• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zhain

Zhain

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hello all, recently started a Mesmer, and I really like them.  Their theme, playstyle, etc is something I am really enjoying.  

However any time I have to fight more than one mob at a time, even if they are lower level, I take quite a bit of damage.  An example, the Deeply Tangled Roots story quest for Sylvari, where you escape from the nightmare camp and fight Renvari, I actually died a few times.  Not just downed, completely defeated.  

I am using Sword and Pistol, and Greatsword.  I tend to start off auto attacking with GS, spawning a berzerker, throwing mirror blade, switching weapon sets, iDuelist, etc.  However I find that if they attack my clones, I get next to no damage off and can't shatter for Distortion.  If they attack me, I have to burn my dodges, Decoy, and heal at a frightening rate.

I am currently Level 11 and having a real tough time.  Any advice?  If fighting multiple mobs is it better to spawn all your clones on one mob?  When?  I can't really let the clones tank for me (die next to instantly) nor can I tank for my clones.  Also how do you deal with ranged vs melee?  Said Nightmare Court mobs can sometimes be two Courtiers and a Nightmare Hound, etc.

#2 Necro

Necro

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

yea it's difficult particularly in the beginning. i find for aoe's the staff is absolutely required.

#3 SK3PT3K

SK3PT3K

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DC]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Sword/Pistol I find to be more of a high damage single target weapon set, you might want to try replacing that a staff. The staff will give you decent AoE attacks from bounces, plus Chaos Storm, but more importantly you get very good defensive skills. You'll have Chaos Armor which is amazing, plus Phase Retreat to put alot of distance betwen the mob. I don't know what utility skill you use, but the Mesmer has a lot of early level escape options. I personal use Blink and that keeps me safe 99% of the time.

#4 bonn

bonn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

I use staff and sword/focus most of the time and I'm generally quite happy with my AoE damage output.

#5 Takato

Takato

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1475 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Sword kinda hits up to like 3 foes, saying its primarily single target is false.
I do sugget focus off hand, the speed boost and into the void are invaluable tools, coupled with sword 3 and iwarden, damage racks up crazy.
Also, blurred frenzy obvious big attacks and bring the tier 1 dualist major trait that reduces sword cool down by 20%, I know you're only 11, but if you like sword you will love sword after.

Another tip, against multiple foes, I like to abuse our stupidly broken down state, the damage skill 1/3 does is stupid and chances are if you purposely let an enemy near death or at least low, you can drop him and get back up.

Good luck! This is comming from a 38 mesmer that thus far had no real issues in pve lol. I also do you staff though, something you might want to consider.

Edited by Takato, 30 August 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#6 Zhain

Zhain

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

What would people recommend as far as traits/gear?  It sounds like the Precision line is a pretty sure pick, then what else?

#7 Chronos12360

Chronos12360

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

Ive recently switched in gs + staff with feedback utility or chaos storm down berzerker doing confusing bolts plus a well placed mind stab and everything is dead or atleast close to it.  Plus I love phase retreating out of either combo field to give chaos armor.  On a seperate not the signet hat gives illusions health amd active recharge shatters is good as well with this combo. Shattering along with the combo above wrecks waves of mobs .

#8 jogq

jogq

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

I'm using GS as a main and I seem to be doing rather well against groups of mobs, can handle around 3 at a time with little trouble.
Ranged attackers are problematic, so as the poster above said I recommend using the feedback utility skill against them.

Early on I defend domination as the trait to use, its more reliable IMO for lower levels than duelist as a form of increasing damage.

#9 Phoebe Ascension

Phoebe Ascension

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

Staff is a great defensive skill set. Setup (well place, so it hits all enemies) Chaos storm. If there's room try to make the end of circle hit them and the front, just you so there's still 'space' between you and mob, and yet you profit from the boons as well. If not possible, stay at safe distance. The moment it is set up, run into chaos stom, and immediately use phase retreat. This give chaos armor, wich almost always blocks the next attack, and give plenty other nice boons. This gives you some time to build up damage or illusions. If that isnt enough, use the actual chaos armor skill (not the combo you just performed - Chaost storm > Phase retreat). This will buy even more time. At this stage, all your skills should be on cool down. Even spam the first staff skill for the bleed/burn effect, but this might not be the best option. Instead switch weapons, and use some burst skills there. Like skill 3 of sceptor, or 4 of pistal offhand. Then if mob is below 25% health, and you see they might die because mob, shatter them. With a bit of luck, staff skills are off cool down and you can repeat the above. Only chaos armor will still be in cd (long cd 40 sec). Maybe chaos storm too, but phase retreat not! I love the low cd on it. It's a very good survival skill. It buys time, wich is exactly what mesmer needs.

At low lvls there quite some good passive minor traits (5 points) that are very usefull. Add the bonus stats on top of it and you got a winner. Inspiriation for instance is good, but illusions, chaos, domination also. I prefer chaos thouch at lvl 10-25. Because with that your staff damage goes quite a bit up, and it's your best weapon imo allround. Because of range, aoe damage, survivability etc. But there's some very good secondary weapons. Like GS, or sceptor/pistal combo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: squishy, mesmer, pve, aoe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users