• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Metalripper

Metalripper

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I am new to these boards and to the thief, until today, the thief was one of the few classes I had yet to play in-depth. I enjoyed it very much, and I believe that the thief personifies the essence of Guild Wars.

I am looking to theorycraft a thief build that would work well as a support role for small group encounters in WvW as well as PVE dungeons. My first inquiry is whether the AOE blinds from utility skills and traited stealths is a legitimate and practical role for a thief to be playing to support a small group.

My second question(s) are about the usefulness of specific traits that may greatly increase the survivability of a thief, as a trade-off for a small amount of offensive capability. As I was under time constraints during this beta, I was unable to fully test of the effects of a few traits. I was hoping someone who has tested the traits listed below would be able to provide some insight.

Assassin's Reward- A trait that heals the player just from using initiative. Seems like a great idea, almost all the thief's skills cost initiative, what is better than dealing damage and healing yourself at the same time?

Shadow's Protector- Trait that grants regeneration on stealthed allies. Seems like a great way for a thief to support a group.

Shadow's Rejuvenation- Trait that grants the thief regeneration whenever entering stealth. Once again, seems like a great way to boost survivability during a long heated battle.

Leeching Venom- Trait that heals the player when striking with a venom. And again, dealing damage AND healing at the same time. I also wonder if it would heal allies if combined with Venomous Aura?

I'll appreciate any responses to anything I've written, and I am open to suggestions to doing things differently.

#2 Scol

Scol

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Assassin's Reward - 5 ini skills were healing me for ~340
Leeching Venom - 360 heal and damage per hit. That makes spider venom +1800heal +1800 damage on Unload.

#3 auxili

auxili

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostScol, on 22 August 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Leeching Venom - 360 heal and damage per hit. That makes spider venom +1800heal +1800 damage on Unload.
How does that have anything to do with support?

#4 Scol

Scol

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

View Postauxili, on 22 August 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

How does that have anything to do with support?
OP was asking about these traits.

#5 auxili

auxili

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostScol, on 22 August 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

OP was asking about these traits.
My bad, I skipped past it. I'm at fault. :P

#6 Metalripper

Metalripper

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostScol, on 22 August 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Thank you for your response, that amount of healing is certainly nothing to scoff at.

#7 theqwertyosc

theqwertyosc

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Guild Tag:[UK]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

In wvwvw I was experiencing huge amounts of lag, however I found that as a thief a valuable supportive role you can play is using stealth to revive allies and stomp enemies that would be otherwise difficult to reach, and of course shadow refuge is an amazing ability for wvwvw.

I was also using scorpion-wire and crippling strike to secure kills and stop enemies fleeing. One thing I particularly like about scorpion wire is that it can be used to ruin the day of any enemy who over extends just a little too much; by pulling them right into the middle of a group of players. I have found that a common mindset of a wvwvw player is to shoot at the closest thing that moves!

Thrill of the crime and bountiful thief are very powerful abilities when in a group of players and finally: venom sharing, 'nuff said.

Basically, the thief cannot provide much in the way of traditional support, but when being supportive provides more tactical support, through positioning, stealth, and the odd buff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thief, traits, support, regeneration, blinding, healing, venom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users