up and started to act weird.

Maybe that's the problem with parallels? and the main reason bootcamp is suggested?

#6 firywolf

firywolf

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostKennoArkkan, on 16 August 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Apparently you have to allocate it, by default it's 512 mb. And that's the memory those errors happened.

She told me she tried assigning 2 gb (which is all the macbook has), but the whole machine "dumbed" up and started to act weird.

Maybe that's the problem with parallels? and the main reason bootcamp is suggested?
Has she tried to allocate 1gb of ram to see if will run? Since OS require 1gb of ram I not sure you can allocated more than that.

#7 KennoArkkan

KennoArkkan

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

She tried with 1 gb, same result.

#8 Science3000

Science3000

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FLY]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

Im running GW2 on my mac and every time Ive seen/heard of anyone else doing it they all say not to run it on Parallels Its better to run it on Bootcamp with say Windows 7 installed. Thats how I run it and it runs flawless

#9 Rhodin

Rhodin

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

She will probably get performance issues running in VM software anyway, you should go down the bootcamp method, that way you will have no performance hit of running 2 OS at once. (It will be exactly like running on a windows machine)

Also as far as I am aware VM software doesn't use any kind of dedicated graphics, it will only use the integrated chip, although I could be wrong.

If you really cant bootcamp there is a wineskin out although its pretty buggy at the moment, I imagine a little after release things might iron out a bit.

(Oddly im running a backwards bootcamp kind of setup, a hackintosh with a windows dual boot and it works fine and dandy)

Edited by Rhodin, 17 August 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#10 firywolf

firywolf

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostScience3000, on 17 August 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

Im running GW2 on my mac and every time Ive seen/heard of anyone else doing it they all say not to run it on Parallels Its better to run it on Bootcamp with say Windows 7 installed. Thats how I run it and it runs flawless
Probably best idea. I just looked at requirements for parallels and it says recommended at least 4gb of ram for running windows 7 in virtual machine.

#11 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3337 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

I agree, installing Windows 7 through Bootcamp is the best idea. There could be problems trying to run games through Parrallels.
The only downside is that you need to re-boot into Windows 7 in order to play GW2 (if you were already booted up in OSX) - which doesn't seem like all that much of a biggie to me.

#12 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostQuaker, on 17 August 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

I agree, installing Windows 7 through Bootcamp is the best idea. There could be problems trying to run games through Parrallels.
The only downside is that you need to re-boot into Windows 7 in order to play GW2 (if you were already booted up in OSX) - which doesn't seem like all that much of a biggie to me.

This, even if she manages to get it running in parallels, it's possible the client just doesn't like VMs by the way, performance will still be absolutely terrible.

I'd try allocating at least 2GB of RAM (minimum requirement for GW2 anyways) to parallels (here's hoping she has at least 4GB in her macbook).

Edited by tijo, 17 August 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#13 Green

Green

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

I doubt that setup is actually supported by Anet so your kinda on your own in that regard. If she has to keep the MAC OS and needs W7 to run GW2, then yes Bootcamp is the way to go.

#14 KennoArkkan

KennoArkkan

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Very well then, bootcamp will be, thank you guys! (:

you're awesome.

#15 bluehand70

bluehand70

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BC]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Make sure to allocate more than enough disk space for your BootCamp partition.  It's been a while since I did a BootCamp install and I don't think it's very flexible in changing it after the fact, if even possible.  Getting BootCamp running with Windows may take some time, but it's worth the effort once you are done.

#16 bball2141

bball2141

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hey im running bootcamp but having the exact same problem where it gets to 10243kb then quits and pops up again. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users