• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kamikaze MIlkman

Kamikaze MIlkman

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Many of the pvp ranger builds I've seen online suggest running an axe/warhorn weaponset along with greatsword. What makes the warhorn better than the dagger? the dagger has a poison AND a ranged bleed/cripple, while the warhorn has a decent damage spell (not as good as the poison) and a decent aoe buff.

Why do I NEVER see the dagger used as an offhand weapon in PvP? And what makes the warhorn better? If for some reason I'm missing the strength of the warhorn skills please explain :)

#2 Fatalis

Fatalis

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Call of the Wild is a phenomenal skill, there are only a handful of skills that give fury and few of them as long as 15 seconds.

Hunter's Call is also great for pressure.

Compared to the dagger, people would simply rather have these skills than what the dagger offers.

#3 Kamikaze MIlkman

Kamikaze MIlkman

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for your response!

So I understand why fury would be good, making call of the wild REALLY good, i just never thought that it was good enough to compete with the 3 conditions from the dagger.

#4 flint11

flint11

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

Before Earth of Sigil was hit with the 2s ICD, it was extremely easy to stack 18-20+ stacks of bleeds with dem hawks. Hunter's Call was a multi-hit ability and with high crit, it was very easy to multiple procs off said sigil and made the ranger condition spec extremely bursty around that cool down.

#5 Kamikaze MIlkman

Kamikaze MIlkman

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

View Postflint11, on 28 August 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Before Earth of Sigil was hit with the 2s ICD, it was extremely easy to stack 18-20+ stacks of bleeds with dem hawks. Hunter's Call was a multi-hit ability and with high crit, it was very easy to multiple procs off said sigil and made the ranger condition spec extremely bursty around that cool down.

That makes a lot of sense now, i see why hunter's call would be very powerful. Is warhorn still stronger than any other offhand after these nerfs?

#6 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Dagger4: unusable unless you melee. Many builds would rather not. Even when it is, it does mediocre damage and the side effect of healing reductions is only that much usable.
Dagger5: decent, but if you want a condition damage offhand, why not grab the torch?

After the sigil nerf CotW is the main reason to pick warhorn. It's decent support at no cost and it's the only power based offhand we have.

#7 Fatalis

Fatalis

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

Most people would say so.

You also give up your ranged advantage by using a dagger, as you have to get in close in order to use skill 4, which is why warhorn is often paired with axe.

#8 RixenAranos

RixenAranos

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

I was having this conversation earlier with a guildmate. You simply can't beat the effectiveness of CotW, especially considering it's support capability to your party/team. Although the dagger could prove useful, the utility of Warhorn wins every time. Really, the only other offhand wep I really even consider is the mighty torch!

#9 ZNICK

ZNICK

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

I play the dagger a lot in pvp... sometimes with axe and sometimes wih sword. I love it with my trapper builds.  It has a long slow, so when I combine it with traps then swap to bow, I can kite and kill easily.

I like it...

Z

#10 Nettle

Nettle

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LR]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

Some people still fail to understand you can pop the warhorn buff immediately before a fight, or while roaming, and switch right back to your preferred offhand.  Not saying warhorn is a bad OH, but you shouldn't feel obligated to use it solely for the buff.

Also IMO dagger 4's big advantage is the built in evasion.  When paired with sword, almost every one of your abilities will evade.  It's just simply a much harder playstyle, therefore you don't see many people running it.

#11 Daedin

Daedin

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BEST]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostNettle, on 06 September 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Some people still fail to understand you can pop the warhorn buff immediately before a fight, or while roaming, and switch right back to your preferred offhand.  Not saying warhorn is a bad OH, but you shouldn't feel obligated to use it solely for the buff.

Also IMO dagger 4's big advantage is the built in evasion.  When paired with sword, almost every one of your abilities will evade.  It's just simply a much harder playstyle, therefore you don't see many people running it.
Yea I've been thinking about this for awihle.  It probably is the best way to go.  Use the buff, switch it out.  Heck, even for a torch if you're running axe.  If only there was a really quick way to do this.  Do you just bring up your character screen every time?

#12 Nettle

Nettle

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LR]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostDaedin, on 06 September 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yea I've been thinking about this for awihle.  It probably is the best way to go.  Use the buff, switch it out.  Heck, even for a torch if you're running axe.  If only there was a really quick way to do this.  Do you just bring up your character screen every time?

I do it all the time, as I usually run axe/torch in my condi build.  Just put the warhorn in the first slot of your bag while pvping, open bag double click horn hit 5, double click the weapon you swapped.  It takes like 2 seconds tops.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranger, warhorn, dagger, offhand, pvp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users