#1 Spirit Bird

Spirit Bird

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BOLD]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

What attribute numbers should I be aiming for if I'm leaning towards a Sword/Pistol or Greatsword build?  For example, I imaged lots of damage and precision would be important.  But since I will be fighting close ranged, how important will Toughness and Vitality be as well?

Thanks.

#2 Taywyn

Taywyn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostSpirit Bird, on 22 August 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

What attribute numbers should I be aiming for if I'm leaning towards a Sword/Pistol or Greatsword build?  For example, I imaged lots of damage and precision would be important.  But since I will be fighting close ranged, how important will Toughness and Vitality be as well?

Thanks.

Right now, the duelist line is wrong on all the calculators I'm aware of because it was changed for last night's stress test and the calculators haven't been updated yet to reflect those changes. A LOT of people really like the ability to spawn an illusion with dodge (Deceptive Evasion) from duelist. As of last night, that ability now costs us 5 more points into duelist than before, which can greatly change what you can and can't do in the other trees. So until they get those calculators updated, I feel like I'm in limbo. Not that it's a big deal, once Saturday hits we'll have all the time in the world to test things live. I have a few ideas I'm looking forward to trying already!

#3 darkblue

darkblue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CQ]
  • Server:Eredon Terrace

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

Actually he was asking for attribut numbers not trait line investment.

As sword or GS user, power is by far your best offensive stat.
As far as defensive stat is concerned they all have their use.
Vitality is important because it makes you less prone to burst damage (and in PvE especially dungeons you'll mostly take burst damage).
Toughness is usually great because you usually don't take massive condition damage on PvE. So it does play its dual role well (diminishing damage taken = more real HP pool and less regen/heal needed to get back on foot) and healing power just let you recover faster (IMO it is the least important one especially if you have good toughness). Since toughness also affects your illusions and they will tank a lot of damage too I really think toughness is the best defensive stat to focus on as long as you still get a bit of vitality.

Precision is not a bad stat but does not seem to be as good in PvE as in PvP. The reason is precision is really good for illusions and they tend to die quickier in PvE than PvP. As far as your own damage output is concerned, with those weapons power is strictly better so focus on that and that alone (as long as you are happy with your defense). That's my take :)

#4 Spirit Bird

Spirit Bird

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BOLD]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Wow that's great input thanks, exactly what I was looking for -- Didn't know diverse Toughness can really be.

Either way, thanks for letting me know Taywyn;  some of my builds  relied on the Deceptive Evasion skill and it's good to know that I might have to tweak somethings if I want to keep my dodge/cloning abilities :D

#5 Espritdumort

Espritdumort

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

As mostly a PvE player myself, I've leaned towards investing more in Toughness/Vitality.  In both solo or team play PvE, being able to survive longer seems to be a better option, especially against multiple enemies.  If you are high in Power, you may burst kill an enemy, but enemy two and three will be able to kill you a lot easier as you wait for your skills to recharge (you can't dodge it all!).

It's personal preference, if you think you are good at evasion and avoiding damage through crowd control skills, then go more into Power.  If you don't think you can, you might look into spending more points in Vitality and Toughness.

#6 Taywyn

Taywyn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostEspritdumort, on 22 August 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

As mostly a PvE player myself, I've leaned towards investing more in Toughness/Vitality.  In both solo or team play PvE, being able to survive longer seems to be a better option, especially against multiple enemies.  If you are high in Power, you may burst kill an enemy, but enemy two and three will be able to kill you a lot easier as you wait for your skills to recharge (you can't dodge it all!).

It's personal preference, if you think you are good at evasion and avoiding damage through crowd control skills, then go more into Power.  If you don't think you can, you might look into spending more points in Vitality and Toughness.

I think this is excellent advice. Especially when you're low level and have very few options. Later when you get a lot more tricks in your bag, you can probably afford to tweak things for more damage. I only got to lvl 8 with my Mesmer, and I really felt like I was walking on a tightrope very often.

#7 darkblue

darkblue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

I've never given any numbers and any comparisons between offensive stats and defensive stats for a reason ;)
I just compared offensive stats together (by the way you can/will get other offensive stats than power because you are going to get 2/3 stats for every piece of gear, power is just the major focus there).

The balance between offense and defense is clearly a personal choice to make and a feeling you should get as Espritdumort explained very well :)

#8 dragonphlu

dragonphlu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

View Postdarkblue, on 22 August 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Vitality is important because it makes you less prone to burst damage (and in PvE especially dungeons you'll mostly take burst damage).
Toughness is usually great because you usually don't take massive condition damage on PvE. So it does play its dual role well (diminishing damage taken = more real HP pool and less regen/heal needed to get back on foot) and healing power just let you recover faster (IMO it is the least important one especially if you have good toughness). Since toughness also affects your illusions and they will tank a lot of damage too I really think toughness is the best defensive stat to focus on as long as you still get a bit of vitality.

Precision is not a bad stat but does not seem to be as good in PvE as in PvP. The reason is precision is really good for illusions and they tend to die quickier in PvE than PvP. As far as your own damage output is concerned, with those weapons power is strictly better so focus on that and that alone (as long as you are happy with your defense). That's my take :)

It's nice that toughness is also applied to our illusions, but it's a pity that vitality doesn't. As for precision, it now brings up another concern: will it be okay to have low precision (or no points into Dueling) if I'm wielding a staff and/or scepter/off-hand? I know that greatsword and MH sword would go well with power and can sacrifice much precision, but I wasn't sure about the other 2 main weapons (this is for PvE purpose since I'll be mostly PvE'ing).

Edit: Nevermind, that was rather a redundant question that's been answered. ><;

Edited by dragonphlu, 23 August 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#9 darkblue

darkblue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

Well, until you get deceptive evasion I would not rely on precision ... afterthat I have no idea I haven't PvE'd with it :P

IMO, you should still get dueling because it's a great trait line and even if precision is not as useful it still adds some damage output (personally I will probably still get a bit of precision through gear too).
You just have to understand that there are 2 reasons on PvP that makes precision important and that aren't as valid for PvE : sigils and illusion damage output. If you can still steadily have 3 clones up on a condition spec please get a heavy amount of crit :)

#10 dragonphlu

dragonphlu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

Yeah, during last stress test, I made a 20/20/10/0/20 build and, using staff and greatsword was able to beat all the npc profession, Svanir and that big jotun without dying (Yeah, I know that's nothing to brag about, but it's a big progress for me). Occasionally, I swap greatsword with scepter + torch/focus. I try not to use OH pistol because it's a very easy (and good) weapon and I want to see if I can still beat those foes with other weapons. I don't often fight well in melee range, hence I won't be using MH sword (I'll still unlock the skills and such).

#11 Espritdumort

Espritdumort

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

View Postdragonphlu, on 23 August 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

Yeah, during last stress test, I made a 20/20/10/0/20 build and, using staff and greatsword was able to beat all the npc profession, Svanir and that big jotun without dying (Yeah, I know that's nothing to brag about, but it's a big progress for me).

Svanir isn't a pushover either, if you aren't careful Svanir or the Chieftain can stomp you quite quickly.  I would say it's an accomplishment, good job!

#12 Elrathan

Elrathan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

To be honest, I'd start by stacking lost of vitality and toughness. This game can be pretty unforgiving if you don't dodge properly so this will give you a safety net while you learn proper evasion.

Once you get more comfortable at predicting and avoinding enemy damage you can start adding power or condition damage. As each successful evade means more if you are squishier you should be able to operate a little more efficiently now. Just slowly increase your damage stats until you find that your evasive ability can't give you enough survivability to justify the change.

Precision only starts to become worth it when you get some +crit damage or on-crit abilities. Otherwise power is usually superior.

Remember, you don't want to go ether full tank or full glass cannon. To much defence and you'll take forever to kill stuff while too little will bankrupt you from repair costs.

TL:DR: You need vit+tough and ether power or malice (depending on build) in a ratio determined by how good you are at avoiding damage.

Edited by Elrathan, 24 August 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#13 omgthisnamesux

omgthisnamesux

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Just to clarify - at least, my understanding.

Someone above posted that Toughness counters Condition and Vitality counters Burst.  I believe it's actually the opposite in reality:

Toughness is actually like Armor, and thus mitigates more damage from burst ... effectively countering Burst skills.

Vitality increases your health pool.  Conditions ignore Toughness/Armor, so the larger your health pool the less overall % of your health you lose from a condition, and the more time you have to regain HP (through personal or friendly support skills)... and thus Vitality counters Conditions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: attributes, pve, mesmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users