5 replies to this topic

#1 anatema

anatema

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

hello,

I've been wondering for a while now which race / proffession combinations would be more common / usual based on the guild wars lore.

Humans, being the most common and versatile race, would fit with every profession whereas I have a little trouble seeing asura warriors or sylvari engineers. Is this just me being biased or is there actual lore that confirms or refutes this?

Assuming others are also wondering, which professions do you consider common among the other (not human) races.

My ideas so far.

norn:
very common: warrior, guardian, ranger
rare: necromancer, mesmer, engineer

sylvari:
very common: ranger, elementalist, guardian, warrior
rare: engineer, necromancer

asura:
very common: elementalist, mesmer, necromancer, engineer
rare: warrior, guardian, ranger

charr:
very common: warrior
rare: mesmer

I only listed the profession that where either end of the sprectrum, so everything missing is neither very common nor rare.

So what du you guys think?

Note:
1) I'm aware that the game allows every class / race combination. This question is about what fits (culturally, if you want) better or worse.
2) This is not meant to be about the "best" / most efficient combinations, just about "flavour".

#2 ValentineRosee

ValentineRosee

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I think Mesmer fits in with Sylvari pretty well. Especially with the translucent butterflies that often follow with their skills. :o

#3 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Every race fits every profession, and vice versa. Even in lore. Which professions are likely are dependant on the affiliation of the character - for norn, which spirit; for humans, which god; for sylvari, which cycle; for charr, which legion.

For example, Iron Legion charr are most likely to be engineers, but can still, culturally, be any profession. Mesmer and Thief fit ash, and warrior fits blood.

Also, about sylvari - they are the most accepting of necromancy. So that's at the top. TBH, only engineer is "unlikely" but still fairly common.

Norn who follow Raven are almost always necromancers or mesmers.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#4 anatema

anatema

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

I admit I'm not very versed in gw-lore, that's why I opened the thread to begin with. I just assumed, that norn and sylvari had a more nature-based / organic - philosophy but it looks like I'm mistaken.

Could you link or reference the source of your informations, particularly about the sylvari inclination for necromancy?

#5 Maerek Aderian

Maerek Aderian

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

It was said already, but I strongly agree with Sylvari being the most common race of necromancers. And you hit it on the head too OP, Sylvari are beings of the natural order, and as we know, death is as natural as life. It's a part of it. So yes, Sylvari would be very common necromancers.

Understandingly, some think of necromancy as taboo, I used to in fact. But after reading the 'Sin War' set (Diablo literature, although I don't much care for it generally speaking) necromancy is a part of the balance. Death being another state of life and all that. It makes sense to me now. But that's my two cents, very good post OP. I've thought a lot about what race/class combinations would make the most sense. Also understanding that in terms of game mechanics, I know that all are allowed to do everything.

I also strongly agree with you about Asura being a strange choice for a warrior. Especially in WoW (Yes, I brought up WoW.) I never could wrap my head around a Gnome (and more recently, Goblin) warrior. It makes no sense to see something two feet tall running at you with a greatsword (or toothpick to normal races..) and wearing full plate armor. Strange indeed..how does that little fella even stay standing?!

#6 Urudhum

Urudhum

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postanatema, on 24 August 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

hello,

I've been wondering for a while now which race / proffession combinations would be more common / usual based on the guild wars lore.

Humans, being the most common and versatile race, would fit with every profession whereas I have a little trouble seeing asura warriors or sylvari engineers. Is this just me being biased or is there actual lore that confirms or refutes this?

Assuming others are also wondering, which professions do you consider common among the other (not human) races.

My ideas so far.

norn:
very common: warrior, guardian, ranger
rare: necromancer, mesmer, engineer

sylvari:
very common: ranger, elementalist, guardian, warrior
rare: engineer, necromancer

asura:
very common: elementalist, mesmer, necromancer, engineer
rare: warrior, guardian, ranger

charr:
very common: warrior
rare: mesmer

I only listed the profession that where either end of the sprectrum, so everything missing is neither very common nor rare.

So what du you guys think?

Note:
1) I'm aware that the game allows every class / race combination. This question is about what fits (culturally, if you want) better or worse.
2) This is not meant to be about the "best" / most efficient combinations, just about "flavour".

A couple discrepancies.....

Norn: necromancers are not likely as rare as you think the Heyvoun of Raven is one. Necromancers are attuned to the spirit world which is something the Norns do appreciate. Engineers are also probably more common given the rather utilitarian nature of the profession, something that Norns prize. Mesmers and Thieves are likely the most uncommon, thieves being contrary to Norn concepts of honor and Mesmers are likely viewed with some modest suspicion for their manipulative capacities.

Sylvari:  Necros have already been discussed.

Asura: Rangers may not be prolific, but most races need to hunt, and they need to explore. While thieves probably fill this role most among them, biology and animal husbandry are studies that certainly could attract Asura.

Charr: Elementalists are likely the most hated among them, or at least those wielding fire like the Flame Legion did. Mesmers would certainly be viewed with suspicion and Necros probably as well. Guardians would be the most accepted magic users.

Anywaythat's my take.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users