I am at work right now, and so decided to post my love letter to a weapon that is significantly better than I thought. I am not sure if they improved it, but during pvp this weapon has easily become my favorite weapon. So I figured to write the reasons I enjoy the scepter.
1. Orb of Wrath is slow, but hits like a truck. I know that many of you hate it’s slow 1200 jaunt, and that you could conceivably out run it’s attack to your target, but here is the part I love. You can cast multiple orbs while strafing or approaching your target. I once had 5 out as I ran towards a warrior who was running to me, by the time we arrived at each other I had 5 orbs out, and he was hit with all 5 like an explosion it dropped 10k health off him in a split second. In melee range it’s amazing. If you drop smite, you can keep hammering away with Orb of Wrath. With a crit based build and 2900 plus power you can do some serious damage to anyone. It’s also amazing in WvWvW on keep attacks.
2. Smite is ridiculously hilarious to watch. You can hit as many people as cluster together. It’s a bit of a hassle against good opponents, but with a 6 sec cool down and a 1200 range, you can lead kiters drop in a node to clear an area. It’s hilarious powerful when used correctly, you can watch health drop and stand toe to toe with anyone and pound away. It’s hilarious when you drop it on an unsuspecting target, and they have no clue what’s going on.
3. Chains of Light to catch that pesky kiter, hold that crit machine in place so you can drop the hammer on them. One of my favorite moves is to Chains of Light, rush in dropping Smite and then unloading with Cleansing flame on the torch for some ridiculous burst.
4. The scepter is amazing for ranged and full on damage defense, it can be used as a melee weapon and as a ranged bomber. If you learn to fire ahead of your target you will be amazed as to how many people you can hit who are trying to kite your slow moving orbs. In fact if you turn and face ahead of a target who is running across the field the orb will fire ahead of them and then fire several orbs in a line back to them.
5. Bombing from on high is simply hilarious, combined with the torch you have 3 attacks at 1200 that hit like a truck. In WvW, Zealot’s flame hits like a truck followed by several orb of wraths, and Smite and there isn’t a person alive who can live through that amount of sheer damage.
6. You claim that it’s easy to get away. Yes if you only fire one, someone can out run it or simply move to one side or the other, but I never fire one. I fire 5 in a row while moving and turning and suddenly no matter which way they turn there is another orb of wrath. So they dodge, no problem, Orb’s animation is so fast you can fire several more before the dodge ends.
Downside: No symbols or combo finishers. It’s really tough to get a spec that synergizes well with it. I love running with the torch. You can run with a SW build, a meditation build, a consecration build, and a condition build. Optimally it would work best with a signet build, but our signets are pretty awful.
The problem with the condition build is that there is no way to pull off additional burn/conditions without being in melee range, meaning you need to get in melee range to successfully pull it off. The biggest issue is we don’t have a way to pile more than 3 different conditions and most of them have really low timers and aren’t easily reapplied. That means burn is the only thing on the target. In the end, I ran a triple meditation build for the self healing, and condition cleansing.
In the end this is the biggest problem with the scepter, it doesn’t really fit anywhere well, because there is no ranged offhand, and there is no really easy trait build to drop it in. 2H weapons work well with offensive focused builds. Support builds work best with the staff. Node defensive builds work best with Mace/Shield and Hammer. So where does that leave my scepter? I ran into a scepter/Shield user in a wz last night, and blew through him with the scepter/torch. The scepter doesn’t really work well with the shield, and synergizes best with the torch or focus. My feeling is simple, it would work best with a signet build for straight damage, but our signets and signet traits are awful.
Finally, the scepter works best if it’s almost always used as the cd’s are very short on it’s attacks which means constant weapon swapping is kind of odd. The 2h weapons have long cooldowns which means you use their abilities, swap to the next weapon and keep going.
TLDR: The scepter is amazing and fun to use, but doesn’t synergize with any trait builds or off hands really well. I have personally found the meditation build to be the best for my own survival. I ran these two builds the most often:
Edited by Anam Itheoir, 27 August 2012 - 08:14 PM.