• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lkjhgfdsa006

lkjhgfdsa006

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

I got about 15 FPS no matter the graphics settings.

I tested at the same spot,
all maxed out, texture mid, 1920x1080, 15fps.
all set to lowest, 1024x768, still 15fps......WTF
and my CPU is running only at 50% all the time

My spec:
CPU intel C2Q q8200
GPU nvidia 9800 GT
4 Gb ram
OS Windows XP 32bit
I tried beta driver and legacy drivers, doesn't help.

I can run battlefield 3 at mid setting, noAA and get steady 30fps up.
Must be something wrong aside from hardware too old, please help.

#2 whatsalad

whatsalad

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Also have this problem. i'm running:

Windows 7 32 bit
Intel ® Core™ 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93Ghz (2 CPUS)
4gb RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250 with driver version 304.79

No matter what I run it on the fps is still below 20 fps. the sound is also really lagged, but for some reason when i turn reflections on the sound becomes good again but the fps drops to 3-4.

Anyone with some info?

#3 archer75

archer75

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Game is pretty CPU bound.  That's currently the issue.  But then most MMO's use the CPU more heavily than other games.

#4 theuprising

theuprising

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Same exact problem, the only thing that really makes a difference for me is reflections.

Intel core i7 1.6Ghz
4gb RAM
Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB

20- 30fps at highest AND lowest settings, regardless of resolution. I sent in a support ticket. I'm glad that they did SO MUCH optimization pre launch >.>

#5 Veltoss

Veltoss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, changing graphic settings most likely won't make much of a difference for most computeres. There have been two main problems causing this.

1. Even though it feels like a connection problem, there is some kind of FPS issue that can be fixed perfectly just by restarting your computer, no matter how cliche it sounds.

2. Your computer is not being maintained very well and is having trouble running the game. Defrag, run CCleaner, etc.

If #2 was the problem or your computer just isn't quite up to par for the game, try running GameBooster by IOBit. IOBit has a ton of great software, but GameBooster is the one that will help you a ton in this case.

#6 theuprising

theuprising

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostVeltoss, on 25 August 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Yeah, changing graphic settings most likely won't make much of a difference for most computeres. There have been two main problems causing this.

1. Even though it feels like a connection problem, there is some kind of FPS issue that can be fixed perfectly just by restarting your computer, no matter how cliche it sounds.

2. Your computer is not being maintained very well and is having trouble running the game. Defrag, run CCleaner, etc.

If #2 was the problem or your computer just isn't quite up to par for the game, try running GameBooster by IOBit. IOBit has a ton of great software, but GameBooster is the one that will help you a ton in this case.
No I'm pretty sure its Anet's fault for not optimizing the game before launch. I run all my other games fine, and lowering the settings generally has a huge impact on performance...

Edited by theuprising, 26 August 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#7 whatsalad

whatsalad

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

View Posttheuprising, on 26 August 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

No I'm pretty sure its Anet's fault for not optimizing the game before launch. I run all my other games fine, and lowering the settings generally has a huge impact on performance...

Agreed. my C drive is 0% fragmented since always (i regularly defragment) and i did disk cleanup and downloaded gamebooster and nothing seemed to change. I also restarted my computer a couple of time and no change.
I think its best to wait for the new driver update to come out hopefully tomorrow :(

#8 CBuZz

CBuZz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

View Postlkjhgfdsa006, on 25 August 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

I got about 15 FPS no matter the graphics settings.

I tested at the same spot,
all maxed out, texture mid, 1920x1080, 15fps.
all set to lowest, 1024x768, still 15fps......WTF
and my CPU is running only at 50% all the time

My spec:
CPU intel C2Q q8200
GPU nvidia 9800 GT
4 Gb ram
OS Windows XP 32bit
I tried beta driver and legacy drivers, doesn't help.

I can run battlefield 3 at mid setting, noAA and get steady 30fps up.
Must be something wrong aside from hardware too old, please help.

Your hardware is old & your current fps are pretty much spot on. I've got 4 systems here, one of which is a Q6600/8800GTS G92 512mb & get similar fps.

#9 Veltoss

Veltoss

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

View Posttheuprising, on 26 August 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

Except this game's performance is primarily CPU based and graphics settings really aren't making much difference for most people besides shadows/reflections. You're essentially saying you are blaming it entirely on Anet rather than seeing if anything I or others have said would work for OP and others simply because other games that have been out longer and had enough time to be fully optimized (compared to GW2 which >just< released it's early access) have worked just fine on your computer. That has very little logic in it, and makes me think you'd rather just blame someone else than actually have the problem fixed.

#10 Taevious

Taevious

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostVeltoss, on 26 August 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

Except this game's performance is primarily CPU based and graphics settings really aren't making much difference for most people besides shadows/reflections. You're essentially saying you are blaming it entirely on Anet rather than seeing if anything I or others have said would work for OP and others simply because other games that have been out longer and had enough time to be fully optimized (compared to GW2 which >just< released it's early access) have worked just fine on your computer. That has very little logic in it, and makes me think you'd rather just blame someone else than actually have the problem fixed.

There in lies the problem. The graphic settings -should- be making more of a difference for most people. The logic is quite simple and staring you in the face if you care enough to see it. Your advice will work for some, there's no question about that. Also equally definite is that many of us are having low fps despite having boss systems because the game is awaiting very much needed optimization.

#11 caliptic

caliptic

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

this is exactly the same issue for me:

Had amazing FPS before launch and every BETA leading up to release. My computer should be running this game better than it currently is, i know because it was. I am getting the issue that no matter the settings tryed both lowest res with lowest settings and highest res with highest settings and i get a 4 - 6 FPS difference.

I am constantly stuck at an idle 15fps.

5850 - sapphire extreme
i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
8 GB ram

Brand new build and PC is pretty much super clean.

Anyone had any luck with this? Whats annoying was it ran excellent before launch but terrible after.

#12 shawnsix66

shawnsix66

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

I am having the exact same issue with the Max of 15 FPS issue and I think my Machine is more then Capable to run this game sicne I can run BF3 on Ultra on 3 monitors.  I know these are 2 different Game Engines.  I understand how Games are made.  But changing the Video Settings and Resolution from highest to lowest and not seeing any Change at all makes no other sense then its something on ANets side.

These specs are all on a 3 week old rebuild on this system also.

CPU:  I7 2600K 3.4ghz (OCed to 4.4ghz)
Memory:  16Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card:  Single ATI HD7970 3Gb
System Drive:  SSD Vertex 3 120gig
Drive the Games installed on:  SSD Extreme SanDisk 240gig
Plus a 1TB HHD 7200rpm for other Data.

I absolutely love the game but this FPS issue is unbelievabley annoying.  I have still been playing the game dispite the lag.  But it is getting very frustrating and I understand this is only the prerelease.  But tomorrow is the big day and I have a feeling many many people will be put out becuase of this issue as well.

I have put a Ticket in with ANet but have not heard back yet.  I will keep everyone posted on what I find out.  I just wanted to post up to show you that it is not only the low end machines that are having this issue.

#13 Syntak

Syntak

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

'game runs fine for 99% of population, doesnt run well for me' ---> extreme logic brainstorm ----> anets fault, they didnt optimize enough

#14 Arkanovi

Arkanovi

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postcaliptic, on 26 August 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

this is exactly the same issue for me:

Had amazing FPS before launch and every BETA leading up to release. My computer should be running this game better than it currently is, i know because it was. I am getting the issue that no matter the settings tryed both lowest res with lowest settings and highest res with highest settings and i get a 4 - 6 FPS difference.

I am constantly stuck at an idle 15fps.

5850 - sapphire extreme
i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
8 GB ram

Brand new build and PC is pretty much super clean.

Anyone had any luck with this? Whats annoying was it ran excellent before launch but terrible after.

I have same build except a 6870 instead of 5850, I get about 20-50 on average but in cities it goes down to 15-20 @ 1600x900. No difference between high and low either, even at lowest resolution.

Really hope this gets improved soon through drivers or Im getting a refund tbh, the camera is far too annoying to control with such low frames

#15 andybrads45

andybrads45

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Just to echo, I'm having the same issue with very low FPS - screenshot here:
http://tinypic.com/v...pic=25svss6&s=6

The really annoying thing for me is I was running my setup with a HD 6850 and it was running around 30 FPS, around 20 in huge battles. I've just upgraded to a new HD 7850 which, as I can see from many users, should run floorless at high settings.

The screenshot is on the lowest settings, with everything turned off - when I do any action, the FPS drops to 10 - 12 FPS. I'm running Catalyst 12.8 (the latest one) so I shouldn't have any issues there.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, as you'll see from my screenshot my CPU hovers between 50% to 60% consistently, so it can't be throttling my card. And my card is more than compatible, but why is the GPU load maxing out? Strange and infuriating.

Here's my setup, not the best I know but it should be able to run the game on lowest settings. I was running on medium settings, same setup, on the HD 6850:

- AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core @ 2.50GHz
- 4GB RAM
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition

This must surely be a driver issue or an A-Net issue?

Edited by andybrads45, 27 August 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#16 Vassago

Vassago

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostSyntak, on 27 August 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

game runs fine for me (Me + number_totally_not_pulled_from_my_ass = 99% of population) ----> extreme logic brainstorm ----> 'DURRH GET BETTAR COMPUTAR SCRUB' ----> failing to realise that alot of computers that far surpass the R-E-C-O-M-M-E-N-D-E-D REQUIREMENTS ARE GETTING FRAMES AS LOW AS 10 IN CROWDED AREAS ON ALL LOW.

I fixed that for you buddy, you are welcome.

#17 caliptic

caliptic

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

View Postandybrads45, on 27 August 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Just to echo, I'm having the same issue with very low FPS - screenshot here:
http://tinypic.com/v...pic=25svss6&s=6

The really annoying thing for me is I was running my setup with a HD 6850 and it was running around 30 FPS, around 20 in huge battles. I've just upgraded to a new HD 7850 which, as I can see from many users, should run floorless at high settings.

The screenshot is on the lowest settings, with everything turned off - when I do any action, the FPS drops to 10 - 12 FPS. I'm running Catalyst 12.8 (the latest one) so I shouldn't have any issues there.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, as you'll see from my screenshot my CPU hovers between 50% to 60% consistently, so it can't be throttling my card. And my card is more than compatible, but why is the GPU load maxing out? Strange and infuriating.

Here's my setup, not the best I know but it should be able to run the game on lowest settings. I was running on medium settings, same setup, on the HD 6850:

- AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core @ 2.50GHz
- 4GB RAM
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition

This must surely be a driver issue or an A-Net issue?

I did roll my drivers back to 12.7 and it managed to get out of the 15 fps (no matter of settings) But i still never go above 25 - 30 FPS now even on the lowest settings and resolution. That is after turning all my option down on CCC as well.

Atm i think its just a case of drivers.  So we just have to wait.

#18 Hiddengecko

Hiddengecko

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Same problem here.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE at 3.1
GeForce 9800 GTX+
4GB DDR3 RAM.

No fragmentation, drivers up to date. Changing graphics settings has no effect on framerate, and my CPU's not running at full power. Besides that, I can run games like Crysis, Crysis 2, Skyrim, and so on without any real issue - yet in Guild Wars 2, I get around 10-15 fps in cities and populated areas.

My rig may not be cutting edge, but it's sure as hell not obsolete - my father's flimsy-arse laptop gets better performance with a 1.5-clocked quadcore.

#19 Shew

Shew

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1094 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Maybe this isn't the issue for you, but your internet connection makes loads of a difference, apparently. Back at home, I was running the game on low-low-etc. and had moderate FPS issues. Now that I'm on my apartment's connection, I can run the game on max with minor FPS issues.

Edited by Shew, 27 August 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#20 caliptic

caliptic

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ok thats weird i logged in and im at 100 FPS.!!!!

If i could tell you what i done to change it i would but i have no idea. It just has worked.

#21 Hiddengecko

Hiddengecko

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostShew, on 27 August 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Maybe this isn't the issue for you, but your internet connection makes loads of a difference, apparently. Back at home, I was running the game on low-low-etc. and had moderate FPS issues. Now that I'm on my apartment's connection, I can run the game on max with minor FPS issues.

Internet latency doesn't affect frames per second.

#22 shawnsix66

shawnsix66

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

Well and update on my progress through this issue.

ANet replied back with them asking me to run both a Speccy Snapshot and to run their Game Advisor program to further assist them.  I had already sent the same info that Speccy sends via another Text file to them but ok, I understand.

The funny thing is there prewritten reply states to choose the Guild Wars 2 option in Game Advisor and run it.  The issue with that is there is no Guild Wars 2 option and the program claims it is the most up to date version.

So back to sqaure one and hoping to hear more tomorrow.  I did see there was a small update to the game and no changes in my performance what so ever.

I will still keep everyone updated in my progress and Good Luck to everyone else out there with this issue.  I truly enjoy the game and hope everyone sticks with ANet to get this issue fixed.

#23 Velicia

Velicia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BoD]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

I had this problem too.

Found out my cause was my CPU being maxed (hence no change in FPS when graphics or resolution is changed).

Try and figure out why your CPU is taking the brunt, in most cases its the CPU being overloaded, but people with i5/7 that shouldn't be the case.

I have an i5 760 Quad and it was at 90%+ most of the time playing GW2 in the tests, while my graphics card (ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 480) was running at about 15% load.

Turns out my CPU is being fried, idle process temperature is 55*C while under pressure it jumps to insane temperatures of 95*C.

On A side note I did notice that on release GW2 client uses less CPU so they have optimized more it seems.

#24 TheSyde

TheSyde

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

I had the same issue... Until on the 27th after a patch, performance took a massive turn. increased very substantially, the game ran good. Then, on the 28 they broke it again with another patch... Go figure.

edit: Yup, broken for me... there seems to be a problem with heavy geometry (ie:towns) when there are overlapping walls or a lot of pieces of geomtry that are in front of each other, the frames go waaaay down.

This was apparently fixed (maybe accidentally?) two/three patches ago, and now it's worse again. Is there any bug reporting function somewhere?

View PostVelicia, on 28 August 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I had this problem too.

Found out my cause was my CPU being maxed (hence no change in FPS when graphics or resolution is changed).

Try and figure out why your CPU is taking the brunt, in most cases its the CPU being overloaded, but people with i5/7 that shouldn't be the case.

I have an i5 760 Quad and it was at 90%+ most of the time playing GW2 in the tests, while my graphics card (ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 480) was running at about 15% load.

Turns out my CPU is being fried, idle process temperature is 55*C while under pressure it jumps to insane temperatures of 95*C.

On A side note I did notice that on release GW2 client uses less CPU so they have optimized more it seems.

Mate, you could fry an egg on top of that! Not familiar with i5 temps, but take care! there's probably some performance degradation at those temperature, and you risk burning the chip entirely.

Also, remember that when one pc component dies, it sometimes has the habit of taking other components with it (RAM, for example, is usually affected), so yeah... stick some paste and a decent cooler, some case fans, and most of all make sure the case has space for intake and outtake (don't cram the pc against a wall or in those desk slots from hell). And clean the dust, that's implied.

Usually stock coolers are more than enough for stock cpus, so you probably have an issue with the things above.

Edited by TheSyde, 28 August 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#25 Velicia

Velicia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostTheSyde, on 28 August 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

Mate, you could fry an egg on top of that! Not familiar with i5 temps, but take care! there's probably some performance degradation at those temperature, and you risk burning the chip entirely.

Also, remember that when one pc component dies, it sometimes has the habit of taking other components with it (RAM, for example, is usually affected), so yeah... stick some paste and a decent cooler, some case fans, and most of all make sure the case has space for intake and outtake (don't cram the pc against a wall or in those desk slots from hell). And clean the dust, that's implied.

Usually stock coolers are more than enough for stock cpus, so you probably have an issue with the things above.

Yup its pretty hefty, I've dug my old PC out in the hope GW2 will play on that while I sort my new one out. (Have no net connection at home at the moment.. annoyingly.. but at least its given me time to sort this issue out before playing).
I think its been happening for a while and am pretty sure there is a performance decrease already.

Had a good clean around the case, CPU, heat sink of dust and such, I have an Arctic Cooler after market heat sink/fan and after cleaning all that up it made a difference (65 down to 55), but its still worryingly high.
The case has mesh on both side panels with an additional 4 case fans sucking air in and pushing it out.

I'm thinking that if it has been happening for a few months then the heat paste is going to be next to useless and dried out, so I'm hoping that a good clean of the heat paste and application of new paste will pull the temp back down to 35~. After that I'm all out of idea's (done the necessary software clean up, registry clan, defrag etc)  as my heat sink and fan should be able to keep the temperature about 40*c at 2k rpm.

After all that if the temp is still high I'm thinking a new chip might be in the pipe line :s

Edited by Velicia, 28 August 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#26 Killhoven

Killhoven

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Your problem is that your video card does not switch to power mode from power saving mode when application is launced. Check GPUZ, it should show your PCI-E is working on x1 when PC is without laod, for example: pci-e 3.0 x16 @ x1 1.1

Now if you launch a game or use "?" in GPUZ, your graphic acceleration should switch to x16 mode, in our sample: pci-e 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1 If it doesant, you face a huge performance issue.

It is related to PC BIOS. In my case, the solution was easy - I just changed CPU frequenzy +1 in BIOS and the problem was solved. FPS in GW2 changed from ~15 to 80 (7850). If this is not the case for you, please check http://www.techarp.c....aspx?artno=522

#27 KleoNL

KleoNL

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Likewise game shifts between 10 and 20 FPS no matter the settings.

Sidenote i recently switched out both my radeon 5770hd 1gb ddr5 cards for the 7850 2gb ones
and the 5770 ran the game in max settings even with crossfire turned off [1080p + 3d]
Nope not a driver issue ^_^ PC is noticebly faster with evrything i can test it with but GW2 drops the ball somehow.

Intel i7 3.0ghrz
2x Radeon 7850 hd 2gb ddr5 [crossfire]
8gb ddr3 Ram
Windows 7 64bit

[Edit : running the game in Window Full Screen through in game options pushes fps up for those of you who would like the game to be playable atleast till its fixed]

Edited by KleoNL, 24 November 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#28 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I had this issue too, until i discovered that a program was throttling my cpu. I was getting 15-20fps in LA and <15 in big events. Then, i found out that HP Coolsense was the reason, as it was set to coolest mode(aka throttling heaven).
So what i did was, i set it to performance optimized and i get way more fps and no slow downs now. LA has 25-40 fps and i gain 10 fps in jormag(was 5, now 15).

#29 Velicia

Velicia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostVelicia, on 28 August 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Yup its pretty hefty, I've dug my old PC out in the hope GW2 will play on that while I sort my new one out. (Have no net connection at home at the moment.. annoyingly.. but at least its given me time to sort this issue out before playing).
I think its been happening for a while and am pretty sure there is a performance decrease already.

Had a good clean around the case, CPU, heat sink of dust and such, I have an Arctic Cooler after market heat sink/fan and after cleaning all that up it made a difference (65 down to 55), but its still worryingly high.
The case has mesh on both side panels with an additional 4 case fans sucking air in and pushing it out.

I'm thinking that if it has been happening for a few months then the heat paste is going to be next to useless and dried out, so I'm hoping that a good clean of the heat paste and application of new paste will pull the temp back down to 35~. After that I'm all out of idea's (done the necessary software clean up, registry clan, defrag etc)  as my heat sink and fan should be able to keep the temperature about 40*c at 2k rpm.

After all that if the temp is still high I'm thinking a new chip might be in the pipe line :s

Just an update form me (yes its a bit late).

Turns out one of the retention arms on my heat sink was broken, so the connection on the CPU was crap. Bought myself a Corsair H60, haven't seen my temp raise above 35*C with full settings on GW2 now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users