4 replies to this topic

#1 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Anyone know what this is and where it came from?

It managed to get onto my computer without my knowlegde and I have only noticed it today while playing Guild Wars 2.

Thanks.

#2 Feyyy

Feyyy

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Awesomium is a windowless web-browser framework. It can be used for web-page captures, embedded browsing and more. It is based on Chromium/WebKit with API for .NET and C. More info can be found on http://awesomium.com/

This is probably the browser that is used when you open the in-game gem store, trading post etc

#3 Altynay

Altynay

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

The game drops this file into %TEMP%\{144DA8C1-8EF9-15EA-C2A8-4D14F98EEA15} folder while running.

#4 Athlonpv

Athlonpv

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

And I thought it was spyware and killed it as soon as i saw it ;) . Friend of mine noticed it was something launched by GW2. BAD GW2 devs!!

#5 ogrejd

ogrejd

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1054 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MOoN]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Just spotted it today, as well (was curious to see just how much RAM & CPU GW2 was eating - 1.2 GB RAM and 83-89% CPU, even when in the background :/).

Killed it, researched, opened the gem store to check, and it did indeed show up again - and it stays up even when you don't have the gem store open. Gods only know what else it's doing. (No, I do not trust undisclosed software running on my computer - ESPECIALLY when a seemingly-trustworthy company's software downloads it on the fly in order to run it, rather than installing and disclosing it in the first place: THAT IS WHAT TROJANS DO.)

EDIT: With things like this coming up, it's no wonder they're keeping the official forum closed.

Edited by ogrejd, 29 August 2012 - 09:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users