• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

I believe that it was on the wiki where I read that professions cannot be changed after character creation.  Please someone tell me that this is not the case, that at some point in the game, a Human Warrior can become a Human Engineer, etc.

When I first heard about Races and how they were going to set it up with professions, I was hoping that Races would be like primary professions in GW1, the race could not be changed, but Professions would be like secondary professions in GW1, where the profession can be changed at will.

I also read that changing traits will require payment.  They already tried that boneheaded move when GW1 first came out, and they scrapped it because it was moronic.  Do you remember having to spend skill points in order to change your attributes?  It was a horrible idea that would have seriously gimped GW1 if they had left it the way it was.  It limits experimentation, and punishes those who jump into the game and play without having planned out every single step.

Also, paying to change your traits only applies to PvE and not to PvP as I understand.  Again, why would you make experimentation and adaptability more difficult for one segment of your players and not for the other?  Why do it in the first place?

If anyone can clarify these two points, I would appreciate it.

#2 Alaroxr

Alaroxr

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3025 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

1.) Once you choose a race and profession for a character, that is permanent.

2.) It's not that bad. Its a very small fee for resetting traits and a moderate sum to unlock the next tier of traits (so 3 times between levels 1-80). This acts as a gold sink.

For PvP it is free, just as everything else in PvP is free. You don't earn gold in PvP, there is no need for a gold sink.

Edited by Alaroxr, 19 August 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#3 Maal

Maal

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Can't change warrior > engi post creation.
Races offer 5~6 weaker but race flavored skill.
You have to pay a minimal fee to reset your traits, but can swap majors for free.
Pvp is not meant to have progression, repair, crafting... it's a separate "game".

The only common points between Guild wars 1 and 2 is the lore. Everything else is differents. It's GW2, not GW1.2

#4 Knight248

Knight248

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostBloodreaver, on 19 August 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

I believe that it was on the wiki where I read that professions cannot be changed after character creation.  Please someone tell me that this is not the case, that at some point in the game, a Human Warrior can become a Human Engineer, etc.

When I first heard about Races and how they were going to set it up with professions, I was hoping that Races would be like primary professions in GW1, the race could not be changed, but Professions would be like secondary professions in GW1, where the profession can be changed at will.

There really shouldn't be an issue with not being able to change your character between proffessions. The proffession is the main gameplay modifier in character creation. Where Race is the story modifier, along with other choices you make during character creation and throughout the game (ex: saving the hospital or the orphanage as they mentioned). If you are playing through the game and you realize that you don't like the warrior, and want to try out the engineer, simply make an engineer. The ability to switch character proffessions and retain skillpoints or be reimburced for the skillpoints would give players a motivation to NOT create new characters and experience all that GW2 has to offer. That seems very counterproductive to the goals that Anet has. Race choice it's self can't really act as a second proffession either, since the races only have a few skills each, and a Charr Warrior shouldn't have any advantage over a Human Warrior.

Not to mention that it would make the RPers go mad.

#5 Disruptive

Disruptive

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

I think perhaps the OP was referring to crafting as it's a common mistake after playing WoW.

Edit: Ok nevermind i see now he was serious. :o

Edited by Disruptive, 19 August 2012 - 04:09 AM.

#6 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostBloodreaver, on 19 August 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

I do not have time to make 8 human characters for each profession, 8 char, etc (40 total).  And I hate deleting characters that I have invested hours into.

Why would you ever make 8 characters of the same race ?
Your profession doesn't affect your storyline. Only your race and questions you answer during creation. So I can see 3 characters per race, because the story questions each have three answers, but that's it. Most of those probably won't be played much beyond when all the individual storylines for a race join into a single racial storyline.

#7 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

You would make other characters in order to play the game from the perspective of a different race.  I am not asking that a human character be able to turn into a charr character, just that their professions be changeable.  As I understand it, each race starts in a different area and will experience the plot differently, so I would probably make 5 different characters to experience each race's story.  But I do not want to have to make 40 characters in order to be able to experience all of the possible race/profession combinations.

If you made just one of each race each with a different profession, that would be only 5 professions.

The reality is, they are probably doing this because they hope to sell additional character slots.

Edited by Drogon, 19 August 2012 - 09:26 AM.
Removed reply to deleted content.

#8 Drogon

Drogon

Fire & Blood

• Site Contributors
  • 2711 posts
  • Guild Tag:[edge]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Your questions have been answered. If you want to have a discussion about this topic, you should make a thread in Tyrian Assembly or you could post it as a suggestions in Primordus Visions.

Edited by Drogon, 19 August 2012 - 09:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: professions, change, changing, profession

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users