• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Do guilds transfer servers if their leaders transfer?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Legend

Steel Legend

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

(Just a disclaimer, I did search for answers to this question on these boards, but wasn't able to find any threads that I felt gave a real definitive answer.)

Alright, so... as a guild leader, out of all my concerns for my members at launch, (i.e. members not being able to create characters if our server is "Full", guild fragmentation across servers as a result, etc.), the biggest question that I have is how do guilds work in terms of server transfers. I understand that members can belong to multiple guilds across different servers, and that players can "guest" in order to play PvE and PvP (but not WvW, which is important because my guild plans to play a lot of that). But what I really want to know is:

If you're the leader of a guild, and you transfer servers, what happens to the guild?
  • Does the guild completely disappear if the leader transfers?
  • Does the leadership simply pass to the next highest officer on that server if the leader does transfer?
  • Or are guilds more global in GW2, and everything about it transfers wherever the leader goes?
  • If so, does all of the guild's progress (upgrades, emblem, roster) remain in tact upon transferring?
These are the types of questions that I'd like to know the answers to. If making sure that all of my guild members can get on the same server and play together at launch (for WvW purposes) means picking a lower population server to start (even if it means one that's less competitive), then I'll gladly do that on Day 1.  But only if I know that I can transfer myself (and by extension the entire guild) over to a server that better suits our needs without losing any guild progress, once the populations really start to settle in (since server transfers are going to be free at launch).

I'm basically just looking to know whether:

- I need to choose a permanent server for my guild, one that we want to be on for WvW purposes, since transferring the guild (through me) would erase any guild progress/upgrades, OR

- I can choose a lower population server for my guild to join at launch so that everyone can get on and play WvW together and then transfer the guild to our chosen server once populations settle down.

Can anyone help put my fears to rest by answering any of these questions?  I appreciate any information I can get.  Thanks.

Edited by Steel Legend, 22 August 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Catraine

Catraine

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TOSH]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

The only part I can answer- you will lose guild progress if you transfer.

#3 Crystal Rose

Crystal Rose

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 62 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostCatraine, on 22 August 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

The only part I can answer- you will lose guild progress if you transfer.

Are you certain of that?  Where does it say that?  I asked the same question yesterday but didn't get a clear answer.
http://www.guildwars...-other-servers/

It would be awful to make progress in your guild only to find out many members can't get in and you need to move.   Thereby you lose all your progress.

#4 Catraine

Catraine

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TOSH]

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

No, I don't know what it will look like at release, but we moved servers during BWE 1 or 2, and lost all our progress.

Edited by Catraine, 22 August 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#5 SKYeXile

SKYeXile

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRF]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

Yea I'm not sure about progress i cant remember specifics on that. but since guilds can have members cross server and in multiple guilds they just transfer over, i transferred my guild to another server in one of the earlier betas and the roster stayed intact.

#6 PoisonedTea

PoisonedTea

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

No
I can give you one reason why

Your guild is not limited to one server

Your guild can be in as many servers as members you have or as servers Anet gives use.(lol A big enough guild could take all of WvW over different servers)

So no I don't see any reason why you lose anything

The guild bank be cross server too that is cool.

View PostCatraine, on 22 August 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

No, I don't know what it will look like at release, but we moved servers during BWE 1 or 2, and lost all our progress.
Did you report it as a bug I hope so.

Edited by PoisonedTea, 22 August 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#7 TKing42

TKing42

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SD]

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

Guilds are cross-server, but the influence they've earned and the guild upgrades they've purchased are separate for each server.

#8 Crystal Rose

Crystal Rose

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 62 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

View PostTKing42, on 22 August 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Guilds are cross-server, but the influence they've earned and the guild upgrades they've purchased are separate for each server.

So you lose influence if you transfer to anther server?  Even if you're a guild leader?  That could be a problem.

#9 TKing42

TKing42

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SD]

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostCrystal Rose, on 23 August 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

So you lose influence if you transfer to anther server?  Even if you're a guild leader?  That could be a problem.
It's not really "lost" it's just left on the old server. If you transfer to another server you'd have to start over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users