• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Isms

Isms

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

I don't plan to craft at all in this game; however, I would like to contribute to my guild regardless. I'd like to collect all the materials possible while leveling in order to store it for my guild. Other than the obvious nodes that will spawn throughout Tyria, what else should one be on the lookout for while leveling to 80? I'm sure we'd all love to see a well-defined list of crafting materials and how to obtain them.

Edited by Isms, 20 August 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#2 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

You're going to end up crafting a ton of stuff that is too low of a level for you to use if you start crafting at level 80.  By comparison, if you salvage items and gather from nodes as you level up, and then craft items for your level, you will:
- Get to level 80 faster (crafting gives real exp)
- Level up your crafting profession without it seeming like an all-at-once grind
- Be well-equipped for your level

I don't see any good reason to wait until level 80 to craft.

#3 Isms

Isms

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostBeta Sprite, on 20 August 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

You're going to end up crafting a ton of stuff that is too low of a level for you to use if you start crafting at level 80.  By comparison, if you salvage items and gather from nodes as you level up, and then craft items for your level, you will:
- Get to level 80 faster (crafting gives real exp)
- Level up your crafting profession without it seeming like an all-at-once grind
- Be well-equipped for your level

I don't see any good reason to wait until level 80 to craft.

Hmm... I'll take that into consideration. I'll reword the question then for the sake of the unofficial "collector" profession, who just collects items and supplies them to others.

#4 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Ah, I gotcha.  I misunderstood.  From my experience, the loot that you get in an area will salvage into the same materials for the zone that you got them from.  In BWE3, I filled up a stack of copper ingots and then some by salvaging everything and mining all nodes that I saw.

I didn't really spend too much time in the next zone, but I believe I was getting the next set of materials from the items there.

#5 Yui San

Yui San

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostIsms, on 20 August 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I don't plan to craft at all in this game; however, I would like to contribute to my guild regardless. I'd like to collect all the materials possible while leveling in order to store it for my guild. Other than the obvious nodes that will spawn throughout Tyria, what else should one be on the lookout for while leveling to 80? I'm sure we'd all love to see a well-defined list of crafting materials and how to obtain them.

I plan on carrying tools around like pickaxe, hatchet and whatever there is. This could help to get wood, ore and other materials. Also carry a salvage kit with you and maybe double check on all items what they are worth and what you can salvage. It takes some time to organize but in the end it will pay off.

#6 Izardoz

Izardoz

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1102 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BCT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

there is one farm per zone to be on the lookout for, so there's that...also, to be cognizant of having the level-appropriate tool for collecting

personally, I would prefer not to see a list of areas where nodes, etc. are collected from...I like the sense of discovery, but that's just me :)

#7 Organic

Organic

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Merc]

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

As was mentioned, outside of the regular nodes that show up on your minimap, you can salvage items that provide mats for specific guildy needs.

As for resource guides, those are available.

Gathering Mats Interactive Map, including harvestables and mob part drops: http://gw2craftmap.bteamgaming.com/

GW2 Offical Wiki - Materials, includes how to acquire different catergories of materials: http://wiki.guildwar...afting_material

Hope that helps.

#8 sty0pa

sty0pa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

As a reminder, make sure you're using a level appropriate tool, or you won't get the best possible raw materials from any node:

Copper - lvl 0-9
Iron 10-24
Steel 25-39
Darksteel 40-54
Mithril 55-69
Orichalcum 70+
Black Lion (any)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crafting, harvesting, nodes, collecting, leveling, craft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users