#1 JoeVertigo

JoeVertigo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Surmia, founded during the Season of the Phoenix of 1020 AE, was once one of the most prosperous cities in the Kingdom of Ascalon, along with Ascalon City, Nolani Academy, Drascir, and Rin. The city of Surmia was established as a monument honoring those who died during the second Guild War. It was built outside the Great Northern Wall as part of honoring the fallen, recognizing their brave deeds and performing a brave deed of their own, and was one of the first cities to fall to the Charr invasion and the Searing.

Greetings everyone. In the light of some of the recent pre-launch server choice notions and related with it issues among the community I think it's a good idea to start building upon Ruins of Surmia. We have an opportunity to start a wonderful community here and it's only up to you if you'd like to join us and become a part of what could end up being a great neighborhood.

Why Ruins of Surmia? Well, here's why:

1. What we'd like to do is populate a server that might otherwise end up being a ghost town. There are some servers that seem to have a big chance of becomng very populated (if not over-populated) in a short time after headstart and it'd be great of we could balance that out. Jumping on the bandwagon to join the most popular servers might be a really bad idea at the end of the day. PvE areas may become overcrowded to the point where some of the people will have problems with server lag and client-side performance issues. WvWvW queues will probably become unbearable. In the meantime servers like Ruins of Surmia might be empty-ish, making the players run away from them, which will only further develop the imbalance. We'd like to avoid that.

2. Some of the servers are being claimed as unofficial "insert non-English language here" servers. There's a huge portion of the community that wishes to find a place to stay where English is the predominant language, even if it's not their mother-tongue. Right now the official unofficial "UK servers" are the ones that we feel will become overcrowded, hence we chose Ruins of Surmia as an "international English" server. We'd like the majority of the community there to be able to communicate with ease so we agreed on English as the main language.

Now, if you want to play with an English-speaking community on a "growing" and not "overcrowded" server come join us in Ruins of Surmia. If your guild or alliance has still not decided on your server of choice or perhaps you'd like to move away from the crowds, we'll welcome you in Ruins of Surmia.

To help highlight Ruins of Surmia as an English-speaking server with actual people on it head over to http://www.asuralabs.../serverPoll.php and declare your presence there and / or http://www.gw2guilds...ruins-of-surmia to register your guild or alliance there. Remember - we'd like to stick with English as the predominant language here.

Let's start building upon Ruins of Surmia.

Update: For those still seeing Ruins of Surmia as Spanish server be assured that Spanish communities are now more than happy to roll on the official Spanish server, which is Baruch Bay.

Edited by JoeVertigo, 19 August 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#2 Hibiki

Hibiki

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Server:Ruins of Surmia

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

I propose a guild for all the people of Surmia, known as "The People of Surmia" or "The Republic of Surmia", "The Free People of Surmia".

Something along those lines.

Its purpose, to unite the community under a unified banner that respects equality and fair treatment. It will hold no requirements on its members, and will promote friendship, fairplay, and respect for all the community.

Edited by Hibiki, 19 August 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#3 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DEX]

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Lol that would rather be an Alliance, it would be different if you were to make a guild with people coming over from Lakeside county for example.

#4 Hibiki

Hibiki

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostIlesyt, on 19 August 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Lol that would rather be an Alliance, it would be different if you were to make a guild with people coming over from Lakeside county for example.

The existing alliances, as we know them, exist to co-ordinate competitive WvW play and collusion.

As a note, this thread will likely be moved to off-topic.

Edited by Hibiki, 19 August 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#5 Gabudan

Gabudan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for posting this.

And I guess that's my server decided.

#6 Faowri

Faowri

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1154 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Ruins of Surmia is also flagged as the unofficial EU English RP overflow server (if people can't get onto Piken Square), just as an FYI. Though I doubt a few RPers are going to disrupt your plans :)

#7 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Well most RP'rs will go to Piken Square and I'm pretty sure they won't get full. The US version seems to have much more popularity.
Besides RP'rs won't really hurt us.

#8 Faowri

Faowri

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1154 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, we're a friendly bunch! Even if a few of us wind up on RoS, I doubt there'll be a problem.

#9 Felonius

Felonius

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostFaowri, on 19 August 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Ruins of Surmia is also flagged as the unofficial EU English RP overflow server (if people can't get onto Piken Square), just as an FYI. Though I doubt a few RPers are going to disrupt your plans :)

Suits me fine. I have no problem with RPers, indeed I find them a generally agreeable crowd. I was originally going to go to Piken Square, but it is probably a bit unfair taking spots that should go to people who actually intend to RP, so I will give RoS a spin. I have no inclination towards leading/organising a guild so I will leave it to others who have more interest in such things, but I don't mind assisting with anything if required.

Edited by Felonius, 19 August 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#10 ducckz

ducckz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

it was my first server choice and it was full of spanish people spamming the world chat.. is it still like that? else i might come back to it

#11 Felonius

Felonius

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postducckz, on 19 August 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

it was my first server choice and it was full of spanish people spamming the world chat.. is it still like that? else i might come back to it

Apparently the Spanish have left since being given their own official server. It is now largely deserted (allegedly).

Edited by Felonius, 19 August 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#12 Gabudan

Gabudan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postducckz, on 19 August 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

Surmia had been chosen by the Spanish community as their server of choice. Then an official Spanish server was created, and the majority of the guilds based in Ruins of Surmia moved to Baruch Bay instead. Now, unless people move to Surmia (which is the goal of this discussion), it's essentially completely deserted.

#13 Darkademic

Darkademic

Vanguard Scout

• Community Contributors
  • 176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DkR]

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I suggest posting this on Reddit as well. Reddit and Guru have been the two main sources of traffic for GW2Guilds.org.

I hope it's a success - a more evenly distributed population can only be a good thing.

#14 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I don't think I know anyone that wouldn't hate this mission with fiery passion. Which is sad, because it's actually a pretty sweet name.

#15 Hibiki

Hibiki

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostFelonius, on 19 August 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Suits me fine. I have no problem with RPers, indeed I find them a generally agreeable crowd. I was originally going to go to Piken Square, but it is probably a bit unfair taking spots that should go to people who actually intend to RP, so I will give RoS a spin. I have no inclination towards leading/organising a guild so I will leave it to others who have more interest in such things, but I don't mind assisting with anything if required.

If we are to set up a guild, I think it must be organised by several people. For one person to do it alone could be seen as dictatorship.

If we are to have a common guild, it should be governed by an electorate. All members should have equal rights, the purpose of the guild to act as a meeting-block for people to make new contacts, and to promote a feeling of server community. Everyone should have the freedom of representing the guild alone or together by bearing its emblem, a symbol of server pride!

As for the choices in what upgrades and whatnot to research, it should be put to a vote to the people.

Edited by Hibiki, 19 August 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#16 Gabudan

Gabudan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

In my (limited) experience, larger MMO groups actually tend to work out best when the leadership is a benign despotism, with a few immediate underling officers to handle recruitment. With smaller guilds, it doesn't matter so much either way how it's set up.

Anyway, would be cool if some existing guilds could move to Surmia, too, so it actually merits the label it has just now on GW2Guilds.

#17 Hibiki

Hibiki

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostGabudan, on 19 August 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

In my (limited) experience, larger MMO groups actually tend to work out best when the leadership is a benign despotism, with a few immediate underling officers to handle recruitment. With smaller guilds, it doesn't matter so much either way how it's set up.

Anyway, would be cool if some existing guilds could move to Surmia, too, so it actually merits the label it has just now on GW2Guilds.

Yeah. The word needs to spread around. I know a lot of friendly guilds that would willingly move to Surmia if they knew it would no longer be dominated by Spaniards.

#18 ArekkusuIII

ArekkusuIII

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'll roll there first, maybe drag a few people with me and see how it goes. I was planning to make a guild for my friends and people who want to be a little social.

#19 Generic Fantasy Name

Generic Fantasy Name

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Guild Tag:[REVE]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Your revolted colonies support this move. Good luck, Brits and the Euro English-preferred crowd.

#20 CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

NO DON't GET REDDIT HERE, reddit just ruins games and server, horrible people, they are wannabe 4chan, they and 9gag is cancer.. so please.. get reddit the ng.. away from there.

and btw.. i have a guild named Whispers of AScalon going to be in ruins of surmia, check out the topic on guild recruitment.

btw.. lets claim it as english, i coulda moved to norwegian/danish/swedish server.. but mehh.. wont bother. (btw im from norway)

#21 Gabudan

Gabudan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostCaptainAwesome, on 19 August 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

NO DON't GET REDDIT HERE, reddit just ruins games and server, horrible people, they are wannabe 4chan, they and 9gag is cancer.. so please.. get reddit the ng.. away from there.

and btw.. i have a guild named Whispers of AScalon going to be in ruins of surmia, check out the topic on guild recruitment.

btw.. lets claim it as english, i coulda moved to norwegian/danish/swedish server.. but mehh.. wont bother. (btw im from norway)
Following discussion on the thread just a little bit further down on this forum regarding unofficial language servers, it's actually already been marked on GW2Guilds as the 'unofficial International English Server', which is nice.

#22 Defora

Defora

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DYE]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

I think I will now join to you at release and see how this goes (since there is the possibility to swap within first weeks). I have been on Desolation and I was already thinking about going to less popular server. I was considering Far Shiverpeaks as option for desolation since it is Scandinavian (I'm Finnish), but I will rather be on international server. I'm old GW1 player but I lost connection to my GW guild due wow "career", so I will come alone and start whole new life.

Lets build good community on this server. ^_^

Here is Ruins of Surmia as seen on GW1 mission storybook.
Posted Image

#23 Zepp

Zepp

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostHibiki, on 19 August 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

I propose a guild for all the people of Surmia, known as "The People of Surmia" or "The Republic of Surmia", "The Free People of Surmia".

Something along those lines.

Oh, PLEASE!!! I'm up for something like The Surmian Berserkers or Barbarians of Mighty Surmia not whimsy The People of Surmia...

Other WvW servers shall tremble in fear and hide their women while we charge.

Edited by Zepp, 19 August 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#24 JoeVertigo

JoeVertigo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

If this gets moved to off-topic then alright, but I think this is more on-topic then pictures of lolcats and whatnot. ;)

#25 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostJoeVertigo, on 19 August 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

If this gets moved to off-topic then alright, but I think this is more on-topic then pictures of lolcats and whatnot. ;)

Lol the Lakeside county migration thread got deleted and had to be recreated in off-topic >_>

Anyway, we're sitll trying to convince our alliance members to move to the Ruins of Surmia.

#26 JoeVertigo

JoeVertigo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Also, some kind of guild or alliance "leading" this concept would be absolutely great, I'm totally on board with that.

#27 Ilesyt

Ilesyt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostJoeVertigo, on 19 August 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Also, some kind of guild or alliance "leading" this concept would be absolutely great, I'm totally on board with that.

I will let you know when our alliance decides to go Ruins of Surmia.

#28 Lazarast

Lazarast

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Server:Baruch Bay

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Spanish here. Most of us will go to the spanish servers, but we'll still remember ruins of surmia :)

Cheers.

#29 KrisHQ

KrisHQ

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Great initiative Joe!
My guild will be joining Ruins of Surmia as well (Quality over Quantity), and i really hope we can establish a nice community there.
Remember that the first million is always the hardest to get, and therefore it just takes a few guilds to settle there and eventually the snowball will be rolling.
I'm really excited about this initiative, and i really hope that like-minded guilds will consider Ruins Of Surmia!

#30 Crosier

Crosier

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Tossed this thread into the Skype convo of my little clan of friends and misfits. I'll let you know what & how & who comes out of that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: community, eu, server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users