• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 culblock15

culblock15

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hello, I preordered Guild Wars 2, but I noticed during the Beta event/ stress tests that my visuals werent all together that good. Is there anything dragging my computer down?

My Computer is a Hp Pavilion Slimline:

Attached File  Compstats.png   431.79K   46 downloads

Is stuff i can buy to improve? I really only need decent visuals, even on low settings.

#2 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

Windows Experience Index is pretty much worthless as far as benchmarks go, what video card do you have in there?

#3 culblock15

culblock15

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

View Posttijo, on 17 August 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Windows Experience Index is pretty much worthless as far as benchmarks go, what video card do you have in there?

Umm my computer knowledge is a bit iffy, but would that be my Nvidia GeForce GT 520?

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

View Postculblock15, on 17 August 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

Umm my computer knowledge is a bit iffy, but would that be my Nvidia GeForce GT 520?

Yup, and that's what you'll need to change if you want to have a decent framerate at higher settings. You'll also need a new power supply for that most likely, but we'll need to know it's wattage anyways should you choose to upgrade. In any case, you have a very unbalanced system, fast CPU and very weak video card.

#5 culblock15

culblock15

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

View Posttijo, on 17 August 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Yup, and that's what you'll need to change if you want to have a decent framerate at higher settings. You'll also need a new power supply for that most likely, but we'll need to know it's wattage anyways should you choose to upgrade. In any case, you have a very unbalanced system, fast CPU and very weak video card.

Any recommendations I can probably go up to around 300, but if its not a problem I'd like to know cards from different ranges.

Edited by culblock15, 17 August 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#6 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

First thing: power supply and the resolution you'll be playing at. To know what PSU you have in terms of wattage, you can either google it or open up the computer and look at the sticker on the PSU itself.

#7 culblock15

culblock15

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Posttijo, on 17 August 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

First thing: power supply and the resolution you'll be playing at. To know what PSU you have in terms of wattage, you can either google it or open up the computer and look at the sticker on the PSU itself.

I googled it and it says 220 watts from this website:
http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=12454

And my monitor is a hp 2310e  at a 1920x1080 resolution

#8 Ahiko

Ahiko

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

View Postculblock15, on 17 August 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

I googled it and it says 220 watts

You need at least a 500w PSU, especially if you plan on upgrading to a current gen GPU.. Most people aim for 600-750w PSU.

Have you built a computer before? :D

A GPU upgrade is simple, so long as your motherboard supports the upgrade (most cards use PCI Express slots), which it looks like your mobo does.

It's the PSU plugging that can turn into a mess. If your PSU is non-modular PSU (all the plugs are part of the PSU and you can't remove them), then you'll have to take the whole thing out and unplug all the cords from every single component in your system. If you have a modular system and can unplug the cords from the PSU, it will be a lot easier as long as you get another modular PSU.

Good luck!

Edited by Ahiko, 17 August 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#9 firywolf

firywolf

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:47 AM

You also need to check to see how big of a card could fit in that case. Being a slimline, space could be very limited for newer cards and heat may be factor.

#10 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostAhiko, on 17 August 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

It's the PSU plugging that can turn into a mess. If your PSU is a modular PSU (all the plugs are part of the PSU and you can't remove them), then you'll have to take the whole thing out and unplug all the cords from every single component in your system. If you have a non-modular system and can unplug the PSU, it will be a lot easier as long as you get aanother non-modular PSU.

It's the other way around actually, modular means that the cables can be detached from the PSU, non-modular means they can't. @OP What you want is a modular PSU actually.

#11 Ahiko

Ahiko

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Posttijo, on 17 August 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

It's the other way around actually, modular means that the cables can be detached from the PSU, non-modular means they can't. @OP What you want is a modular PSU actually.
Lol gg. You're right! I edited it in my original post. Thanks!

#12 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

The Slimline series all use non-standard ATX format cases - you won't fit a standard PSU in there or any non low profile video card.  I hate to say it, but you shot yourself in the foot when you bought it. :/

What you can do is find a flex format PSU - 300-350 watts and then get a Low Profile HD 7750 - that would allow you to play on ~Medium @ 1080p and is literally the best you can do without getting a new system - or buying a new case and installing all the parts in it.

#13 culblock15

culblock15

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

View PostElder III, on 17 August 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

The Slimline series all use non-standard ATX format cases - you won't fit a standard PSU in there or any non low profile video card.  I hate to say it, but you shot yourself in the foot when you bought it. :/

What you can do is find a flex format PSU - 300-350 watts and then get a Low Profile HD 7750 - that would allow you to play on ~Medium @ 1080p and is literally the best you can do without getting a new system - or buying a new case and installing all the parts in it.

View PostAhiko, on 17 August 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

You need at least a 500w PSU, especially if you plan on upgrading to a current gen GPU.. Most people aim for 600-750w PSU.

Have you built a computer before? :D

A GPU upgrade is simple, so long as your motherboard supports the upgrade (most cards use PCI Express slots), which it looks like your mobo does.

Also may i please get a link to the Low Profile HD 7750.

It's the PSU plugging that can turn into a mess. If your PSU is non-modular PSU (all the plugs are part of the PSU and you can't remove them), then you'll have to take the whole thing out and unplug all the cords from every single component in your system. If you have a modular system and can unplug the cords from the PSU, it will be a lot easier as long as you get another modular PSU.

Good luck!

Ok thanks guys. Last question, which flex format Psu/ power supply do you suggest?

Also could anyone link me to a good Low Profile HD 7750,if thats not a brand XD.

Edited by culblock15, 18 August 2012 - 02:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: computer, gaming, guild, wars, dragging, down, technical, support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users