Hurrhurrderpityderrr

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Guild Tag:[UMAD]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostSkolops, on 27 August 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Uhhh, not sure if you're trying to troll here or not, but of course Charlotte Bobcats is a reference to a trademarked name, so you would absolutely not be safe.

That being said, this also raises the question of what kinds of people are spending part of their headstart taking the time to report folks with names like "Scary Man," "Scary Clown," and other relatively un-extraordinary names.

I heard that the reports aren't currently being checked through by anyone from ANet and whether you get banned or not is determined by the game. 3 reports = 3 day ban as far as I know. So anything goes atm. The report system is being abused all the way to oblivion, even if the players don't know they're 'abusing' it

What I mean is you'll be automatically booted out of the game for 3 days if the game detects you've been reported 3 times atm. It probably won't stay that way though.

Edited by Hurrhurrderpityderrr, 27 August 2012 - 04:58 AM.

#602 tcbys

tcbys

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostKraag_Deadsoul, on 27 August 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

I'm not dodging the question.  You're using a question that has no bearing on this discussion in an attempt to set up a Straw Man argument.

The chat filter is irrelevant.  Chat filter, no chat filter, chat filter on, chat filter off, chat filter set to medium; doesn't matter.  The Rules of Conduct are clear:

"We’ve created our Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct (the “Rules of Conduct”) to make sure that Guild Wars 2 is a safe, fun game environment for all players. The Rules of Conduct contain restrictions on bad language and in-game behavior, and on inappropriate names that may be rude, crude, or socially unacceptable. They contain protections for you, so your privacy is maintained, and for us, as developer and publisher of Guild Wars 2 , so that the integrity of the game is preserved.

The Rules cover such basic expectations as:

• Don’t swear or spam or break any laws."

The rule isn't:

"You may swear so long as everyone else turns their chat filter on."

The rule is:

"Don’t swear..."

Since that is the rule I don't have to concern myself with the state of the chat filter or why ArenaNet decided to include one in the game.  Ask them if you want to know the answer.  Meanwhile, the Rules of Conduct are clear; "Don’t swear...".

Now it's your turn.  Why is it that you feel you have the right to ignore the Rules of Conduct?

In other words, the system is working exactly as intended. :D

You ARE dodging the question.

Tell me all about the THREE LEVELs of Chat filter. Im going to keep up till you stop dodging the damn question.

#603 clbembry

clbembry

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

If there is a "Don't swear rule" then why is there even a chat filter? That's like selling guns but making bullets illegal. Kind of.

#604 Hurrhurrderpityderrr

Hurrhurrderpityderrr

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

View Postclbembry, on 27 August 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

If there is a "Don't swear rule" then why is there even a chat filter? That's like selling guns but making bullets illegal. Kind of.

You can turn the chat filter off too which makes that rule even more stupid.

#605 Lonelyturtle

Lonelyturtle

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

View PostMizzory, on 27 August 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

The problem for me are the names.

I've used variations of the name in every MMO i've played... that's about 3 mmos excluding GW2. I've not had a problem with getting in trouble ONCE in my MMO history. Not even a single warning.

I hold my tongue, I play fair and I used only a set amount of names that I've been using since day 1 of my MMO playing.

If I get banned specificly for my name, I'm done with arenanet.

But to be fair, I've not seen a single shred of solid evidence that people are getting ban for those names. Just a screenshot of an email that could have been taken afterward.

But I'm not accusing him of anything. Just that their is no evidence.

ANet doesn't actually tell you why you were banned, or for how long. No emails or messages of any kind, other than informing you that you cannot currently play.

#606 OleManWinter

OleManWinter

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

Crap like this makes me look forward to the day when I get old enough I lose interest in games and become technologically ancient.  I'm so tired of ignoring stuff like this because I want to play a game.....that at it's core is nothing more than a time vacuum.

What could I have accomplished in hours that were dedicated to GW1 over the last 5+years?   I'm sure I'll still play GW2 since i bought it, but I REALLY WISH I WASN'T SUPPORTING THIS COMPANY.  I hope I don't buy GW3.

#607 Hurrhurrderpityderrr

Hurrhurrderpityderrr

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hey, you know, something isn't right with the MMO itself if it hasn't even been out for a few days and there are already tons of people complaining they are banned for 3 days. I paid like 60 bucks to ANet now they treat me like poop

#608 Mirantha

Mirantha

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

View PostThalador, on 26 August 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

My account got blocked because of a sick, pervert *...

You see, I picked the wrong fight and got defeated. I saw a player called Sillybeans running nearby, and I thought "hey, I'm sure he'll revive me." Not... the disgusting filth sat down on my dead, female character's face. I was so infuriated and dumbfounded I didn't know what to say. Seconds later he actually started reviving me, but at 90% of the bar he suddenly sprang up and left me for dead.

Now that's when I lost it. "You c***s*****g a*****e, I hope you will rot in hell or wherever your ugly face turns up after your untimely death." Yeah, I cursed, I lashed out at the "person" I admit... (got reported by a "man of justice," who of course knew nothing of the precedent). But someone who abused others via the game's animations can go unpunished, but the freaking, humiliated victim will be punished just because he/she lost it for a moment!? Where is justice in that?

I sent an appeal to Support but no reply as of yet. I don't know how long I'll be blocked, but this is outrageous beyond words. I was merely playing and enjoying the game, then I got abused all of a sudden and because I couldn't control my rightful fury, I get blocked... What's wrong with the world? Everything...

And to be honest, why do they have a filter system if they are going to ban me anyway for filtered cursing? Especially rightful filtered swearing.

Instead of spewing your vile where all could see it, maybe you should have instead reported the player for HIS actions by sending in a ticket to get HIM banned instead.  You're now paying for YOUR actions, not those of anyone else.

#609 Zoidbort

Zoidbort

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

View PostiBigBenis, on 27 August 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

so i just got suspended for having the name Bigbenis. lol?

Benis was my old dog's nickname actually..nothing to do with penis...unreal that I could get banned for that!

#610 gurunade

gurunade

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

People named milf are banned?

So I can technically be banned for using the abbreviation wtf in game?

This is lunacy...

#611 Zoidbort

Zoidbort

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

I was banned yesterday morning while creating my damn character!
I was doing the facial features bit and all of a sudden I was bumped back to the character selection screen, which was empty.
I could not click on anything and then I got an error 58xxxxx which is not a ban error.
So I turned it off and went and working on my house all day.
Came in and sat down and 8pm to play with the wife and boom...account blocked to to inappropriate behaviour!?

I have waited 28 hours for a reply to my ticket and nothing but those who are getting a reply finally are getting a copy and pasted email showing the TOS and a link to the offence rules etc.

I paid $60 for this sight unseen to try out as I played the 1st one from the beginning.
I never am an early adopter but the last game was good to me so I did it.
Well big mistake as it seems they are banning people due to t a glitch they are not willing to admit, their rules are seriously overly strict, they have their CSR's overseas and they are not noting accounts for their offences so they have no idea, or they are doing it for population control on the servers to lighten the load.

Loads of people continuously coming in on their FB page with the same issue and RB2 just ignores it all but answers people with guild and overflow issues...unreal.

I will be charging back my CC here tomorrow if they do not reply and give me a LEGIT reason WHY I was blocked while making my character!

P.S. WHY have an in-game profanity filter than can be turned on or off if swearing is against the TOS!?
It is either for do gooders to report people or total entrapment.
If swearing is against the TOS offer no option for it and just use ***** for swears!
Or even better use auto correct fails to replace swears so everyone can have a good laugh!
Duck you etc

Edited by Zoidbort, 27 August 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#612 Lady Rhonwyn

Lady Rhonwyn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWO]

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

I only see one problem with this.  Languages.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said somebody had used name "X" (don't exactly remember what X was).  I was like: so, who cares?  But apparently that X was some slang word for the male reproductive organ.

The problem is, I could pick a name, that I might find sound good, but is a "dirty" word in American English.  I'm no native English speaker, so how would I know all the slang words???

#613 Zoidbort

Zoidbort

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

I did not even use in game chat so how in the hell was I banned!?
A person got banned for using the name Scary Clown.
See the rules state if a name is offensive you can be blocked so with those rules so loose you essentially can be called Bob Log and someone will be having a bad day and report you.
ANET seems to not even look or consider the issue, instead they just ban because there is no monthly fee they will lose doing so.
They have your $60+ already.

Issue is...if this keeps happening it could lead to a lawsuit really, enough people sign it and are presenting being blocked from an item they paid $$ for and are not being given a reason as to why is good enough grounds to me.

Edited by Zoidbort, 27 August 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#614 ZaxTheArgonian

ZaxTheArgonian

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

I haven't started yet, I start tomorrow but I'm already concerned about what name to pick. I'm too excited to play, I can't afford a forced break for a reason like this. I have a list of about 30 names as I'm aware many of them will be already taken in the headstart, but with these incidents I'm not sure what is acceptable, especially seeing this paragraph:

Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.
A whole lot of names can fall into this one. Is Tom Jones acceptable? Robbie Williams? Rolling Stone? Gossip Girl? Madonna? Is Oasis considered a trademark? Maybe it is in music, but it also is a common noun.

#615 Zoidbort

Zoidbort

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostHurrhurrderpityderrr, on 27 August 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

I heard that the reports aren't currently being checked through by anyone from ANet and whether you get banned or not is determined by the game. 3 reports = 3 day ban as far as I know. So anything goes atm. The report system is being abused all the way to oblivion, even if the players don't know they're 'abusing' it

What I mean is you'll be automatically booted out of the game for 3 days if the game detects you've been reported 3 times atm. It probably won't stay that way though.

WOW....I believe it!
This is why they cannot provide a legitimate reason to most for why they were banned because it is automated, as I suspected.
RB2 on GW2's FB page said they all are checked by real people but they are so inundated with issues I call BS on that.

FYI I just posted that on their FB page...wait n see

Edited by unraveled, 27 August 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#616 Soylent

Soylent

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

It feels like unless this "problem" gets an article on Kotaku or the likes nothing will change. Banning for harassing and being insulting towards others is all fair, but getting a 72h ban and a record on file for a name "Scary Clown" is just ridiculous.

#617 Phys

Phys

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1739 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostBobobejumbo, on 26 August 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

So sad for someone who claims to have been impacted by that dreadful day to make light of such a situation. Oh well, I expect nothing less from someone who can't even use an appropriate name and gets themselves banned. No where has it been stated that the games content design is held to the same set of rules the playerbase agreed to abide by when they clicked "I Agree" before even being able to play. You were given a set of rules to follow, and you ignored them. You deserve what you got, enjoy your headstart.

I never made a name that got banned, im speaking about freedom and individualism. And im not making light of 9/11, but im not going to cower everytime some one says a word, or ask corporations to protect me from words. To try to ban a word from american consciousness, because it makes survivors feel bad is weak. Remember those that have lost, honor them, dont turn away in fear, and try to forget any word that reminds you of what happened. Deal with the real effects, prevent reoccurences, getting upset because people say words is a waste of time.

Anyhow, you can have your opinion, but dont force it on others. Thats my problem with this whole thing, many people are forcing their opinions on others, telling people they should not exist if they dont agree with their way of life. If a person wants to play a game as a racy charachter, why not. If a person makes some knock off of pop culture, as long as it doesnt violate copyright LAW, go ahead. I believe people should have freedom.

#618 Xiondar

Xiondar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostHaishao, on 26 August 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

People were chatting earlier in game about reporting every "anime name" they see.
And they can since it easily fall under copyrighted or trademarked character, material, or product even if they are just names.
And since they are normal name, they could also be historical figure or have religious meaning.

Remember that everywhere that is not Europe play on NA servers. People will have name that may mean something for you but something completely different in their language.

Lol, having a "misunderstanding" is really a loose justification for "Durka Terrorist". I haven't seen anyone get banned unless they made a name that WAS offensive in pretty much every region.

As for the anime names... sure, I find it very lacking of both creativity and taste to choose a characters name, but I haven't seen anyone right out punished for the name. Reporting doesn't equal an immediate penalty, but yes... if it is under copyright... it shouldn't be allowed.

View PostPhys, on 27 August 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

I never made a name that got banned, im speaking about freedom and individualism. And im not making light of 9/11, but im not going to cower everytime some one says a word, or ask corporations to protect me from words. To try to ban a word from american consciousness, because it makes survivors feel bad is weak. Remember those that have lost, honor them, dont turn away in fear, and try to forget any word that reminds you of what happened. Deal with the real effects, prevent reoccurences, getting upset because people say words is a waste of time.

Anyhow, you can have your opinion, but dont force it on others. Thats my problem with this whole thing, many people are forcing their opinions on others, telling people they should not exist if they dont agree with their way of life. If a person wants to play a game as a racy charachter, why not. If a person makes some knock off of pop culture, as long as it doesnt violate copyright LAW, go ahead. I believe people should have freedom.

When you play with a community, it also reasonable to ask someone to take responsibility for their actions (Even if it is only a name.). Go play a single player game; which allows you to name your file or character anything you want if that's how you want to go. Things are offensive and as much as I would like the world to just smoke a little bit, get along, and all that... it isn't, so we have to watch our words especially in a community.

#619 Knightalpha

Knightalpha

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

-Reference religious or historical figures.
-Reference real-life people.

Would this mean that having names such as
Claeuw or Rembrandt (Dutch names), but also the surname of Dutch artists you could be banned?
Even if you only use the surname and not the full name?

Jacques de Claeuw and Rembrandt van Rijn being their full names.

At the rate almost all Latin names could be banned too since a vast majority of them such as Flavius or Juvenal could be seen as  or " real life people" "historical figures". Not to mention a vast majority of plain names such as Charles, Willem etc as well.

Edited by Knightalpha, 27 August 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#620 K0tY

K0tY

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DiL]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostKnightalpha, on 27 August 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Claeuw or Rembrandt (Dutch names), but also the surname of Dutch artists you could be banned?

At the rate almost all Latin names would be banned too since a vast majority of them such as Flavius or Juvenal would of been "historical figures" as well.

Yes, but i do believe it is more forced to use on players with real life names and celebrities and stuff, more likely, things that can offend you, etc, someone having your real life name, or someone having a famous artist name musician and so.

Edited by K0tY, 27 August 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#621 Yumiya

Yumiya

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostKnightalpha, on 27 August 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

At the rate almost all Latin names could be banned too since a vast majority of them such as Flavius or Juvenal could be seen as  or " real life people" "historical figures". Not to mention a vast majority of plain names such as Charles, Willem etc as well.
What I think, and what I think is not a fact, is that it's more or less implemented so people refrain from making characters like Adolf Hitler or Anders Breivik. Rembrandt van Rijn was a wonderful painter, and though he, too is a historical figure, I'm not sure if Arenanet is going to get all worked up about it, especially about people just choosing the last name only. They'd end up hiring a history professor and before they taught him how videogames and banhammers work it's 2015. If you want to play it safe, you can always pick a different first name if you're determined on the surname.

It's just what I think, though.

Edited by Yumiya, 27 August 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#622 Knightalpha

Knightalpha

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostK0tY, on 27 August 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

Yes, but i do believe it is moer forced to use on players with real life names and celebrities and stuff, more likely, things that can offend you, etc, someone having your real life name, or someone having a favmous artist name musician and so.

Should I just email Arenanet about it asking if they could change my name, although would that result in a ban to?
Problem is my account name could be seen as a historical reference and I don't think you can change that either. ;/

#623 K0tY

K0tY

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DiL]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostKnightalpha, on 27 August 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Should I just email Arenanet about it asking if they could change my name, although would that result in a ban to?
Problem is my account name could be seen as a historical reference and I don't think you can change that either. ;/

Account name is ok, but ingame character name is not, if you feel it would offend, write to support with your suspicion, and some evidence asking for a name change, they may have give it to you for free, but i dont think it will be soon, as they are topped with work nowadays.

#624 Vexx

Vexx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostLaibeus Lord, on 27 August 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

I wouldn't say they "purposely chosen" such names.  Like "Milf".  There are people who were named "Milf".  It is only you people in the US and EU who have such a bad meaning to "Milf", a sexual meaning to it.  When you see it "Milf" you think about that.

It isn't the case in the rest of the world.  For example, when someone shared a newspaper headline about MILF in the Philippines, everybody who have been exposed to the Western Culture laughed and everything because they're thinking of the Western-only sexual meaning of MILF.  But here in our country MILF means Moro Islamic Liberation Front.

Given that, there are still people who were given "Milf" as their name.  Why?  Because we do not assume, we do not think, we do not give meanings to names.  When we encounter someone, for example, named "Milf", we don't assume/think/give a meaning of "Moro Islamic Liberation Front".  It is just "Milf", period.

So saying that they "purposely" and "intentionally" chose such names is completely wrong and pure assumption.  I knew 2 people in my high school years named "Milf".

The name being preceded by the word "lonely" makes it quite obvious what the intention was, and furthermore it's still stated in the rules that a name like that will get you a ban. Regardless of your own opinion on whether or not that's a justified response, nobody can complain if they still made a character with that name because they didn't find it offensive despite knowing that it was against the rules and still got a ban.

#625 Lady Rhonwyn

Lady Rhonwyn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWO]

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostVexx, on 27 August 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

The name being preceded by the word "lonely" makes it quite obvious what the intention was, and furthermore it's still stated in the rules that a name like that will get you a ban.

I had absolutely no idea.  And I'm from the EU, so I should have known what it was?  I still have no idea what it means, though, from the tone of the posts, I presume it's not a word you'd use in prudish company...

#626 Shaoff

Shaoff

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Well, I for one will happily report any and every "bad" name I see. Not because I am mad, or offended, or any of that, but simply just for the laughs.

#627 Lumm

Lumm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

I love these threads: With very few exceptions all the names mentioned in it that resulted in a 72 hour ban are obviously problematic. The fact that people play the greek sophist card with multiple posts to try to twist it just adds some suger on top.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It is a duck.

Bigbenis was good though. But once again it it bloody obvious why it resulted in a 72 hour ban ;)

GW2 has a strict name policy. Personally I am happy with that. Just accept it or play another game.

#628 Shinimas

Shinimas

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostKnightalpha, on 27 August 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

History isn't copyrighted. Yet.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It is a duck.

I wonder. So are why Wall Street bankers aren't in prison yet?

I hope this zero tolerance policy will bite A-net in the ass.

Edited by Shinimas, 27 August 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#629 Falling Ash

Falling Ash

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I guess I should delete my necromancer "Horcrux" because it's part of a popular trademarked series?

#630 Lumm

Lumm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostShinimas, on 27 August 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

I wonder. So are why Wall Street bankers aren't in prison yet?

I hope this zero tolerance policy will bite A-net in the ass.

For the first question it is a very good one even though it has nothing to do with this thread.

As to the second one I actually think it will be good for the community to not have WTFfaceroll, Bifbenis, Milf Supreme, Bigoak Vagina and Turkish Terrorist.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gw2;, account block;, anet;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users