Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Guardian Leveling


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Haptic

Haptic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Most of the discussion in this forum is about PvP builds. With launch in just three days now, I thought I would see what sorts of builds everyone is planning on using while leveling.

I'm currently trying to decide if spirit weapons are worth running.

#2 Alaroxr

Alaroxr

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3025 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

My PvE/WvW build is actually the same as my PvP build except for 1-2 utilities changing (depending on the situation) and a different Elite Skill (also depending on the situation).

Also, for dungeons or WvW I may change to a Scepter.

Edited by Alaroxr, 22 August 2012 - 06:52 AM.


#3 VonMerkatz

VonMerkatz

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

After healing nerf last ST. Do you guys go for Valor and Honor Traits 1st for PvE leveling?
Or do you find glass cannon (Zeal & Radiance) more efficient for leveling.

I am talking about say first 20 trait pts.

#4 Bobobejumbo

Bobobejumbo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostVonMerkatz, on 22 August 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

After healing nerf last ST. Do you guys go for Valor and Honor Traits 1st for PvE leveling?
Or do you find glass cannon (Zeal & Radiance) more efficient for leveling.

I am talking about say first 20 trait pts.

During the course of the Beta's I got to low 20's without ever using a Trait point. It was mainly due to me forgetting they even existed, but I actually never felt hindered up to that point by not having them. So I would think a Zeal and Radiance focus would work out just fine early on.

#5 Cebbar

Cebbar

    Available in Strawberry!

  • Site Contributors
  • 224 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Guild Tag:[TSCC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostVonMerkatz, on 22 August 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

After healing nerf last ST. Do you guys go for Valor and Honor Traits 1st for PvE leveling?
Or do you find glass cannon (Zeal & Radiance) more efficient for leveling.

I am talking about say first 20 trait pts.
I've found "glass cannon" to be fine for solo/group non-instanced based PvE levelling.  Honestly if you're fine at avoiding damage Toughness and Healing Power will be obsolete on the whole.  I think Valour/Honour builds come into their own in Group Instances with big-ass Champions who are throwing out a lot of problems.

Valour/Honour builds are going to, if nothing else, allow you to make mistakes and be able to remedy them much better.
Zeal/Radiance builds are going to allow you to mow through mobs quicker when you're out in the world.

As far as WvW goes, can't say I've had enough experience to know what's good there in terms of traits.  Not sure how well any sort of Hybrid is going to work.  As far as Weapons go I've been going Greatsword / Scepter + Focus in WvW just because I like a ranged option...honestly I prefer Sword over Scepter generally but I really find that the ranged option beats the extra teleport you get from the Sword.  Ahh, it's a bit above my head right now.

View PostBobobejumbo, on 22 August 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

During the course of the Beta's I got to low 20's without ever using a Trait point. It was mainly due to me forgetting they even existed, but I actually never felt hindered up to that point by not having them. So I would think a Zeal and Radiance focus would work out just fine early on.

When you have so few they're not going to make a big difference, but ArenaNet need to ease people into this complex system.

-------

I think Guardian will end up being one of those Professions you need to be dedicated to in order to become great at it.  You will need to switch traits often and perhaps unlike other Professions, not necessarily be able to get away with playing through everything with one set of traits.  Could become costly, but this is what I like about it I guess.

#6 Matsy

Matsy

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3105 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Guild Tag:[zzZ]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Sword/Focus, Scepter/Focus, damage/support hybrid.

Did just fine in PvE.
In WvW scepter is pretty useless though, only useful for taking down the guards and stuff solo.

#7 paradiselight

paradiselight

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 142 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

From BWE3 to the last stress test, I leveled my guardian to lvl 36 solely through PvE and I played around with the trait system quite a bit and my observation is that there are a few factors to consider when traiting. I didn't get around to doing Ascalon Catacombs so my comments below are strictly for PvE through non-instanced content.

1) Are you playing with friends?
If you're, then just spec more into radiance + zeal to kill the stuff faster. With friends around, you can take turns to kite, dodge, blind, immobilize, knock down, etc and survival shouldn't be a problem even on the harder contents with champion. The only exception is champions in a tight region where it's almost impossible to kite and/or dodge effectively (like the bandit in Queensdale), but well there are very few of them.

2) How much solo content do you expect your guardian to do?
If you want to be able to solo veterans, then you probably should spec some traits into honor or valor. It's not a must for you to be able to solo veterans but it's easier with the extra survivability. I had a far easier time fighting veterans + few other mobs with traits into honor/valor.

Do keep in mind that you'll run into veterans in a lot of the non-instanced dungeons/jumping puzzle.

If you plan to take on champions solo (yes some of them could be solo with enough trait points and the proper weapons), then full spec into honor + valor is definitely the way to go.

#8 Aizea

Aizea

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

How much do greatsword attacks heal you with the trait out of curiosity?

#9 Kyune

Kyune

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

Last I played with it in BWE2 or 3? VERY little.

#10 Haptic

Haptic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

What does everyone think of running a Spirit Weapon build for leveling? I already posted this build in another thread, but here it is again:

http://gw2skills.net...GbNuak1sKYUwGDA

Suggestions are welcome. I'm looking for the quickest build possible, as my guild is having a competition to see who can hit 80 first. I will have a Staff in my backpack at all times for the speed buff while traveling.

And if you don't think a Spirit Weapon build in general is the quickest way to level, feel free to say so.

#11 VonMerkatz

VonMerkatz

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostHaptic, on 23 August 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

What does everyone think of running a Spirit Weapon build for leveling? I already posted this build in another thread, but here it is again:

http://gw2skills.net...GbNuak1sKYUwGDA

Suggestions are welcome. I'm looking for the quickest build possible, as my guild is having a competition to see who can hit 80 first. I will have a Staff in my backpack at all times for the speed buff while traveling.

And if you don't think a Spirit Weapon build in general is the quickest way to level, feel free to say so.

I will level solo 99% of the time so I go mostly into Valor. Think most dmg from mobs will be direct dmg as opposed to condition dmg so Toughness is preferred to HP. Extra crit dmg from Valor is nice as well.

I go GS and Mace/Focus and swap Mace/F for Scepter/Torch when doing DE's to tag as many mobs as possible for fast xp (if other peeps are around).

For moving fast I pick "Retreat" as the first skill just to get that 33% speed boost. The GS Leap (4)  will also help moving faster.

RE SWs: Its viable, you kill faster but are more dependent of proper kiting/dodging. Also your advantage of doing faster kills will be offset by dying more often. Its a tradeoff IMO. Most leveling specs will work I guess. Just a matter of style. I prefer a "tanking" style with GS swapping to my Mace/Focus when stuff get nasty.

On a sidenote: I believe farming mobs with the 150% boost may be faster for leveling than some Hearts as those require you to wait, pick up stuff - wate a lot of time. Dmg the mob to 10% hp left, tag another mob and finish 1st one off later. That way you will keep your xp boost longer.

I'll go this route for Dungeons: http://en.gw2codex.c...uardian-dungeon

Edited by VonMerkatz, 23 August 2012 - 09:25 AM.


#12 Haptic

Haptic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

VonMerkatz, that build you posted really interested me, so I tried to create a similar build, but with increased damage potential. Here's what I came up with: http://www.gw2skills...GbNuak1sIYQwGDA.

With the Right-Handed Strength trait, you have 41% crit chance, and gain Vigor on crits thanks to Vigorous Precision. Virtue of Justice is constantly refreshing as you kill enemies, so you are constantly applying Burning to each foe you fight, and deal 10% more damage to these foes thanks to Radiant Power.

On the other hand, you also have great survivability thanks to the Mace + Shield OH, Valor trait line, and Shouts.

I chose Renewed Focus for the elite skill, as it can be unlocked earlier than Tome of Courage, but it can be replaced with the Tome as you level up and gain more skill points.

Thoughts? I'm thinking this might be better for leveling than my previous spirit weapon build.

Edit: Forgot to say, I believe this build could perform equally well in both open-world PvE and dungeons. Since open-world PvE largely revolves around dynamic events, you should still be gaining a significant amount of health through Altruistic Healing while maintaining high single-target DPS. I wish I could throw the Greatsword into this build for more AoE DPS capability, but I don't see it fitting in.

Edited by Haptic, 23 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.


#13 3xyzzy0

3xyzzy0

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Mace+focus / hammer or gsword. Defensive/self-heal, no spirit weps. Mainly valor and honor, maybe Right Handed Strength from Radiance or summint.

#14 Scilarion

Scilarion

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

GS / Hammer - I use Wall of Reflection in sPvP, but can see it only being situational when it comes to PvE - WvWvW, I'd switch out one of my meditations (probably Smite Condition, I think Judge's Intervention would be very handy for traversing areas/escaping zergs (as long as you don't accidentally teleport into them, haha)) for Wall of Reflection or Sanctuary. Perhaps both if I'm going Staff Support in WvWvW.

#15 VonMerkatz

VonMerkatz

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostHaptic, on 23 August 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

VonMerkatz, that build you posted really interested me, so I tried to create a similar build, but with increased damage potential. Here's what I came up with: http://www.gw2skills...GbNuak1sIYQwGDA.

With the Right-Handed Strength trait, you have 41% crit chance, and gain Vigor on crits thanks to Vigorous Precision. Virtue of Justice is constantly refreshing as you kill enemies, so you are constantly applying Burning to each foe you fight, and deal 10% more damage to these foes thanks to Radiant Power.

On the other hand, you also have great survivability thanks to the Mace + Shield OH, Valor trait line, and Shouts.

I chose Renewed Focus for the elite skill, as it can be unlocked earlier than Tome of Courage, but it can be replaced with the Tome as you level up and gain more skill points.

Thoughts? I'm thinking this might be better for leveling than my previous spirit weapon build.

Edit: Forgot to say, I believe this build could perform equally well in both open-world PvE and dungeons. Since open-world PvE largely revolves around dynamic events, you should still be gaining a significant amount of health through Altruistic Healing while maintaining high single-target DPS. I wish I could throw the Greatsword into this build for more AoE DPS capability, but I don't see it fitting in.

Your build will work and is stronger PvE, but in Dungeons melee need max HP (Valor and Boons) as mobs/bosses do heavy damage so I think my build will do better in Dungeons whereas yours will do better in DEs and sother solo PvE events. Just my opinion.

#16 Tolchar

Tolchar

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Something to think about as well, I believe you can't go over 10 in any one line until 40.  And then you can't go over 20 until level 60 (may be slightly off on that)

#17 Haptic

Haptic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostTolchar, on 23 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Something to think about as well, I believe you can't go over 10 in any one line until 40.  And then you can't go over 20 until level 60 (may be slightly off on that)

You are correct in that.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users