• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I know ArenaNet is pretty good about releasing expansions, but have they mentioned anything recently about the exact details of their content team adding new stuff in?

Do you think they will strictly just drop in new dynamic events or do we have a real chance of seeing Dungeon / Mini-Dungeon type encounters being thrown in?

I'd like to see some new content that actually requires a bit of thought to do and isn't just some zergfest button spaming dynamic event.  It may be my level, but that's all it seems to be so far.

We've got a long way to go before consuming all the current content in the game, but I'd like to know that something else is just around the corner. Obviously bug fixing is the highest priorty among all the staff right now since the game just launched yesterday.

Even adding in more jumping puzzles and other fun stuff like that would be great.

#2 LumenLazrin

LumenLazrin

Vanguard Scout

• Banned
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

my suspicion is that we're all about to be completely underwhelmed at the pace of content and updates for a aaa mmo

if they're on the ball and want to prove me wrong, they will announce something in the next week or so

but something tells me that when they can't even get their forums running, we're a long way from that

#3 ZudetGambeous

ZudetGambeous

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

They said they will do content updates, but don't expect them to be as regular as a sub based MMO. We aren't paying for updates like in other MMO's.

Also since they haven't even gotten all parts of the core game working (forums, trading post, guilds, etc) I would suspect it will be another month or so before we hear anything about things like that.

#4 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostLumenLazrin, on 29 August 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

my suspicion is that we're all about to be completely underwhelmed at the pace of content and updates for a aaa mmo

if they're on the ball and want to prove me wrong, they will announce something in the next week or so

but something tells me that when they can't even get their forums running, we're a long way from that

They keep saying that they want to provide a service, etc...  and have the best post-launch support of all.  We'll see I guess.  They don't even have the trading post working yet.

View PostZudetGambeous, on 29 August 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

They said they will do content updates, but don't expect them to be as regular as a sub based MMO. We aren't paying for updates like in other MMO's.

Also since they haven't even gotten all parts of the core game working (forums, trading post, guilds, etc) I would suspect it will be another month or so before we hear anything about things like that.

We aren't paying for updates?  So I'm not supporting content development by buying stuff off the gem store?

#5 Mujen

Mujen

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SRI]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

First off what level are you?
Second, the game literally has been out for 2 days and your already asking for more content. I mean come on, let's be a bit reasonable. Maybe if you got your world completion to around 60% than yeah sure ask for more content. But if your just not feeling the game, that's okay. But making a post like this to get the attention of others leaves a bad impression of the game for those who are still on the fence, and that's not fair. But I do hope you can find a game that provides you what your looking for!

#6 shootsfoot

shootsfoot

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

LOL!  In the next week?

People amaze me.

#7 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostMujen, on 29 August 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

First off what level are you?
Second, the game literally has been out for 2 days and your already asking for more content. I mean come on, let's be a bit reasonable. Maybe if you got your world completion to around 60% than yeah sure ask for more content. But if your just not feeling the game, that's okay. But making a post like this to get the attention of others leaves a bad impression of the game for those who are still on the fence, and that's not fair. But I do hope you can find a game that provides you what your looking for!

It'll be several months at least before I run out of stuff to do, but I was just curious as to the future.

#8 Mujen

Mujen

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SRI]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostJCourtney, on 29 August 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

It'll be several months at least before I run out of stuff to do, but I was just curious as to the future.

Then enjoy what you have now. Of course they are going to have content in the future, but as of right now that's not going to be there primary focus.

#9 sifr

sifr

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Guild Wars 2:  Day 2 of launch:  People bored, want new content.  Film at 11.

Seriously?
"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking."Jackson Browne
"Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish the rest." Mark Twain
"Circumstances do not make a man, they reveal him." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There is nothing in which people more betray their character than in what they laugh at." Goethe

#10 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostMujen, on 29 August 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Then enjoy what you have now. Of course they are going to have content in the future, but as of right now that's not going to be there primary focus.

That's what I'm asking about.  They did say it was one of their main objectives was not just selling a game, but a service.  Obviously bug fixes come first, but they did say they split their team in half to provide post-launch content.

View Postsifr, on 29 August 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Guild Wars 2:  Day 2 of launch:  People bored, want new content.  Film at 11.

Seriously?

Breaking news... Just in... People don't read the entire post, "We've got a long way to go before consuming all the current content in the game"

Edited by JCourtney, 29 August 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#11 Moda_Tyr

Moda_Tyr

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Content a week after launch.... Might as well be unrealistic in all the threads you post in.

#12 IceyPain

IceyPain

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

I believe I heard them say that they would release dungeons via the cashshop. I wish I could give you the source where I heard it, but I'm afraid that I do not know anymore.

#13 sifr

sifr

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostJCourtney, on 29 August 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

That's what I'm asking about.  They did say it was one of their main objectives was not just selling a game, but a service.  Obviously bug fixes come first, but they did say they split their team in half to provide post-launch content.

Breaking news... Just in... People don't read the entire post, "We've got a long way to go before consuming all the current content in the game"

Retraction:  Earlier, we reported half a quote.  The full quote we meant to report was, "We've got a long way to go before consuming all the current content in the game, but I'd like to know that something else is just around the corner."

The news staff apologizes for this oversight.  We're aware that the full quote completely changes the meaning of the quote.

Edited by sifr, 29 August 2012 - 06:42 PM.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There is nothing in which people more betray their character than in what they laugh at." Goethe

#14 KenpoJuJitsu3

KenpoJuJitsu3

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I did not expect to see a thread like this on day two.

#15 LumenLazrin

LumenLazrin

Vanguard Scout

• Banned
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostModa_Tyr, on 29 August 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Content a week after launch.... Might as well be unrealistic in all the threads you post in.

the secret world wants to have a word with you

#16 Zerphane

Zerphane

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Needing content already? Congrats on being Level 80. Secondly , you can't just zerg all content, you'd know better if you ever did the Fire Elemental event, I watched people for 30mins try to Zerg it only to die over and over again, only when people worked together used skills correctly and paid attention did the boss go down, and I felt this was about the time in the game where that should be expected.

#17 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postsifr, on 29 August 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

Retraction:  Earlier, we reported half a quote.  The full quote we meant to report was, "We've got a long way to go before consuming all the current content in the game, but I'd like to know that something else is just around the corner."

The news staff apologizes for this oversight.  We're aware that the full quote completely changes the meaning of the quote.

Because wanting details on future content plans is wrong?  When that's all they did pre-launch was talk about how MMO's are a service and how they will be dropping in content everywhere.

#18 Zerphane

Zerphane

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostIceyPain, on 29 August 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

I believe I heard them say that they would release dungeons via the cashshop. I wish I could give you the source where I heard it, but I'm afraid that I do not know anymore.
They may got the route of LoTRO , but making it so you can only get dungeons via cash shops would be hard , because then if you wanted to do a area and your friends or guild mates couldn't afford it yet, would slow down people's progress, then again, this might be all by design. ^^

#19 sifr

sifr

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostJCourtney, on 29 August 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Because wanting details on future content plans is wrong?  When that's all they did pre-launch was talk about how MMO's are a service and how they will be dropping in content everywhere.

They will.  There won't be huge changes all the time.  They were talking about things like adding new DEs here and there, or altering current content.  Small changes to content.  Not expansions.

#20 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostZerphane, on 29 August 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

They may got the route of LoTRO , but making it so you can only get dungeons via cash shops would be hard , because then if you wanted to do a area and your friends or guild mates couldn't afford it yet, would slow down people's progress, then again, this might be all by design. ^^

Are Gem Shop transactions purely profits for them or will they put back some of that to fuel the content team?

#21 Maconi

Maconi

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostMujen, on 29 August 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Maybe if you got your world completion to around 60% than yeah sure ask for more content

Ironically I have, but I'm nowhere near bored yet (I haven't even touched dungeons yet, much less the higher level areas). It's funny that the people who have barely played the game are the ones begging for more. ^_^

#22 CityBuilder

CityBuilder

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostZudetGambeous, on 29 August 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

So where does the gem store money go then?  Is that just sort of a little christmas bonus fund for the developers?

It's inevitable that people will want to know what the future holds for the games that they play, personally I think of GW2 no different than any other MMO, Anet had the choice of either charging a sub or using the F2P model (aka cash shop type of model) and they seem to have chosen the cash shop model, so if the cash shop money is nothing more than a christmas fund for them then I don't see the need to buy anything further in there if it's not going to go towards creating new content.

Personally I'm not looking for new content right now, not anywhere near looking for new content, but I too am curious as to what Anet will be dropping into the game as new content and I don't think there is anything wrong with wondering about that.

I'm pretty sure that Anet understands that many people will burn through their content in no time at all.  It happens in all the MMO's out there and then the real cries for more content start to come in.

We'll just have to see how things play out with regards to game content of what is now termed a full MMO and their cash/gem shop.  I really don't suspect that it will make them all that much and they'll make far more by when they put out full expansions like they did with GW1.

Edited by CityBuilder, 29 August 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#23 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostCityBuilder, on 29 August 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

So where does the gem store money go then?  Is that just sort of a little christmas bonus fund for the developers?

It's inevitable that people will want to know what the future holds for the games that they play, personally I think of GW2 no different than any other MMO, Anet had the choice of either charging a sub or using the F2P model (aka cash shop type of model) and they seem to have chosen the cash shop model, so if the cash shop money is nothing more than a christmas fund for them then I don't see the need to buy anything further in there if it's not going to go towards creating new content.

Personally I'm not looking for new content right now, not anywhere near looking for new content, but I too am curious as to what Anet will be dropping into the game as new content and I don't think there is anything wrong with wondering about that.

I would use the gem shop all the time if I knew the money wasn't just lining pockets.  I don't think dropping in more of the same type of events will be enough either, as most of them seem to just require zerging.

#24 sifr

sifr

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostJCourtney, on 29 August 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

I would use the gem shop all the time if I knew the money wasn't just lining pockets.  I don't think dropping in more of the same type of events will be enough either, as most of them seem to just require zerging.

So you'll give money to businesses as long as they refuse to profit from that money?

What do you think they did with the money you spent on the game?

#25 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

View Postsifr, on 29 August 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

So you'll give money to businesses as long as they refuse to profit from that money?

What do you think they did with the money you spent on the game?

The money I paid for the game is profit for them and if I recall they've sold millions.

So yes, I'm not going to spend real money on overpriced in-game items unless some of that money is going back into the game.

#26 sifr

sifr

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostJCourtney, on 29 August 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

The money I paid for the game is profit for them and if I recall they've sold millions.

So yes, I'm not going to spend real money on overpriced in-game items unless some of that money is going back into the game.

Then I suggest you buy stock in NCSoft on the S. Korean exchange (http://eng.krx.co.kr...?isu_cd=A036570 ), make plans to attend their yearly stockholder meeting (assuming they're required to have one; I have no idea how corporate law works in S. Korea), and ask how they make use of the funds spent in the gem store.

I have to wonder how many other companies you hold to this strict standard.

#27 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postsifr, on 29 August 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

Then I suggest you buy stock in NCSoft on the S. Korean exchange (http://eng.krx.co.kr...?isu_cd=A036570 ), make plans to attend their yearly stockholder meeting (assuming they're required to have one; I have no idea how corporate law works in S. Korea), and ask how they make use of the funds spent in the gem store.

I have to wonder how many other companies you hold to this strict standard.

Every MMO that either 1. Charges a monthly fee or 2. Has In-Game Cash shop.

If it's not an MMO, then I don't expect anything out of it.

#28 CreaterDarkness

CreaterDarkness

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

WE WANT NEW CONTENT

#29 JCourtney

JCourtney

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Borderlands 2 will be out next by the time I finish with all the current content anyway, but I would still like to know their plans.

#30 sifr

sifr

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostJCourtney, on 29 August 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Every MMO that either 1. Charges a monthly fee or 2. Has In-Game Cash shop.

If it's not an MMO, then I don't expect anything out of it.

It must be expensive, travelling to all those stockholder meetings and questioning the boards about their expenditures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users