• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iDGames

iDGames

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Okay, after having read tons of topics in different forums about the ranger and how to play the ranger as a solo build, I might actually be even more confused than I was before. Simple enough reason for me to create a topic, in which I hopefully get plain answers for me - I'm a total newbie.  
Oh and I didn't take part in any of the beta weekends, so please don't blame me for not knowing anything. :angel:

My plan is to play solo, mainly (only?) ranged with a bow, and I want a cute little pet!

I'll just start with a few questions:
- Long bow vs. short bow?
- Is it necessary to have an alternative weapon switch like a sword? Or can I easily play with a bow only?
- I can have two pets, did I understand that correctly? The bear seems to be highly praised, but what should be my second pet?
- Isn't there a simple pre-made build for a total beginner GW2 and ranger player? I mean, I don't want to focus on switching skills and using complex tactics too much, else my head is gonna explode. I need something plain and simple - shoot 'n' run lol :ph34r:  (and enjoy of course!)

That's it. Well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have more questions soon, but let's just stop for now. Please don't be mad at me. I've never played an MMORPG and thus all that's just Greek to me. :wacko:
And thanks in advance!

#2 Paronine

Paronine

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

1. Longbow is better for straight damage, Shortbow for conditions.  Longbow is also better for sniping from range, and it has a much slower attack speed.  Shortbow can be used for mobility, as the auto-attack requires you to flank the enemy in order to be most effective.

2. You can play Longbow/Shortbow, absolutely.  Plan to do that plenty myself.  I recommend using Longbow when you're farther away, then switch to Shortbow when you're closer up.

3. Yes, you can have two pets equipped on you, and you switch back and forth between them.  However, once you've tamed a pet, you can equip it at any time.  Think of them as an extra set of weapons.  Also, you can use any pet and it'll be effective.  You just need to figure out what works for your playstyle and build.  I like flying birds like the raven and hawk, myself.

4. There are a ton of builds out there.  Check out gw2codex.com.  I'd recommend just developing one on your own, though.

Welcome to GW2, and I hope you enjoy the Ranger!

#3 Jaehan

Jaehan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1617 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

• Get into Guild Wars 2, server, create your character, etc. Do the tutorial. Game opens up after that.
  • Here is the first big step: get every weapon you can for the Ranger. Longwbow, Shortbow, Greatsword, Sword, Dagger, Torch, Warhorn, Axe, and off-hand Axe. Unlock them all during the normal course of your gameplay.
    - In doing so, you will get to experience all the various weapon sets and combinations and be able to see which you feel adopt to YOUR play style the most - many went into the Ranger, believing they would never use the melee weapon sets, but came out die-hard melee fans, and vice-versa.
  • If you are going to truly play solo, then the Bear is high up on the list - it can tank enemies exceedingly well while you're free to kill them and/or focus on any mob that may have launched on to you.
    - However, I have seen many Rangers use pure DPS pets and achieve similar results; killing their enemies faster than they can kill the pet.
If you truly want 'simplicty', though:
- Bear Pet
- Another Bear Pet
- Longbow | Axe / Warhorn
- Kill everything.

#4 Dixa

Dixa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

for pve you'll want some easy aoe for tagging so you can get more loot. although i would love longbow/shortbow exclusively, one of them will be axe/horn specifically for tab-bouncing axes during events

#5 iDGames

iDGames

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Alright, thanks guys.

Here's my attempt for a build: http://gw2skills.net...Dah 27FkytuyatA
Traps don't really turn me on. I tried to focus on my pet.

What do you think about this build? Does my pet revive me with "Search and Rescue" when I'm dead?

Edited by iDGames, 24 August 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#6 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1002 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

You cant use search and resque while dead.
However, one of the ranger's downed skills makes your pet revive you.

#7 Angully

Angully

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostTevesh, on 24 August 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

You cant use search and resque while dead.
However, one of the ranger's downed skills makes your pet revive you.

Ranger Pet is win :P

#8 llwydakers

llwydakers

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

The good news, is it will take you a while to get your first utility (skills 7-0), so you will have plenty of time to play with the weapons before choosing your first utility skill.  Personally, I would buy all the lower tier skills, and play with each one, and see what you like.  That's really what this game is about, finding the weapons and skills that make YOU happy.

#9 Clockwork Bard

Clockwork Bard

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SKRT]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Don't worry too much about build right away.  Despite the emphasis on building on these boards, it isn't that big of a deal for most of what you'll be doing over the next several days.  You won't even get trait points until level 11, and won't be selecting a major trait until 20.  In those hours of play, you'll have a much better idea what you want than you do right now.

If you wish to focus exclusively on a bow, it won't really be a problem.  Melee users are the ones who have to concern themselves with having a backup plan.

Not only can you have two pets, I highly recommend doing so at your earliest convenience.  If you're unsure where to find some, find the Asura gate in your race's home city and bounce over to the Norn starting area (even easier if you are already a Norn).  There are tamable juvenile animals at each of the four animal shrines in their starting quest zone, Wayfarer Foothills.  That will quickly set you up with a starting pool of pets with which to experiment without having to hunt them down.

You want to have a second pet ASAP, because swapping pets instantly heals them.  The cooldown is longer if you wait until they die, but either way, it's still way faster than trying to revive the pet the long way.

#10 Zendad

Zendad

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MA]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

I've been a Longbow/Shortbow Ranger with 2 bears (Brown and Black) since BWE2 and you can have great success that way. I do agree though, it is well worth the time and it's fun, to actually try out all the different weapons to see what they offer. Keep in mind something like 1h Axe / War Horn still allows you to play ranged.

ANet has done a really good job at encouraging you to play and learn. Try different trait trees, the cost of resetting your points is just the cost of buying another manual (10 silver for you first 25? trait points). You more than likely will never go wrong (ie make your character unplayable) at worse you are going to end up with a build that doesn't suit your playstyle.

- Long bow vs. short bow?
Longbow gets a bonus from you staying at range, something closes in on you swap to short bow if you really want to only use bows.

- Is it necessary to have an alternative weapon switch like a sword? Or can I easily play with a bow only?
See above, you can absolutely do 2 bows.

- I can have two pets, did I understand that correctly? The bear seems to be highly praised, but what should be my second pet?
Everytime you find a "Juvenile" pet out in the world you can walk up and hit F to tame it. Collect them all! From that set of pets you have you can "equip" 2 at a time and use F4 to swap out between them. Black, Brown, Polar (bears) Murrelow, Arctodus all have the highest Vitality (health) pools and work well as tanks each has a unique F2 ability so not all tanks are the same, if you want to focus less on pet swapping they will have the longest survival in most cases and are amphibious.

- Isn't there a simple pre-made build for a total beginner GW2 and ranger player? I mean, I don't want to focus on switching skills and using complex tactics too much, else my head is gonna explode. I need something plain and simple - shoot 'n' run lol :ph34r:  (and enjoy of course!)

There really is no right or wrong build just pick a primary tree that looks good and put at least 20 points into which gets you access to the Master level skill. If you really like it go a full 30.

#11 Waiting

Waiting

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

You dont have to think about any of it...  Just go into the PVP training area at any time and play with any builds you like.  You never have to worry how you will allocate a point of anything, because you can always preview it all in the pvp area.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solo, pve, beginner, starter, ranger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users