4 replies to this topic

#1 Orphansmith

Orphansmith

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Here's the link.

I'm not super-skilled in MMO combat. I find it hard enough kiting, moving, dodging and keeping track of enemies and my own cooldowns, so I don't really have the time or headspace to keep track of a bunch of clones and phantasms on top of that and then shatter at exactly the right moment.

In addition, I find that clones are pretty weak, and one or two die before I'm able to get three up for a shatter anyway. That only happens in mass combat when the enemy is focused on someone or something else. So I wanted to make a build using the trait that causes confusion on targets around an illusion after its destroyed, and a build that pumps out a healthy number of clones so I never have to worry about not having enough to help me out. In the meantime, I stay back and hit with conditions (staff) or DD (greatsword).

Thoughts? I'm on the fence about greatsword/sceptre. Sceptre can keep pumping clones out no problem, but I'm afraid new illusions will oust old ones, and there are some good phantasms and phantasm traits available, so the more phantasms I can have out the better (and it's not like I assume players will get confused over clones, they rarely do. And enemies eat clones in three seconds.)

Thoughts?

#2 Felme

Felme

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

For ease of use I'd stay away from playing a condition based Mesmer. Power builds are significantly easier to manage because you pop out the phantasms and they do over half the damage for you.

Anywho with a power build your swordsman are going to be critting for 5-6k and the warlock will be critting ~4k, with 3 phantasms out that's close to 15k damage every ~6s. You won't match that on a condition build and even for the most amazing players the more drawn out the fight, the more opportunities there are to make mistakes is the way I see it.

So for ease of play I'd say go with something like: http://gw2skills.net...GbNuak1sEZIymCA

You might think a melee build would be harder but Mesmers have more survivability for melee dps than any other profession.

#3 Orphansmith

Orphansmith

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostFelme, on 22 August 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

For ease of use I'd stay away from playing a condition based Mesmer. Power builds are significantly easier to manage because you pop out the phantasms and they do over half the damage for you.

Anywho with a power build your swordsman are going to be critting for 5-6k and the warlock will be critting ~4k, with 3 phantasms out that's close to 15k damage every ~6s. You won't match that on a condition build and even for the most amazing players the more drawn out the fight, the more opportunities there are to make mistakes is the way I see it.

So for ease of play I'd say go with something like: http://gw2skills.net...GbNuak1sEZIymCA

You might think a melee build would be harder but Mesmers have more survivability for melee dps than any other profession.

When you say they have more survivability, how so?

#4 Wifflebottom

Wifflebottom

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SOL]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostOrphansmith, on 22 August 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

When you say they have more survivability, how so?
Mesmers have a lot of skills to quickly escape a fight. Phase retreat, decoy, the prestige etc.

#5 Felme

Felme

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

Main hand sword for the Mesmer is easily the strongest 1h weapon in the game atm. The build I linked gives you:

1. The teleport&root on illusionary leap to get into the fight.
2. Blurred Frenzy to do damage and make you invulnerable for 2s while it channels. It's only on a 10s cd which can be traited down if you really want.
3. Decoy which is a stun breaker and stealth.
4. Blink which is a stun breaker and teleport.
5. Riposte which can block an attack or be used to daze.
6. Moa for an easy "I win" in a 1v1 or the great equalizer in a 1v2.
7. Phase retreat on the staff to get you out of a circle if everything else is on CD.
8. Chaos Storm to give you Aegis buffs that absorb attacks for you.
9. Distortion shatter if you're in a real pinch and 1-8 are on cooldown.

It's very nearly impossible to die as long as you remember which keys all those abilities are bound to although you're pretty likely to trigger at least one of them just by mashing half of your keyboard. Plus the added advantage of playing a power build and not having to watch any condition timers at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mesmer, theorycraft, lazy, clones, illusion, phantasm, confusion, contidion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users