8 replies to this topic

#1 ChanCake

ChanCake

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hey all,

I pre-ordered the game and was happy enough to get into the world of Tyria yesterday.
Unfortunately, after a while of playing; My game crashed. I thought, maybe it's because the servers are so overloaded?

I tried again and again.. and again. It keeps coming back, but the time I can play differs. For example, one time I could play an hour and just now I couldn't even for ten minutes. My whole laptop freezes and crashes, leading to me having to restart it again.

The laptop is new and meets the specs of the game. As you can see this is very frustrating, especially because it won't do my laptop any good either if it freezes the whole thing and I have to press the on/of button everytime to shut it down.

Anyone had this, too?
And does someone perhaps have a solution?

#2 CoffeeMug

CoffeeMug

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I don't think this is a server/client problem, unfortunately.

This is just a shot in the dark, but what graphics card do you have?  People have been reporting trouble with certain Nvidia drivers.  Alternatively, you may be running old drivers that need to be updated.  Make sure your bios is up to date as well, if you know how to do that - that solved a similar problem for a friend of mine.  Check your manufacturer's website and ensure you have the most recent updates from them.

Aside from ensuring your supporting software is current, try turning down the graphics settings for a while and  see if that helps.  There's also a chance your laptop may simply be overheating.  I recommend a laptop stand that raises your machine off the desk and blows air underneath it.

Laptop crashes are frustrating and difficult to troubleshoot (which is why I only use mine for work, now).  Good luck.

#3 Akela Rumi

Akela Rumi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I had a few crashes myself, specificly when zoning, but nothing too big. The nvidea driver bug might be the cause, or (trying) to set the options on lower quality (not that thats a solution, but it tells you tons if it works better then)

#4 ChanCake

ChanCake

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Why, thank you both.
I think the Nvidia Videocard is the problem.

I´m going to see if there are any updates right now and pray for it to work!

#5 BlueTooth

BlueTooth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostChanCake, on 28 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Hey all,

I pre-ordered the game and was happy enough to get into the world of Tyria yesterday.
Unfortunately, after a while of playing; My game crashed. I thought, maybe it's because the servers are so overloaded?

I tried again and again.. and again. It keeps coming back, but the time I can play differs. For example, one time I could play an hour and just now I couldn't even for ten minutes. My whole laptop freezes and crashes, leading to me having to restart it again.

The laptop is new and meets the specs of the game. As you can see this is very frustrating, especially because it won't do my laptop any good either if it freezes the whole thing and I have to press the on/of button everytime to shut it down.

Anyone had this, too?
And does someone perhaps have a solution?
If your computer completely just shuts off on its own? or does it just freeze and you have to hold the power button?

Like others have said before, this may be due to certain driver issues.

However if it does completely shut off, it is due to overheating issues. GW2 is not exactly optimized to handle overclocking very well, this may have improved however laptops generally get much hotter than desktops.

If you have an Intel chipset (like i7) I would suggest you turn Turbo Boost OFF, the reason is this lowers the amount of heat and since GW2 is not fully optimized (Have not tested this on my laptop since launch) it overworks your laptop, and during BWE3 i was getting better framerates with it turned off..

If your computer still randomly shuts off, I would suggest lowering some of your graphics settings until the game becomes more optimized.. The reason for this is that it lessens the load on your laptop and doesnt have to crank full blast, meaning less heat.

I was having issues with my laptop (ASUS G73JW-1A) as I was traveling during BWE3, and so I tried many things to lower the overheating issues I was having and these two helped the most. (Also making sure the room you are in is cool and well ventilated helps a bit as well..)

Hope this helps.

#6 ChanCake

ChanCake

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

^ It doesn't shut off by itself. I have to hold the power button. The whole game just freezes and for some reason it takes my laptop down with it.

So, I checked for updates on my videocard. It was all up-to-date and so is the rest of my computer.
Anyways, I have a Dell XPS 15. Maybe that helps?

Although, I think it's the videocard issue that has been said above, but will that be fixed/updated to work?

#7 BlueTooth

BlueTooth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostChanCake, on 28 August 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

^ It doesn't shut off by itself. I have to hold the power button. The whole game just freezes and for some reason it takes my laptop down with it.

So, I checked for updates on my videocard. It was all up-to-date and so is the rest of my computer.
Anyways, I have a Dell XPS 15. Maybe that helps?

Although, I think it's the videocard issue that has been said above, but will that be fixed/updated to work?
Sounds like the game is getting hung up on something than.. Since it is hard to pin point the exact problem.. I would suggest trying a few things which may help or do nothing at all.. I would try disabling turbo boost and see if that does anything for you, since GW2 is not fully optimized to handle overclocking and since turbo boost does that on the fly, it may help stability if its not fluctuating. As far as drivers are concerned, you may or may not want to uninstall your graphics drivers and re-install them however I doubt this would do anything if your other games/programs do not lock your computer up. These are just a few ideas.

#8 ClintonD

ClintonD

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Mine crashed only once during a particularly large battle in WvW. My computer isn't completely the best, and when I checked my stats during the midst of the crash, the memory was running high. I was running my graphics fairly high, since the rest of the game works fairly well for my tastes. I'll probably just lower my graphics for when I go into WvW. I'm ok with that, WvW isn't quite as scenic as the rest of the game and I think that was done for a purpose, probably because of the huge graphical load of hundreds of players battling.

#9 An Unhappy Gamer

An Unhappy Gamer

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have an xps 15 aswell and I am having the exact same problem, is yours working? did you get it fixed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users