• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

The damage to the economy just days after launch.

economy gems trading post anet buy sell conversion inflation exploit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wtfpeople

wtfpeople

Vanguard Scout

• New Members
  • 313 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

We all know that the economy has been damaged so the question is by how much?

1) Gold was purchasable via the Black Lion Trading Post conversion since day one. This allows anyone to buy gold and lots of it. The current rates (which have been the same since launch) are about $50 USD = 22g.

How much gold did people buy? I can see someone spending $100-$500 dollars and buying 100's of gold day one. I mean, there was absolutely no limit to this? The rates havnt even changed since beta.

2) There have been multiple exploits, many of which are still in effect, just in different forms. I know there was item dupe, and now, there are "karma conversions" one of which was recently patched. Currently, there is still a "Karama Exploit" (dont bother asking) which allows players to convert Karma at a rate of 10,000 = 5g.

If I have 20,000 karma at level 40, I can see a level 80 having 5x as much as I do. If that level 80 chooses to exploit this, thats 50g entering the economy, hopefully its converted to gems so we the players dont have to suffer much of a backlash.

So, as this is a speculative thread, how much damage has been done? I cant help but wonder if there is a connection between the following...

-Item/Karma dupes
-Leveling exploits
-Availability of funds at day one for "ambitious" individuals
-BLT/Mail going down

-The arrival of gold spam in game.
Going pink Asuras, or going home. (Even the male ones)

#2 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Prices will fluctuate quite a bit the first couple of weeks, but they will stabilize. I don't think the inflation will be too bad. There will be a surge in supply early on (not everyone's a crafter), and the Trading Post is across all servers, so it's not like a single group can monopolize a particular market.

Add to that the fact that there is very limited use for gold, where it will see the majority of its use in WvW which is a total money sink, and I think we'll be fine.

#3 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3928 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Most of the gold there is coming from other people buying gems. So nothing's being inflated. You also have no metrics on how much people are even buying anyway.

Leveling exploits are miniscule in the long run. People will be 80 in under a month, hopefully the game will last longer than that.

I'm skeptical players have even found the best items worth duping yet. The skins that take piles of dungeon tokens and ground karma to buy. So the long-run impact here will be minimal assuming the exploit does not open up again.

#4 ShezuTsukai

ShezuTsukai

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Soul]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Anet is currently banning and removing gold gotten from karma exploits.

So I'm wondering if putting a hold on player to player trading through either the Black Lion or mail is not a means to control the economy at least at the start. That way all these gold farms can be vetted and removed before they have a major impact. And when trading does start it will be more legit.

Just a thought.

#5 Malice

Malice

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

1) Gold means very little since it's very easy to get, and cheap. 22g for $50 means those with a day job can easily miss out on a nights drinking and be very active in the TP instead.

Overall the damage is minimal. Nothing of note has been found yet anyway. Has anyone even come across a red/purple item yet? These will be the only items worth selling in the TP. Green/blues are far too common to be worth any decent amount of coin. They will end up as versions of GW purple items....merch/salvage or forge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy, gems, trading, post, anet, buy, sell, conversion, inflation, exploit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users