• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Achievement for leveling only by crafting--fever dream?

crafting achievement interview article

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 heymermaid

heymermaid

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

I could have sworn reading somewhere that it's possible to max level only using experience from crafting, and there's a juicy achievement for doing so. That sounds like an alt-character endgame I can really sink my teeth into. But now I'm struck by a couple of questions, the first being that I can't seem to find the article or interview where I got that impression. Does anyone have any leads? Am I crazy?

The second is that, provided I didn't just hallucinate this fabled achievement, I don't know if it's possible to not level 1-2 while rushing the intro area. Presumably that would be taken into account... right?

My plan was to hoard mats and hold of on making a homebody crafting-only alt who never left Rata Sum until I learned more, but I'm chomping at the bit because crafting is just too much fun.

#2 Reiden221

Reiden221

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DAoT]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Yes it is possible to reach level 80 by reaching rank 400 in all 8 crafting disciplines.  This is can be found all over in multiple interviews/news posts/twitter/facebook and so on and so forth.

There is NO achievement for leveling exclusively by crafting.  This can be verified by scrolling through the Achievements listed in-game.

There is an achievement for maxing all 8 crafting disciplines, but this has nothing to do with reaching level 80.

#3 Quested

Quested

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Guild Tag:[OoS]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostReiden221, on 29 August 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Yes it is possible to reach level 80 by reaching rank 400 in all 8 crafting disciplines.  This is can be found all over in multiple interviews/news posts/twitter/facebook and so on and so forth.

There is NO achievement for leveling exclusively by crafting.  This can be verified by scrolling through the Achievements listed in-game.

There is an achievement for maxing all 8 crafting disciplines, but this has nothing to do with reaching level 80.

I just leveled cooking

There are many food in bulk karma vendor must haves to level that are not tradeable therefore I call BS to the arena net claim you can level to 80 with only crafting

Peaches for example ... Must do the heart quest in level 60 plus zone to buy the peaches with karma ... Etc

I say arena lied it is not possible to get 80 without fighting period

Edited by Quested, 05 September 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#4 Zu Darkcrosser

Zu Darkcrosser

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CON]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostQuested, on 05 September 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

I just leveled cooking

There are many food in bulk karma vendor must haves to level that are not tradeable therefore I call BS to the arena net claim you can level to 80 with only crafting

Peaches for example ... Must do the heart quest in level 60 plus zone to buy the peaches with karma ... Etc

I say arena lied it is not possible to get 80 without fighting period

Your post is just silly.

The point of leveling to 80 by only crafting is that you can have a character that only maxes all 8 skills and will hit level 80.  Its OBVIOUS that you cannot feasibly do this without another character or the support of high level friends.

#5 Quested

Quested

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostZu Darkcrosser, on 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Your post is just silly.

The point of leveling to 80 by only crafting is that you can have a character that only maxes all 8 skills and will hit level 80.  Its OBVIOUS that you cannot feasibly do this without another character or the support of high level friends.

Is your comprehension really that low or maybe I was not clear and consise enough

Doesn't matter how many friends you have lol... Your not going to be able to buy peach becuase they are bound and cannot be traded so your character has to go get them ... Do the heart and have the karma from playing to purchase them ... So no you cannot level a character by just crafting and friends supplying you mats

Edited by Quested, 06 September 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#6 Draconious

Draconious

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

You actually can level purely from crafting all the professions. You will need an alt that can buy and farm the ingredients for you but it is possible. Those karma ingredients are account bound so they can be traded between your own characters. Your friends, if you have any, can supply you with gold to buy materials or the materials themselves which are not account bound.

While there are cheaper ways to level. Crafting is the fastest way to level if you have all of the necessary supplies, materials and knowledge.

#7 Zu Darkcrosser

Zu Darkcrosser

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CON]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostQuested, on 06 September 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Is your comprehension really that low or maybe I was not clear and consise enough

Doesn't matter how many friends you have lol... Your not going to be able to buy peach becuase they are bound and cannot be traded so your character has to go get them ... Do the heart and have the karma from playing to purchase them ... So no you cannot level a character by just crafting and friends supplying you mats

Is your understanding that low ? You reall thought you could get yourself a brand new level one and no other characters and then somehow magically max out all your crafting professions without support from a high level character or other people in terms of money ?  i mean really ?

the claim Anet made is that you "can" level A character to 80 by only crafting.  They never claimed your brand new first character would be able to.

#8 Quested

Quested

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostZu Darkcrosser, on 06 September 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Is your understanding that low ? You reall thought you could get yourself a brand new level one and no other characters and then somehow magically max out all your crafting professions without support from a high level character or other people in terms of money ?  i mean really ?

the claim Anet made is that you "can" level A character to 80 by only crafting.  They never claimed your brand new first character would be able to.

Your adding your own opinion And conjecture

Arena net said it not me

I'm just saying its not possible becuase you have buy karma food in bulk at high level

Not sure why your being so argumentative /shrug

I was just answering op honestly as opposed to arena net misleading people

Side note : it was possible at launch but they Patched to make the food in bulk your character only can buy

So arena was correct in saying you could level to 80 without killing
But that only lasted 2 days then they changed minds I guess

#9 Soazak

Soazak

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AR]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostQuested, on 06 September 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Your adding your own opinion And conjecture

Arena net said it not me

I'm just saying its not possible becuase you have buy karma food in bulk at high level

Not sure why your being so argumentative /shrug

I was just answering op honestly as opposed to arena net misleading people

Side note : it was possible at launch but they Patched to make the food in bulk your character only can buy

So arena was correct in saying you could level to 80 without killing
But that only lasted 2 days then they changed minds I guess

You seem to be suggesting "level to 80 by crafting" means "level to 80 by crafting with no outside resources".

You can level to 80 by crafting, but you will need resources, gold and karma items obviously.  To get these you're going to have to obtain them somehow..such as using having an alt or through the help of friends.

The karma items are account bound, not character bound. So you can use one high level character to get them for the lower level crafter.

So it still stands, you can craft from level 2-80. But no, of course you cannot level to 80 using only crafting, and only using that character without any outside help...that would be silly.

Edited by Soazak, 06 September 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#10 Quested

Quested

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostSoazak, on 06 September 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

You seem to be suggesting "level to 80 by crafting" means "level to 80 by crafting with no outside resources".

You can level to 80 by crafting, but you will need resources, gold and karma items obviously.  To get these you're going to have to obtain them somehow..such as using having an alt or through the help of friends.

The karma items are account bound, not character bound. So you can use one high level character to get them for the lower level crafter.

So it still stands, you can craft from level 2-80. But no, of course you cannot level to 80 using only crafting, and only using that character without any outside help...that would be silly.

I'm merely stating facts ... Arena net said for a long time if you only wanted to be a crafter without adventuring the option was there to get to 80 by doing so

When game launched they held to their word and sure enough you could do so by buying gems converting to gold and buying mats from Players and selling the products to vendor or salvage or tp

Two days later they changed mind for whatever reason and decided players that only wanted to craft would now have to go Pve to get loads of karma to buy karma food

Recap: arena net says you can level without fighting through crafting for a long time

They launch game and they were true to their word and sure enough it was possible ( the holy grail for mmo crafters )

Two days later they patch and force Pve karma fighting to hit 80

Those are all facts and indisputable so I'm not sure why you want to argue about it /shrug

I don't even care was just answering op

Of course you need a main to feed a crafter now but that's not what arena net said would be for a couple of years then blam two days after launch the changed mind for whatever reason ..  

This is an honest answer to the op question

And I really am quite neutral on it but facts are facts

Some people just like to find something to debate for fun of it I guess is why you quoted me /shrug

#11 Soazak

Soazak

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AR]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostQuested, on 06 September 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I'm merely stating facts ... Arena net said for a long time if you only wanted to be a crafter without adventuring the option was there to get to 80 by doing so

I don't remember the bold bit being stated.

They said you can get to 80 just by crafting, which is still true.

The answer to the OPs question is yes you can, but there is no achievement for doing so. Though there is the Master Crafter achievement for maxing all 8, though this can be spread through different characters.

#12 kethmar

kethmar

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

You finish the tutorial at level 2 and probably can't get to a crafting station without getting exploring experience.

The OP must have never played this game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crafting, achievement, interview, article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users