• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

This is a -very- resilient Rifle build to be used for point defense.
No one will be able to burst you down as you have 3k defense, good health pool and -33% damage reduction from 50% health and below, while still hitting like a truck.

http://gw2skills.net...AmAMLYOwkgtIYQA

Stats
24.500 health
3000 Attack
3000 Armor
32.7% crit chance (27% + 5.7% from signet mastery)
175% crit damage
12 seconds of Protection (-33% dmg) when you are down to 50% health.

Usage
The core mechanic is keeping Fury up 100% of the time, which isn't hard as you have 3 sources of fury:
1. For Great Justice.
2. Landing Bolas gives Fury
3. Signet of Rage
They should be used in the aforemention order for best efficiency.
That way you always have 52.7% critical chance.
Last Stand provides passive protection against CC, SoS removes all conditions.

Furthermore, your offhand set provides 10s swiftness and a leap on 8s CD so you can move around the map faster.

Edited by Red_Falcon, 24 August 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#2 Juggernautp

Juggernautp

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Very nice combinations. Keeping damage output, defence and health all high, I will have to give this build a go when the game is released.

#3 No_Remorse

No_Remorse

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm not experienced enough to critique this build but i do have 1 question.

Is the health regen on Healing signet significant enough for you to choose it over Mending?

I understand you have taken signet mastery but in actual healing Mending still comes out ahead and has the advantage of removing 2 conditions which in conjunction with signet of Stamina would keep you close to condition free.

Do you know the actual health regen rate?

Apologies in advance if i haven't taken something into account.

Edit: Maybe it's to take advantage of Deep Strike?

Edited by No_Remorse, 24 August 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#4 Rune100

Rune100

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostNo_Remorse, on 24 August 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Do you know the actual health regen rate?

I am almost certain the regen is 200 healing per second, without any +healing stat, but it seems to scale very poor with healing.

#5 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

The regen ends up outhealing mending by a good degree if you have traited signets.
But of course Mending in some situations is superior, for instance when you need to remove Weakness or Chill quickly without using SoS.

#6 Twigfried

Twigfried

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi Falcon,

Great build, I made something very similar (so similar in fact I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't see your post first).

I am mixed on Bolas for this build because you've already got a strong ranged attack - the whole purpose seems to be to trigger Opportunist since you've got no other Immob's in your build and plenty of gap closers / creators with sword + WH.

Opportunist gives something like 3 seconds of fury. I see what you're going for here but IMHO a stomp or a fear me to shake off focus fire would be more useful than 3 sec of fury every 20 sec. If you're going to run with warhorn and fast hands you may want to swap out Mobile strikes, since Horn4 removes immob already - you could then pick up heightened focus to get 3-9% more base crit.

I think you would be way better off dropping opportunist for crack shot at 20 arms and then grabbing Furious at 30 for sick adrenaline generation that would fuel your regen and crit (assuming you went heightened focus).

In any case, certainly a good build - thanks for posting it.

#7 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Nice input.

Honestly the main use of Bolas is landing Volley and Killshot tho.
People run fast and dodge in PvP and most times they get out of cripple so I immobilize them right before a Volley or Killshot.
The build has well-enough defense so I think that slot should be reserved for offense; I would consider On My Mark and maybe Fear.

Grabbing furious in place of opportunist is a great idea btw.

#8 Twigfried

Twigfried

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostRed_Falcon, on 25 August 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Nice input.

Honestly the main use of Bolas is landing Volley and Killshot tho.
People run fast and dodge in PvP and most times they get out of cripple so I immobilize them right before a Volley or Killshot.
The build has well-enough defense so I think that slot should be reserved for offense; I would consider On My Mark and maybe Fear.

Grabbing furious in place of opportunist is a great idea btw.

Ah! Good point on using Bolas offensively - I feel like blinders have just been removed from my eyes, never used it like that...

#9 UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2615 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BOMB]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

You might want to grab some runes that extend boon duration.

I've tried a very similar build in the mists before and I felt that the damage just wasn't there. I guess it works well in a point defender role though.

#10 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostUssjTrunks, on 26 August 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

You might want to grab some runes that extend boon duration.

I've tried a very similar build in the mists before and I felt that the damage just wasn't there. I guess it works well in a point defender role though.

Look at the stats please:

3000 Attack
32.7% crit chance + permafury
175% crit damage

If you don't feel the damage is there with this, there is something wrong with ya.
It can't get much higher than this really.

#11 Angrymime

Angrymime

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Been playing this build for a few hours and it's kinda fun.  Realy love the warhorn in sPvP and ability to escape tough situations.  Still working on trying to keep fury up.  Mostly using rage. The bolas and justice shout only keep up fury up for such a short time.  Going to mess with it more.

Find that I'm hardly using the sword.  I turned of auto attack and have 1 bound to [space] and jump moved to [shift].  Pretty good setup for spamming attack once you get used to it.  Wonder if swapping out sword for something else is an option or maybe I need to get used to having fury up and spamming the sword in close quarters.

#12 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostAngrymime, on 27 August 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Been playing this build for a few hours and it's kinda fun.  Realy love the warhorn in sPvP and ability to escape tough situations.  Still working on trying to keep fury up.  Mostly using rage. The bolas and justice shout only keep up fury up for such a short time.  Going to mess with it more.

Find that I'm hardly using the sword.  I turned of auto attack and have 1 bound to [space] and jump moved to [shift].  Pretty good setup for spamming attack once you get used to it.  Wonder if swapping out sword for something else is an option or maybe I need to get used to having fury up and spamming the sword in close quarters.

How is the damage and defense? I tried to bump them over 3k for big crits.

#13 DrMedRasen

DrMedRasen

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts
  • Server:Riverside

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Good build, but I think the axe fits better than the sword, since you get an instant high damage adrenaline skill and you can at least deal a bit of aoe damage. Also what Sigil are you using for your warhorn? You forgot to add it to your build.

#14 jjolin

jjolin

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

maybe its my stupidness but when i connect with bolas, i get no fury buff...

Edit: Yep it was my stupidness, didn't look that closely at the traits. im a noob.

Edited by jjolin, 27 August 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#15 geala

geala

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

The build looks nice. It is very susceptible to conditions however, isn't it? One conditon remover (plus two just against movement control) is not enough for me. Is the regeneration enough counter to damage conditions?

Edited by geala, 28 August 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#16 Red_Falcon

Red_Falcon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2417 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

View Postgeala, on 28 August 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

The build looks nice. It is very susceptible to conditions however, isn't it? One conditon remover (plus two just against movement control) is not enough for me. Is the regeneration enough counter to damage conditions?

Healing Signet counters them, if you are spammed with conditions simply use Signet of Stamina.
If you're even more afraid of conditions pick Lyssa runes so Signet of Rage also removes all conditions.

#17 RogueJestyr

RogueJestyr

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Nice build, how will this build look with a 2 hd sword instead of sword/horn?  I haven't a lot of builds that combine those two so far.

#18 Lightingbird

Lightingbird

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Has anyone created a 2h hammer / rifle build yet?  Ugh I'm having a hard time learning this ha.

#19 Drakojan

Drakojan

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DICE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostLightingbird, on 31 August 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Has anyone created a 2h hammer / rifle build yet?  Ugh I'm having a hard time learning this ha.
I have the same problem lol. I'll tell you if I get anything good.

#20 jjolin

jjolin

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

ok, noob question time. Does gear with healing stats increase the regen on healing signet? if so should i stack up on healing gear or should i go all out crit damage?

#21 Xevic

Xevic

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2s YEyGEA

My take on a defensible rifle build.

I like the idea of plenty of heals from shouts along with the bleed damage from both the auto attacks of the sword and rifle.  Of course the sword and warhorn are in the offhand for chase and escape.

The damage is low but the amount of survivability seems to be really good.

Another slight modification I liked was this:

http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2s YEyGEA

Basically changing out pierce and lower rifle cooldowns for retaliation when crit.  I really thing with the lower rifle damage and the way pvp works that the retaliation might put out more damage than the the rifle trait.

#22 Lightingbird

Lightingbird

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

I created a 2h hammer/rifle build but its offensive.  Last night was my first time using it in pve and WvW.  I'll post it up after I've done some more field testing.  The first time was great.

#23 GamerSerg

GamerSerg

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Postjjolin, on 01 September 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

ok, noob question time. Does gear with healing stats increase the regen on healing signet? if so should i stack up on healing gear or should i go all out crit damage?

Good question.  I assumed healing stat would only boost the activated healing but if it boost the regen that would be awesome.

My question... does Adrenal Health stack/improve the regen you already get from Healing Signet or does one trump the other?

#24 jjolin

jjolin

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostGamerSerg, on 03 September 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Good question.  I assumed healing stat would only boost the activated healing but if it boost the regen that would be awesome.

My question... does Adrenal Health stack/improve the regen you already get from Healing Signet or does one trump the other?

http://wiki.guildwar...ki/Regeneration

or if you dont care to click the link

Regeneration is a boon which heals for a small amount of health per second and stacks in duration. The healing applied by regeneration is determined by the following formula: 1.625*Level + 0.0625*Healing Power per second

but what has me head scratching is that healing signet's regen isnt really a boon, its a signet, so i dont know if healing power would increase it or not. anyon ehave any input?

Edited by jjolin, 03 September 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#25 Lightingbird

Lightingbird

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Maybe its jsut me, but I'd prefer damage over any other healing.  Then again, that might be my mass former mmo lives as a sniper/archer talking ha. :cool:

#26 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the build, enjoying it!  In PvE I actually don't need to move much now I tank stuff lol
In PvP Its also durable and once those bleeds are stcaked any one with low Toughness goes down fast.

#27 Rage_Expert

Rage_Expert

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostDrMedRasen, on 27 August 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Good build, but I think the axe fits better than the sword, since you get an instant high damage adrenaline skill and you can at least deal a bit of aoe damage. Also what Sigil are you using for your warhorn? You forgot to add it to your build.

I use the Axe on this build as well, i don't need to many gap closers, because i have 2 cripples, an immobolise, and swiftness, and when im in close enough range i Eviscerate(i hit an 8k earlier with your traits) and if i'm too far away or i miss it, i try for a kill shot(which i've hit for 6.5k today)

Keeping fury up is pretty simple if you use it in the order he mention, im able to keep it up about 95%of the fight if i land my immobilise, the defense on this is great as well, i've won many 1v2 situations, and even a 1v3 today (that may have been lucky) but i'm super tanky  :)

the warhorn is nice for removing conditions as well and for escaping

#28 Android

Android

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Great build man! Gonna go try out a dungeon with it.

Edit: just tried it out and we rocked!

Edited by Android, 23 September 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#29 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Any update or more feedback on this build and how it plays?

#30 Ivarr_Ironfist

Ivarr_Ironfist

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Postjeddahwe, on 25 September 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Any update or more feedback on this build and how it plays?

Build doesn't have enough condition removal or Stability. Furthermore, the Stability is too predictable and the build has no active stun breaks. In other words, if you go up against any defensive condition stacking player (e.g. conditionmancer, leaping troll blossom Thief or flame thrower Engineer) or go up against an experienced CC orientated player, you are screwed.

If you want to be a great point defender, i.e. you want to hold against a single player indefinitely and multiple opponents for a substantial time, this is not the way to go. The build needs to be more defensive (needs banner or shouts), have at least one form of active Stability (i.e. Balanced Stance), should be control orientated to mitigate damage and should have Rampage in. Rampage is generally not a great elite, however, one of the things it is really useful for is point defence.

Edited by Ivarr_Ironfist, 25 September 2012 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users