#1 MagsMorrigan

MagsMorrigan

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Goth]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

I recently took the opportunity this last, brief, stress test to take a single picture of every character creation option choice (physique, skin/fur pattern, face, hair, tattoo, ears, horns) for each gender without armor on while still in the character creation screen.

All of the selections are labeled in a grid fashion to match the visual on the creation screen so you can browse at your leisure and write down the code of what you want for your final look. (Example for a Norn female: physique 2, tattoo 2.6, face 9, hair 3.3)

I figure things won't change too quickly from now on, and people may want to pin down what they will be making at release.  That can be hard to do considering you can't simply log in and putz about any time you feel like it right now; or you didn't pre-purchase and have never seen any of this in detail.

I've made albums for each race (both genders) on our guild's Facebook site, which is open to public access.

Here are the links, I just ask that any comments are kept clean on the site - since, as I said, it is public access.  Enjoy.

Sylvari Character Creation Album

Norn Character Creation Album

Charr Character Creation Album

Human Character Creation Album

Asura Character Creation Album

Edited by MagsMorrigan, 24 August 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#2 roachsrealm

roachsrealm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GOTH]

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:29 AM

yay!  now I can finally nail down what my silly asura will look like.

#3 Rhaviolio

Rhaviolio

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

Nice...  it's helpful

#4 LavaSquid

LavaSquid

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[----]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

Thanks! Something to chew while waiting for the game!

#5 Passive Aggressive

Passive Aggressive

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1316 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SPAM]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:54 AM

Woah! Impressive amount of work.  I am totally overwhelmed with all the choices. I have narrowed down my main more or less but I think I am going to end up spending a fortune on character slots so I can make tons of different alts!

#6 Howl

Howl

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1457 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

Nice work!, this would have been more useful done before the last day prior to release but anyway, something to kill some time.

#7 roachsrealm

roachsrealm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GOTH]

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostHowl, on 24 August 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Nice work!, this would have been more useful done before the last day prior to release but anyway, something to kill some time.

I think a lot of these have changed since we first saw them.  Its nice to see all of them as close as they will be to launch as possible.

#8 CharrGirl

CharrGirl

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1757 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

They really didn't add more faces as the community asked did they :/

#9 Pyrofire

Pyrofire

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for this, got me thinking now

#10 MagsMorrigan

MagsMorrigan

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostCharrGirl, on 24 August 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

They really didn't add more faces as the community asked did they :/

They seem to have added more faces for Norn males.  They also changed several Norn female faces, and two Human female faces that I could spot just taking pictures.  They added more hairstyle options for the Norn as well, and new tattoos, I think.  I can't say about the facial hair options since I admit I was not that familiar with the male beta characters.  If you're going to look at a tushie all day.... lol

They DID add a ton of color options for the Sylvari, more skin tones for the Norn and Humans, and removed or changed some physique options for Humans and Norn.

That's all I seemed to notice right away.

View PostHowl, on 24 August 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

View Postroachsrealm, on 24 August 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

I think a lot of these have changed since we first saw them.  Its nice to see all of them as close as they will be to launch as possible.

And yes, this is why I didn't document character creation in previous betas.  Earlier, I focused on taking tutorial shots of every UI option for skills, Black Lion trading, equipment, crafting, and communication interfaces for our guild members who were not able to join us for the beta testing; something internet videos cannot provide for close examination. That and I wanted to play the game and not just work work work!  Haha.  ^_^

Edited by MagsMorrigan, 24 August 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#11 Sueisfine

Sueisfine

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GP]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostMagsMorrigan, on 24 August 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

I recently took the opportunity this last, brief, stress test to take a single picture of every character creation option choice (physique, skin/fur pattern, face, hair, tattoo, ears, horns) for each gender without armor on while still in the character creation screen.

All of the selections are labeled in a grid fashion to match the visual on the creation screen so you can browse at your leisure and write down the code of what you want for your final look. (Example for a Norn female: physique 2, tattoo 2.6, face 9, hair 3.3)

I figure things won't change too quickly from now on, and people may want to pin down what they will be making at release.  That can be hard to do considering you can't simply log in and putz about any time you feel like it right now; or you didn't pre-purchase and have never seen any of this in detail.

I've made albums for each race (both genders) on our guild's Facebook site, which is open to public access.

Here are the links, I just ask that any comments are kept clean on the site - since, as I said, it is public access.  Enjoy.

Sylvari Character Creation Album

Norn Character Creation Album

Charr Character Creation Album

Human Character Creation Album

Asura Character Creation Album

Thanks a lot for your work and for sharing this!

#12 Symbiont

Symbiont

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NULL]

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

any new faces or anything added on the 25th? if no, we will all be look-a-likes! well mostly the humans and norn, they are the most easily recognised even after the use of sliders.

Edited by Symbiont, 25 August 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#13 MagsMorrigan

MagsMorrigan

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostSymbiont, on 25 August 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

any new faces or anything added on the 25th? if no, we will all be look-a-likes! well mostly the humans and norn, they are the most easily recognised even after the use of sliders.

I have not seen nor heard that any new faces have been added.  I also look forward to more customization options as time passes. I made good use of the 'personal stylist' when it came out in GW1 but am very happy with my Human and Norn characters.  
Although, it would have been very cool to be have a customization slider for hair length.   *cough* ??? eh, ArenaNet?  How 'bout it?

#14 Symbiont

Symbiont

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NULL]

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostMagsMorrigan, on 29 August 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

I have not seen nor heard that any new faces have been added.  I also look forward to more customization options as time passes. I made good use of the 'personal stylist' when it came out in GW1 but am very happy with my Human and Norn characters.  
Although, it would have been very cool to be have a customization slider for hair length.   *cough* ??? eh, ArenaNet?  How 'bout it?

i believe one of arenanet employee said sometime during alpha that more customization where to be added, but at the end of the day, players have the same faces and pre-sets choices as in alpha, unless in their vaguely wording they meant to say customisation-sliders, which are merely a gimmick at most.

Edited by Symbiont, 30 August 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#15 MagsMorrigan

MagsMorrigan

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Symbiont, it does seem to be true that you see a lot of the same faces over and over in game.  I suppose it's simply a case of people would rather select the more classically attractive faces and features as opposed to selecting a slightly more unique combination.  For instance, I have yet to see a "fat" or ragged-looking female human character running around LA or Divinity's Reach.

I personally don't have any problem with seeing the same faces over and over as I am constantly amazed at the variety of armors, colours, and skins I see in a random sampling of characters.  I also managed to make a female human face that looks so remarkably like me that my husband, who also plays, gets a little creeped out when I use that character.  Granted, the starter face looks a lot like me to begin with, but I used every slider option there was and a hand mirror to get it just right; and the time spent is worth the goofy look he gets on his face when I use that toon.  On a side note, we have a male guild member who did the same with his human elementalist, with the aid of his wife saying "no, more like this..." and so on.  I'll admit, it's a dead ringer for him.

I am most impressed with the overall game play and the time ArenaNet took to provide an engaging world and leveling options such as crafting and personal story.  It seems to me that they spent an adequate amount of time on the aesthetics of the character creation and put in their best time and efforts in coding the game play itself.  

As new updates to fix bugs come out weekly, at least, it seems they still have their priorities in the proper place.  Game play first, expansion last.  I hope that when they do get everything sorted out and guilds/parties, skill challenges, the trading post, and achievements function correctly and they finally get around to expanding on the aesthetic options, you can find a character face that you like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character creation, norn, asura, charr, human, sylvari, faces, hair, skins, pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users