4 replies to this topic

#1 Hynne

Hynne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Let's just start with a little disclaimer:

I've been an avid Guild Wars player, and truly do like the game, but there's simply one thing that I'm already starting to struggle with and am afraid it'll just affect my will to play.

So for the last few betas, headstarts and even now in launch.. I'm still finding myself underwhelmed in terms of professions.
I've tried every class to level 20 at least, and about every time I reach that point, sometimes even sooner (yet I press on, hoping it gets better), the character I'm playing feels underwhelming.
To me, there's just not enough creativity in terms of weapon load-outs and utility skills and traits to feel like.. well it's making much of an impact.
In the original (I know, this is not Guild Wars 1, but it's hard not to draw a comparison), I loved, and I mean LOVED the way a build could completely change the perspective you had on a class. Something which I find lacking in GW2.
You'd suddenly have Rangers running around with hammers or scythes, a mesmer could disable your entire skill bar or suddenly start stealing skills from you even.
The list goes on.
However, I can't really find the adaptability I'm looking for in a class in this game.

Simply put, I just can't find the versatility in a class to keep me playing.
And I'm sincerely hoping someone can convince me otherwise, because a part of me really does not want to quit this game.

#2 ScottBroChill

ScottBroChill

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

I agree and thought the same thing, but if you think about it the amount of actual viable builds wasn't all that high either. Most of the time you had your favorite build and it stuck like that most of the time. The difference being is that you get to choose which skills would be on it, but it still wouldn't vary. When I played ele in gw1 I mostly stuck with a water build and there were eight skills that I would always use when using water, then in pvp I would use fire or water but never really touched the other two elements often. When I played a rit I was mostly a spirit spammer and occasionally a resto rit and of course some farming builds so I could make some cash.

There is a lower total amount of build variation, but higher amount of variable builds. But I do miss build wars... it was a fun time :(

#3 Hynne

Hynne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostScottBroChill, on 29 August 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I agree and thought the same thing, but if you think about it the amount of actual viable builds wasn't all that high either. Most of the time you had your favorite build and it stuck like that most of the time. The difference being is that you get to choose which skills would be on it, but it still wouldn't vary. When I played ele in gw1 I mostly stuck with a water build and there were eight skills that I would always use when using water, then in pvp I would use fire or water but never really touched the other two elements often. When I played a rit I was mostly a spirit spammer and occasionally a resto rit and of course some farming builds so I could make some cash.

There is a lower total amount of build variation, but higher amount of variable builds. But I do miss build wars... it was a fun time :(

Oh I completely get that. There were a lot of rather unusable skills even in the original.
However, for me it was also not all about viability, it was about having fun, messing about and sometimes even making a challenge for yourself. ( I mean a skill stealing mesmer was a horrible idea in practice, as it was completely random what you stole)
Out of curiosity however, what profession did you end up going with?
And are you somehow finding that versatility in it still?

#4 ScottBroChill

ScottBroChill

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

hahah well I haven't totally decided yet. I remade my ele from gw1 and got to level 8 and enjoyed it but wanted something new. The I tried thief to level 16 and was having a blast using pistol/dagger for a kiting and bleed build. I missed using the magic so now I'm using a mesmer and have been doing pvp on it for a little bit and have been having way more fun with it than the other classes.

Now for mesmer I have been using the same build layout for pvp for the past two days because I finally found one that worked for me using  staff and sword/pistol which is all around great offensively and can survive well. I found versatility more so in the different ways I can use my skills and shatters. I think I Iike mesmer so much because since It doesn't have high numbers with attacks you have to think up different strategies to survive and confuse your enemies with your clones. Mass invisibility is also a great skill which I don't think many people choose, but it saves my ass and when I see a team mate getting annihilated I can pop it so they can get away and I can come in a distract the enemy.

They aren't so good for pvp due to the illusions dying upon enemy death, which is sorta obnoxious and I wish it was more of a legit summoner class in that regard, but they have weapon skills who's main utility and damage isnt in the form of clones and they can support nicely.

#5 Jyasu

Jyasu

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

View PostHynne, on 29 August 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Let's just start with a little disclaimer:

I've been an avid Guild Wars player, and truly do like the game, but there's simply one thing that I'm already starting to struggle with and am afraid it'll just affect my will to play.

So for the last few betas, headstarts and even now in launch.. I'm still finding myself underwhelmed in terms of professions.
I've tried every class to level 20 at least, and about every time I reach that point, sometimes even sooner (yet I press on, hoping it gets better), the character I'm playing feels underwhelming.
To me, there's just not enough creativity in terms of weapon load-outs and utility skills and traits to feel like.. well it's making much of an impact.
In the original (I know, this is not Guild Wars 1, but it's hard not to draw a comparison), I loved, and I mean LOVED the way a build could completely change the perspective you had on a class. Something which I find lacking in GW2.
You'd suddenly have Rangers running around with hammers or scythes, a mesmer could disable your entire skill bar or suddenly start stealing skills from you even.
The list goes on.
However, I can't really find the adaptability I'm looking for in a class in this game.

Simply put, I just can't find the versatility in a class to keep me playing.
And I'm sincerely hoping someone can convince me otherwise, because a part of me really does not want to quit this game.

I felt similarly until I played a warrior. Warrior was the last class on my list for this game... and now its the one I most enjoy because multiple weapon load-outs.

Perhaps in the future they will release an abundance of balanced utility skills that give players numerous paths to try. I wish there were more utility skills- I honestly don't know what they were thinking by giving us so few.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: profession, skills, traits, utility

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users