Killyox

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

This has been constantly nagging at me ever since i saw it and it is still like that to some degree.
Rifle is neither ranged or melee. It has something from both worlds. I think it could be improved upon a bit.

Right now when you look at skill range it looks like this
#1 - 1000
#2 - 1000
#3 - 400 with 100/200/300/400 borders for damage increase. Notice that 100 range is less
than melee range (130-150)
#4 - 400
#5 - 700

Blunderbuss is pretty much mostly effective at range of 200 and less which is kinda sucky sucky because you have to be literally in melee range to benefit from it the most. It also means that in ranged firefight we are at a disadvantage because we have effectively 1 ranged skill that does damage (#1).

Few things I would change

#1 - gets to keep 1000 range but at distance of 300-400 it could do a cone AoE damage
#2 - Would change it to Barbed Net and make it cause 1-2 stacks of 8sec bleed
#3 - i would adjust the ranges on it but instead of 4 ranges make 3, 200/400/600 and give it 6/4/2 bleeds (or 4/3/1)
#4 - leave it as it is
#5 - leave it as it is or add in 3sec cripple at starting location

(basically a true shotgun feel)

Some may question that this gets in the way of the flamethrower and such people will be right, it does. I feel like flamethrower and rifle got mixed. Flame Blast-like skill would be better on rifle and blunderbuss-like skill would be better on flamethrower. Unfortunately that is not the case. It could be solved by making Flamethrower also better for condition specs but that is subject for another thread.

Anyone else feels that it';s kind of wonky with ranges on the rifle?

#2 Vuh

Vuh

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostKillyox, on 22 August 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

This has been constantly nagging at me ever since i saw it and it is still like that to some degree.
Rifle is neither ranged or melee. It has something from both worlds. I think it could be improved upon a bit.

#1 - 1000
#2 - 1000
#3 - 400 with 100/200/300/400 borders for damage increase. Notice that 100 range is less
#4 - 400
#5 - 700

Blunderbuss is pretty much mostly effective at range of 200 and less which is kinda sucky sucky because you have to be literally in melee range to benefit from it the most. It also means that in ranged firefight we are at a disadvantage because we have effectively 1 ranged skill that does damage (#1).

#1 - gets to keep 1000 range but at distance of 300-400 it could do a cone AoE damage
#3 - i would adjust the ranges on it but instead of 4 ranges make 3, 200/400/600 and give it 6/4/2 bleeds (or 4/3/1)
#4 - leave it as it is

Some may question that this gets in the way of the flamethrower and such people will be right, it does. I feel like flamethrower and rifle got mixed. Flame Blast-like skill would be better on rifle and blunderbuss-like skill would be better on flamethrower. Unfortunately that is not the case. It could be solved by making Flamethrower also better for condition specs but that is subject for another thread.

Yep i really find the ranges wonky, but honestly what annoys me most is the animation of #5, just doesn't feel right.
Anyway i really like your ideas, abit unsure about the barbed net though

#3 Killyox

Killyox

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Barbed Net is just a small bonus so you have higher uptime (a bit) on the minor trait +5% dmg to bleeding foes (if you have it). Pretty much all the purpose of it. Net Shot without it is still mighty good.

#4 Grayle

Grayle

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm with you on Blunderbuss doing max damage at 200 range. Having to get closer than a Melee dude is just crazy.

#5 Rachmani

Rachmani

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

True, rifle can't decide whether it wants to be melee or ranged... and ends up being both, but with all the drawbacks rather than the advantages.

#6 Killyox

Killyox

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Rifle has a big potential, just needs a couple of logical changes. At least they fixed skill delay after using blunderbuss.

#7 Primalpat

Primalpat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Nice suggestions, as it would certainly feel similar to a shotgun.  I would rather the "rifle" be named a "shotgun" so as to not mislead people into using it like a warrior's rifle.

Our weapon sets are all mid range no matter what combo we use.  I think focusing the rifle into a "sniper" or a "shotgun" type weapon would gives us more playstyle versatility instead of "Conditions or Power?"

#8 Azures

Azures

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Guild Tag:[W2B]

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Requiring melee range is probably what allows blunderbuss and jump shot to have the damage values they do. otherwise you're left with stuff like ranger longbow.

I'd put our Rifle as the best power-based ranged weapon. Sure you can use the term ranged loosely, but it is.

Edited by Azures, 22 August 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#9 Sol1

Sol1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostKillyox, on 22 August 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

#1 - 1000
#2 - 1000
#4 - 400
#5 - 700

#4 - leave it as it is

Excellent suggestions and will definitely make the rifle feel more shotgun-ish as I can't remember where I've seen anywhere that a blunberbuss required the shooter to be closer than knife range before smearing a target across the wall behind them.  No. 5 also takes too long to execute and looks silly with you just chilling out in mid air.

I like all the suggestions posted and can't think of a better solution. +1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rifle, engineer, engie, ranged, melee, eng, suggestion, idea, killyox, guild wars 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users