Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * - 1 votes

Massive FPS drop after the drivers update

graphics driver

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KZavi

KZavi

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Location:UK, London
  • Guild Tag:[Wild]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

Well, here is the story:

Before the stress test on 21st August I used the 301.42 drivers (I have GTX 460) and was getting about 60 FPS on max settings (with supersampling). When I saw a notice in the launcher, I decided to update to the latest beta drivers, and after that FPS varied between 20 and 45.
But on tonight's stress test it went all the way down to 15 and didn't get past 20 no matter what I did. And, honestly, it's unplayable.

I thought new drivers were supposed to optimise the game, not the other way around :(

#2 secr33t

secr33t

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Well they are beta drivers.  Try 305.67 or revert back to 301.42.

#3 amasokin

amasokin

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Location:France
  • Guild Tag:[PhS]
  • Server:Vizunah Square

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

I'm running a 580 GTX in 2560x1600, all high settings, 301.42 drivers. Last stress test I had a steady 50-60 fps, today perfs took a huge hit and decreased to 30-35 fps. Same amount of people/effects on screen, same drivers.

I know they recommend the latest beta drivers but I was waiting for the last moments before the headstart to upgrade. But from what I'm reading, some people with 304.79 drivers also took a huge hit in fps, while some others gain a big boost. Really don't know what they're fiddling with but I sure hope they will fix it for the release ! So annoying that I had smooth graphics 2 days ago while now it runs like shit.

Edited by amasokin, 24 August 2012 - 12:58 AM.


#4 psytic

psytic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

on 304.79 I dropped 10 fps this last stress  test.

#5 Tristany

Tristany

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

I never changed drivers... havent; had any issues that I thought required me changing...  was getting 60-70 fps running around DivReach...

301.42 drivers on a 560TI card.

#6 FuzzyGreenBunnies

FuzzyGreenBunnies

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Location:Western Australia
  • Guild Tag:[OCX]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

See I upgraded to 304.79 and my graphics are running smooth as butter.. still get a slight fps drop in high traffic areas but nothing i'm worried about..and thats running at Best Appearance...i have a gtx580

#7 Shadowcat101

Shadowcat101

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

where can i find this 305.67 driver? they only have the 304.79 on the site....

#8 Tristany

Tristany

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

http://www.nvidia.co...driver-4.3.html

Make sure you have a copy of the 301.42 drivers handy just in case... (current release)

Edited by Tristany, 24 August 2012 - 01:20 AM.


#9 Cazkain

Cazkain

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

http://www.geforce.c...ers/beta-legacy

Good 2 check here also!

#10 Tristany

Tristany

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostFuzzyGreenBunnies, on 24 August 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

See I upgraded to 304.79 and my graphics are running smooth as butter.. still get a slight fps drop in high traffic areas but nothing i'm worried about..and thats running at Best Appearance...i have a gtx580

But for comparison.. Besr ins't maxed.. there are a couple settings that can be bumped to Ulta from High...

I run with everything at top except one (and can;t recall what it was now) and get the 60-70 on the 560ti.

For what it's worth I NEVER install all the extra crap (Physix engine, etc) when I install.. I deselect everything except "Driver"

View PostCazkain, on 24 August 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:


They do not list the 305.67 drivers in the beta/legacy lsiting... I guess the 305 is some sort of OpenGL suppoting driver...  not sure why (or where) this was suggest to use for GW2.. but the link I listed is nvidia's site and page for them.

#11 Rorigon

Rorigon

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 167 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

I'm just going to keep the release drivers for right now, personally.

I haven't had any problems, and performance is perfectly suitable.   I can wait till release.

#12 Tristany

Tristany

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

GOod call.. if it ain't broke (too bad) don;t fix it. (at least not during a don't let me down time period)

#13 FuzzyGreenBunnies

FuzzyGreenBunnies

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Location:Western Australia
  • Guild Tag:[OCX]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostTristany, on 24 August 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

But for comparison.. Besr ins't maxed.. there are a couple settings that can be bumped to Ulta from High...

I run with everything at top except one (and can;t recall what it was now) and get the 60-70 on the 560ti.

For what it's worth I NEVER install all the extra crap (Physix engine, etc) when I install.. I deselect everything except "Driver"



Ahh I didnt know that.. and I'm sure I could optimize my game better but i'm waiting for all these issues to be sorted out first..
its been quite hit and miss for some people it seems, as the OP points out, they have had  a drop in performance but i've had no real issues with any of the driver updates..I also wonder how much our CPU's affect all of this.. I mean.. do they have any impact on FPS and our games performance or is it all just our GPU's?

#14 KZavi

KZavi

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Location:UK, London
  • Guild Tag:[Wild]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Installed the developer drivers, will see how it goes.
And we are supposed to get the new ones before launch, yes?

#15 Sir Twist

Sir Twist

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

301.42 causes problems with factory-overclocked boards from “some manufacturers,” one of which happens to be EVGA (mine). As in idling the core clock down to 51 MHz and getting stuck there. So I have 304.48 installed and .79 downloaded and will probably install it tomorrow.

#16 AriaQ

AriaQ

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Location:UK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

View Postamasokin, on 24 August 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

I'm running a 580 GTX in 2560x1600, all high settings, 301.42 drivers. Last stress test I had a steady 50-60 fps, today perfs took a huge hit and decreased to 30-35 fps. Same amount of people/effects on screen, same drivers.

I know they recommend the latest beta drivers but I was waiting for the last moments before the headstart to upgrade. But from what I'm reading, some people with 304.79 drivers also took a huge hit in fps, while some others gain a big boost. Really don't know what they're fiddling with but I sure hope they will fix it for the release ! So annoying that I had smooth graphics 2 days ago while now it runs like shit.

Strange,  I'm running GTX 580, I updated drivers to beta and updated my OpenGL and I'm up from 35 to 60.

#17 JiYan

JiYan

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[ATac]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have a GTX 460 as well and i was looking for information about other 460 owners' experience with gw2 and drivers.  I currently use the 296.10 drivers and i have been consistently getting 40 fps in most areas of the game.  There seems to be lots of discussion about these >300 (R300) drivers, but ive been just fine using 296.10 since forever.

hope this helps.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graphics, driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users