5 replies to this topic

#1 SonofInnocence8309

SonofInnocence8309

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hey everyone. Just want to throw out how thankful I am for such a friendly and helpful community. I haven't been on Guru long, and it's been a phenomenal experience.

So profession-wise I'm deciding between Ranger and Thief. The final decision will be made on Saturday, of course. But I have a dilemma (other than being so dramatic ;) ).

I'm looking at Charr or Norn (or perhaps Sylvari, but I need to see their Character Creation) and I'm wondering for Ranger or Thief if either of will be easy to connect with in terms of RP. I'm honestly wondering if I can even connect with Norn on an RP level, and although Charr are insanely warmongering I find something about them appealing. Of course, is there more to Norn than simply "Me viking, me drunk, me smash"? Because that's honesetly what I take out of the wiki and forums.

I'm basically asking if people can give me their thoughts on roleplay with a Charr or Norn in being a Ranger or Thief. Thanks!

#2 Myschi

Myschi

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

I could see either class being a scout, spy, infiltrator, whatever for the Ash Legion (or any Legion, really), as far as the charr go.

Norn are all about personal glory and living big. Sure, they like to get drunk and smash crap, but they're definitely out to make a name for themselves. Anything goes when you're a norn, as long as you become known.

#3 Krathos

Krathos

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostMyschi, on 21 August 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I could see either class being a scout, spy, infiltrator, whatever for the Ash Legion (or any Legion, really), as far as the charr go.

Norn are all about personal glory and living big. Sure, they like to get drunk and smash crap, but they're definitely out to make a name for themselves. Anything goes when you're a norn, as long as you become known.

Indeed, Norn are focused on becoming 'known', that is the ultimate goal for, most norn. How they go about that, is completely up to them. There are a few limits, but generally the Norn are very forgiving as long as the deads one does, gets them remembered in the tales of the Skaalds.

I'll leave charr for the experts, I just haven't enough lore knowledge on them.

Edit: Side note, not that there is anything wrong with asking questions here, it's what it's for. If you have yet to spot the Gw2rp site it is here: http://www.guildwars...layers.com/home
If you have, then, yeah. :3

Edited by Krathos, 21 August 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#4 SonofInnocence8309

SonofInnocence8309

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostKrathos, on 21 August 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Edit: Side note, not that there is anything wrong with asking questions here, it's what it's for. If you have yet to spot the Gw2rp site it is here: http://www.guildwars...layers.com/home
If you have, then, yeah. :3

Le gasp! I didn't even know it existed. Thank you!!

View PostMyschi, on 21 August 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

Mmm. That sheds a bit of light. I've played the Charr to Lv. 11, and tried starting a Norn today during the Stress Test. Aesthetically, they seem to run very strange but I didn't hate them. It may not be what I'm aiming for Roleplay-wise in terms of the wanting to make a name for themselves. I see my character as not being too thrilled with being "popular" or being a "legend" as such. At least, not intentionally.

Thanks for the help!

#5 Brynjar

Brynjar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostSonofInnocence8309, on 22 August 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

Mmm. That sheds a bit of light. I've played the Charr to Lv. 11, and tried starting a Norn today during the Stress Test. Aesthetically, they seem to run very strange but I didn't hate them. It may not be what I'm aiming for Roleplay-wise in terms of the wanting to make a name for themselves. I see my character as not being too thrilled with being "popular" or being a "legend" as such. At least, not intentionally.

Thanks for the help!

Keep in mind that the traditional and stereotypical Norn, who fights alone and ignores strategy, would probably be a Bear-following warrior. But there are three other Spirits of the Wild - you have Raven, who admires cleverness and intelligence; Snow Leopard, who favors deception, stealth, and 'underhanded' means; and Wolf, who supports those who fight together and help one another to succeed.

A Thief Norn who follows Snow Leopard, for example, would be perfectly as ease in working in the shadows, staying sober and spiking someone's drink to keep them off balance, murdering someone in their sleep, and various things. While a follower of Raven would use their head and think their way out of a problem instead of just swinging a sword at it like a Bear-following warrior might do.

Now, the vast majority of Norn would still want to "make a name" for themselves - their culture is one that says whoever isn't talked about or known by others really doesn't live on or survive. Immortality through their legend, so to speak - if no one knows who you are, you might as well not exist. Naturally, there would be Norn who either don't care about their legend, or don't wish to live on in legend, or don't want to be known about for some other reason.

Keep in mind, though, that Norn don't equate being a 'legend' to being 'popular'. A mass murderer who is infamous would be just as highly regarded by the Norn as the mighty hunter or the renowned swordsmith. The reason behind your legend isn't as important as the legend itself.

Nor is it strictly necessary that your name is involved. An assassin known only as 'The Black Shadow', but is whispered about in every tavern, would be a worthy goal of a Thief Norn. Their name might not be known, but their legend still lives on.

#6 KryTiKaL

KryTiKaL

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Charr all the way.

Charr.

All.

The.

Way.