Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

GW1 fans are not the only one's excited about GW2


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 Ramun Flame

Ramun Flame

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1047 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Wait a second, didn't you make a thread like this already?

Yes, I made a thread that polled members of this forum on whether they played/liked GW1. It got a good amount of attention, then died after a bit. I promised a follow-up that some forum members seemed to be looking forward to. I made the follow up on the same thread, but it seems that people didn't notice and seemed to shrug it off. Therefore, I saw the follow up deserving of it's own thread. The old thread was for voting/prediction and opinions. Now that we have some solid facts, this thread can be for discussing the results, and what they mean. I hope my decision won't be a big problem for anyone.

Original Thread
http://www.guildwars...fans-t5755.html
You may still vote in that thread, of course, but if you would like to discuss results, please post here.

Introduction(for those who missed the original thread)
I was wondering if only GW1 fans were excited about GW2 and after realizing our forums were biased, I posted on other forums and here are the results.

Table
Posted Image

Explanation
I only included the results from MMORPG.com, and ONRPG.com. The MMOSITE.com poll was a failure on all levels. Only 9 people voted, and there were actually more people posting in the thread than voting. The only real numbers that matter are the percentages on the far right. Both sites show similar results, which causes them to validate each other, and the average percentages are on the far right.

Summary, for those who don't like tables

17.27% of people polled are not excited about GW2
14.96% of people polled are not excited about GW2 and played GW1
6.25% of people polled are not exited about GW2 and liked GW1

82.73% of people polled are excited about GW2
72.96% of people polled are excited about GW2 and played GW1
58.56% of people polled are excited about GW2 and liked GW1

87.92% of people polled played GW1

Now for the real results...

GW1 Fans - 69.44% of people polled who were excited about GW2 liked GW1
Not GW1 Fans - 30.56% of people polled who were excited about GW2 disliked/didn't play GW1



Conclusion

Although us GW1 fans make up the majority, there is a good amount of people excited about GW2 who were not GW1 Fans.


Links to the polls
http://www.mmorpg.co.../285535#3679119
http://www.onrpg.com...rds/163248.html
http://forum.mmosite...time=1280024910

Edit: Wow, grammar...

Edited by Ramun Flame, 30 July 2010 - 11:52 AM.


#2 Jexx

Jexx

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2751 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Wow, looking over those topics...

I'm amazed at how many people judge a game when it seems like they know very little about the game. Some guy on OnRPG said that it looks like the same game as GW1. I think he just thinks that because it's a sequel.

#3 Infamous

Infamous

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

I am not a Guild Wars 1 fan, I just didn't like it.  Guild Wars 2 looks great though.

#4 Papish

Papish

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

It's nice to see that a good amount of people that played the first GW and did not like it are excited about GW2 and not automatically shooting it down.

#5 Own Age Myname

Own Age Myname

    Vigil Crusader

  • Community Contributors
  • 4615 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

AsuranSylvari21 said:

Wow, looking over those topics...

I'm amazed at how many people judge a game when it seems like they know very little about the game. Some guy on OnRPG said that it looks like the same game as GW1. I think he just thinks that because it's a sequel.

I know. I'm starting to see more and more people judging it as a WoWclone (well in my alliance). I don't get it.

#6 Eragon Zarroc

Eragon Zarroc

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 4198 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

interesting results ;)

#7 Effigy

Effigy

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

Own Age Myname said:

I know. I'm starting to see more and more people judging it as a WoWclone (well in my alliance). I don't get it.

To some people, every MMO besides WoW is a WoW-clone, because WoW was the first and best MMO ever created or conceived, ever.

#8 bookworm438

bookworm438

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

LOL I was looking at the OnRPG thread too. People really need to do their research. The OnRPG was giving me a good laugh though.

#9 Wyld Emissary

Wyld Emissary

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

of course most people polled are excited.  Most people who would see this at all are interested in GW in some way,but the only number that matters (to me) is the excited non GW1 fans (what this thread is about.)

good job, this is interesting.

#10 MightyGrape

MightyGrape

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

Ill play as long as i can kill whoever the **** I want. I want another c1-interlude L2 and I'm not playing another mmo till it happens.

No politics = boring game with no reason to play.

#11 Age

Age

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

Effigy said:

To some people, every MMO besides WoW is a WoW-clone, because WoW was the first and best MMO ever created or conceived, ever.

I wouldn't say that anymore as to the amount of other MMOs out there besides it is owned by Activison.I doubt GW2 will sell as well as GW did.I am not really big or excited about this game as it doesn't resemble the Original only the map does.

#12 MightyGrape

MightyGrape

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

Age said:

I wouldn't say that anymore as to the amount of other MMOs out there besides it is owned by Activison.I doubt GW2 will sell as well as GW did.I am not really big or excited about this game as it doesn't resemble the Original only the map does.

Doesn't matter if it resembles GW. Just means people that didn't like the first one will fill their place. Very few people play the original of a game when the second one is out and all the rest quit because of lack of population and where do they go------> why the sequel of course...

#13 Ramun Flame

Ramun Flame

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1047 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

MightyGrape said:

Doesn't matter if it resembles GW. Just means people that didn't like the first one will fill their place. Very few people play the original of a game when the second one is out and all the rest quit because of lack of population and where do they go------> why the sequel of course...

Depending on the benefits of the hall of monuments, people may come back to earn bonus's.

#14 Rolin

Rolin

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1467 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

wow! I never would have guessed that the majority of people excited about GW2 were players from GW1!
Posted Image

#15 Gigashadow

Gigashadow

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:09 AM

Ramun Flame said:

Depending on the benefits of the hall of monuments, people may come back to earn bonus's.

If you're talking about new players, I seriously doubt it.  If they weren't interested in GW1, they are not going to buy it and then invest a huge amount of time getting to the end for a few knicknacks, just because they are currently intrigued by GW2.  

Consider this; if Everquest 3 were coming out soon, and it looked interesting to you, and they told you you would get some minor rewards if you completed the main game in Everquest 2, would you really buy the game, roll up a character and invest all that time in a game you didn't even want to play before?  I doubt it.

#16 DusK

DusK

    Hardcore Adventure Box

  • Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

Ramun Flame said:

Depending on the benefits of the hall of monuments, people may come back to earn bonus's.

I seem to recall something about the devs doing something to prevent that in order to make the HoM stuff exclusive to current GW players. Like a limit on how long you have to link the accounts or something.

#17 Cramer

Cramer

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Well I wasn't a GW-fan at all (playing a few hours to ding 20 lvls as a human was a no go for me) but I sure do like GW2 :D I personally think GW2 will attract a much bigger MMO-public because the game just isn't as limited as the first one was. It takes some of the best aspects of other successful MMO's and introduces some really nice innovations. I mean...who wouldn't be enthusiastic:p?

#18 Darcy

Darcy

    Never Too Old

  • Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Nice work OP.  Glad to see that they are picking up new fans, which is the point of the marketing campaign.  And aren't the trolls just wonderful in those forums also.

#19 Chalky

Chalky

    chalktastic

  • Super Moderators
  • 4786 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

Very interesting, thanks for this Ramun.

FYI though, as you found out in your thread there, mmosite is a terrible site filled with sensationalist and poorly researched articles, and a useless community.  Ignore it!

#20 Gaiawolf

Gaiawolf

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

AsuranSylvari21 said:

Wow, looking over those topics...

I'm amazed at how many people judge a game when it seems like they know very little about the game. Some guy on OnRPG said that it looks like the same game as GW1. I think he just thinks that because it's a sequel.

To be fair to the poster, it does "look" like GW1. The art is very similar to the previuous games, so unless there is a major, unlikely, visual overhaul to the released art and media samples, GW2 will look rather similar to GW1. Graphic appeal is a major consideration for many gamers, so maybe he already knows he will not like it. I don't like WoW for similar reasons: too cartoony - that and I refuse to p-t-p.

#21 Ramun Flame

Ramun Flame

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1047 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

Gaiawolf said:

To be fair to the poster, it does "look" like GW1. The art is very similar to the previuous games, so unless there is a major, unlikely, visual overhaul to the released art and media samples, GW2 will look rather similar to GW1. Graphic appeal is a major consideration for many gamers, so maybe he already knows he will not like it. I don't like WoW for similar reasons: too cartoony - that and I refuse to p-t-p.

Yeah, but GW1 still looks great compared to even newer mmorpg's. So, I don't see how the graphics alone could turn anyone off. Their art style isn't "disproportional" or "cartoony". They are going for a realistic approach, which I don't think anyone has a problem with that, if it's done well.

Also, if you compare GW1 to GW2 side by side, GW2 is already looking much better graphics wise, and it's bound to improve more. Perhaps you meant that they see it looking similar, and they think it will be like GW1? I would think the title would be enough to give that away.

I think, though, it is not important who is excited about the game, or buys it on release day. People will eventually find out what a great game it is(amusing it's going to be good) then buy it. It's not a big decision to buy a B2P game. Someone just meeting the system requirements, and reading good review would probably get it if they need something to play.

#22 WAndy

WAndy

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

a couple of my friends who are mainly fps console gamers are really going out of their way to get this game

#23 Skyy High

Skyy High

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

It's positively amazing how many people on these major forums still don't know basic features...like that there will, in fact, be jumping and swimming, or that the game will not be instanced like GW1. I mean, really, if you don't know those, you haven't read anything about the game, so how do you make a decision about whether you'd like it or not?

#24 Arduin

Arduin

    Q&A King

  • Site Contributors
  • 4284 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Skyy High said:

It's positively amazing how many people on these major forums still don't know basic features...like that there will, in fact, be jumping and swimming, or that the game will not be instanced like GW1. I mean, really, if you don't know those, you haven't read anything about the game, so how do you make a decision about whether you'd like it or not?
Like how many people seems to be doing nowadays. A decision based on the graphics and how much the game is hyped.

#25 Cramer

Cramer

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Arduin said:

Like how many people seems to be doing nowadays. A decision based on the graphics and how much the game is hyped.
Based on graphics and hype, Aoc is the best choice imo:p

#26 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7986 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

I think some people will be put off by GW2 because you will have to think for yourself (or at least it looks that way now). Initially they'll like the "action" feel to it, but then they'll realize it's too much for them, all that active thinking an' such. That's one of the potential risks with breaking the mold, especially when there are millions of people that are so indoctrinated with the mold, some people will not be able to think differently at first, or maybe at all.

#27 Own Age Myname

Own Age Myname

    Vigil Crusader

  • Community Contributors
  • 4615 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Skyy High said:

It's positively amazing how many people on these major forums still don't know basic features...like that there will, in fact, be jumping and swimming, or that the game will not be instanced like GW1. I mean, really, if you don't know those, you haven't read anything about the game, so how do you make a decision about whether you'd like it or not?

I know. It annoys the sh*t out of me. For christ sakes, swimming and jumping were like the first things announced for GW2

#28 Skyy High

Skyy High

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

Krazzar said:

I think some people will be put off by GW2 because you will have to think for yourself (or at least it looks that way now). Initially they'll like the "action" feel to it, but then they'll realize it's too much for them, all that active thinking an' such. That's one of the potential risks with breaking the mold, especially when there are millions of people that are so indoctrinated with the mold, some people will not be able to think differently at first, or maybe at all.
I think that's a bunch of baloney. Gamers are perfectly capable of thinking, certainly in the vein of "how do I best kill this monster?" GW2 will not have the most action-oriented or complicated battle system ever seen in a game; basic lag dictates the minimum reaction time they could conceivably ask of the player, something single player games don't require. Further, I'd like to put forward the radical notion that traditional MMO players are not, in fact, morons. Just analyzing all of the input required to run a raid takes a lot of thought. The gameplay itself may not always be the most invigorating, certainly not when you're forced to do the same dungeon 50 times in a row, but it's not the c-space-win caper that most GW1 PvE has turned into either. In both cases, if you design your character(s) and build(s) correctly, most PvE gets very easy.

GW2's PvE will hopefully be a breath of fresh air in the MMO genre for a number of reasons, but before we get all superior here, let's not forget we've been playing a game that most hardcore fans consider insanely easy in all but the most elite areas.

#29 Corsair

Corsair

    Is trivia

  • Super Moderators
  • 5470 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

It is true, much of GW pve is incredibly easy, but I can attest to some harder areas, usually elite and all HM. Joko's Domain HM vanquish is one of the hardest things I've done in the game. The enemies have a hard res, outnumber you, have GREAT build cohesion, have healing, and are about 2x as strong as any human character. >.< Even with cons, it was hell. C-space wouldn't last a second in most of the areas in there.

As for that WoW interface, holy shit that is a ton of information to keep track of and look at. And then I saw a few other screenshots people posted with cleaner UIs. The developers made a TERRIBLE UI for their game. Same information, much more manageable and clean UI. I really find it unforgivable that they put the original one in like that. I've heard stories, but... http://www.tankspot....4/1_Raid_UI.jpg <---I could keep track of and use this one easy. The other one, not so much.

#30 Gaiawolf

Gaiawolf

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

Ramun Flame said:

Yeah, but GW1 still looks great compared to even newer mmorpg's. So, I don't see how the graphics alone could turn anyone off. Their art style isn't "disproportional" or "cartoony". They are going for a realistic approach, which I don't think anyone has a problem with that, if it's done well.

Also, if you compare GW1 to GW2 side by side, GW2 is already looking much better graphics wise, and it's bound to improve more. Perhaps you meant
that they see it looking similar, and they think it will be like GW1? I would think the title would be enough to give that away.


The most common complaint people seem to have is that most of the human characters look "plastic," alluding to the fact that the men are all impossibly handsome or buff and the women are gorgeous with barbie doll figures (some actually being "disproportionately" so). Granted most people see the gorgeous environment and, yes, characters, as a good thing, but I certainly wouldn't call it "realistic." And some people actually prefer more cartoony, gritty, or realistic character models to fantasy characters that seem to have their own personal plastic surgeons. Me, I like anything except cartoony.

Of course, the graphics will improve over GW1 (it's 5-6 years later afterall), but it looks they are keeping the same style, as expected.