Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Client keeps redownloading?

client launcher error bug

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 111uminate

111uminate

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

I apologize if this has been asked about or answered previously, but I google searched and what I found was hit or miss. I couldn't find a clear solution, probably because I have little indication in what I even downloaded.

Ok, so. I pre-purchased GW2 a few days ago from Gamestop (Big mistake; however the Anet site said they were sold out for me). I got a code, and I registered it on the GW2 site and made an account. I haven't partaken in any of the BWEs, so I haven't ran the game yet.

I downloaded the client and let it run to 100%, but now when I reopen it it tries to download again. The hell is that? The file size of Gw2.dat in my folder is 15gigs, and the downloader wants to download another 4700 files. My question is, do I have the beta client or is this the actual client I predownloaded? Also, how can I fix this redownloading business.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

#2 FuzzyGreenBunnies

FuzzyGreenBunnies

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Location:Western Australia
  • Guild Tag:[OCX]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

View Post111uminate, on 24 August 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

I downloaded the client and let it run to 100%, but now when I reopen it it tries to download again. The hell is that? The file size of Gw2.dat in my folder is 15gigs, and the downloader wants to download another 4700 files. My question is, do I have the beta client or is this the actual client I predownloaded? Also, how can I fix this redownloading business.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

they have been doing a fair number of updates these past few days.. that sounds pretty normal, they have also been doing alot of tiny updates today.. my advice is just keep hitting the update button until it goes directly to the launcher... and yes you did d/l the game client, the beta and game client are the same things :)

Edited by FuzzyGreenBunnies, 24 August 2012 - 04:57 AM.


#3 Izardoz

Izardoz

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1102 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BCT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

the client patches often...as it is supposed to
just let it download the files
we are now up to build 15,256
there have been 4 patches (or more) since noon today 8-23

#4 Aitchkay

Aitchkay

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 592 posts
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Guild Tag:[AI]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

There have been a LOT of new updates in the past couple of days.  I would do it a few more times before giving up.  If it still doesn't work, uninstall it, and reinstall it from the website.

Edit:  Also, what version is your client right now?  It should be Build: 15256.

Edited by Aitchkay, 24 August 2012 - 04:59 AM.


#5 111uminate

111uminate

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

Wow, thanks for the replies. Yeah I heard there were a ton of updates, but it just seemed like it was downloading all over again for me for some reason. How big is your guys' .dat file? Just wondering what should be normal.

Not sure what version I have as I'm not sure how to find out. Man, I'm never this dumb with comp/game stuff, but I'm sooo late to the party here. :eek:

Edit: Ah sweet, looks like it's all good now. It finished to 100%, and now when I open and close it stays that way. For some reason it kept redownloading after 100% a few times.

Edited by 111uminate, 24 August 2012 - 05:08 AM.


#6 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin, USA
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

My GW2.dat is currently 16.3 GB.  EDIT:  Corrected the value.  It is 17,18x,xxx KB, which is 16.3 GB.

To see which build you have, run the GW2.exe, and log in.  You should get a message saying that there isn't an event currently running, and in the bottom right corner, there is a build number.

Edited by Beta Sprite, 24 August 2012 - 05:10 AM.


#7 111uminate

111uminate

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostBeta Sprite, on 24 August 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

My GW2.dat is currently 16.3 GB.  EDIT:  Corrected the value.  It is 17,18x,xxx KB, which is 16.3 GB.

To see which build you have, run the GW2.exe, and log in.  You should get a message saying that there isn't an event currently running, and in the bottom right corner, there is a build number.

Thanks for that. And yep, I'm on build 15256. My .dat is only 15.1 GB, but that's probably because I haven't ever ran the game yet and it didn't fetch any extra files.

Thanks a bunch guys. That's one thing cleared up; now to worry if I have a 3 day headstart or not. :(

#8 Soylent

Soylent

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

The game is patched on almost a daily basis. Check that launcher every day to make sure you have it up to date in advance instead of patching it the night of release.

#9 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin, USA
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Post111uminate, on 24 August 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

Thanks for that. And yep, I'm on build 15256. My .dat is only 15.1 GB, but that's probably because I haven't ever ran the game yet and it didn't fetch any extra files.

Thanks a bunch guys. That's one thing cleared up; now to worry if I have a 3 day headstart or not. :(

If you want to pre-download any extra files that there might be, you can do the following to download and uncompress all of the data:
- Make a shortcut to your GW2.exe (even one in the game's folder will work)
- Right-click -> Properties
- Add "-image" to the end (no quotes)
- Accept
- Run the shortcut

It will just download and uncompress the data, and then close, so don't be surprised when you don't end up with a login prompt when you use that shortcut.

#10 111uminate

111uminate

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostBeta Sprite, on 24 August 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

If you want to pre-download any extra files that there might be, you can do the following to download and uncompress all of the data:
- Make a shortcut to your GW2.exe (even one in the game's folder will work)
- Right-click -> Properties
- Add "-image" to the end (no quotes)
- Accept
- Run the shortcut

It will just download and uncompress the data, and then close, so don't be surprised when you don't end up with a login prompt when you use that shortcut.

Sweet! Thanks for that. Gonna' give that a go.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: client, launcher, error, bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users