• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Making Combat Decisions, How do YOU do it?

combat conditions boons utility skills

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Covaloch

Covaloch

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hi all, as my post title states, I'm in a bit of a bind.

I've found myself (and I believe many people have also voiced their concerns and opinions on this) to be guessing on what ability I should use next during combat.

For example, I play a Guardian. I have utility skills that absorb conditions from my allies and place boons on myself. That's all fine and dandy, but when do I use it?

Some conditions like burning have obvious visual queues, but for others I find myself guessing if they've got conditions on them or if it was a self-boon (ie Guardians who use torch can set themselves aflame which sorta looks like they're burning).

That's just too much information that I need to use it efficiently that sometimes I just give up and use that utility every time its up. (ie button mashing)

I'm used to making decisions based on information, and I find there to be be too many things to take note of, and yet the informations is very hard to sieve through in the heat of the battle.

There are times when I don't even bother using my utilities and just focus on weapon skills.

#2 mithie

mithie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

For example, I play a Guardian. I have utility skills that absorb conditions from my allies and place boons on myself. That's all fine and dandy, but when do I use it?

On recharge. Chances are if there's something putting out conditions, somebody somewhere near you will have it.

#3 Covaloch

Covaloch

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

View Postmithie, on 31 August 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

On recharge. Chances are if there's something putting out conditions, somebody somewhere near you will have it.

Exactly thus why I stated that I just gave up trying to confirm anything and just spam the skill every time its up. I feel there's a lack of depth but i'm not sure how it can be improved.

#4 sagasaint

sagasaint

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

View Postmithie, on 31 August 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

congratulations on blowing your skill when someone had only 1 condition, and letting him enjoy a stack of 25 more that he will got 2 seconds later

#5 mithie

mithie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

View Postsagasaint, on 31 August 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

congratulations on blowing your skill when someone had only 1 condition, and letting him enjoy a stack of 25 more that he will got 2 seconds later

If you keep thinking that way, then you'll never use your skill.

It's not like the condi-removal is targeted so you need to use it on one particular person; just mash it on recharge and someone somewhere will benefit.

Sure, if you're on ventrilo, or if this is an organized instance, then yes, someone will be calling for condi-removals, and that's when you'd be using it. But outside of an organized party, you simply don't have enough information to calculate when the optimal time to use it should be.

Generally, in pve, the mobs don't coordinate condition overloads, so the conditions come at more or less a constant pace. That means, if you someone's getting stacked with conditions, it's probably because you were dumb enough to sit there and let them stack up rather than removing them as quickly as you can.

Best to use it as soon as it'll have an effect, and focus instead on killing the thing that's putting out the conditions.

Edited by mithie, 31 August 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#6 Dulu

Dulu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

If WoW did one thing right, it was making the debuffs incredibly easy to spot.

Everyone who played past level 20 knows what fear, polymorph, and daze look like.

A.net could use a little more definition when it comes to buffs and debuffs.

#7 Wendy Wammo

Wendy Wammo

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostCovaloch, on 31 August 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Hi all, as my post title states, I'm in a bit of a bind.

I've found myself (and I believe many people have also voiced their concerns and opinions on this) to be guessing on what ability I should use next during combat.

Some conditions like burning have obvious visual queues, but for others I find myself guessing if they've got conditions on them or if it was a self-boon (ie Guardians who use torch can set themselves aflame which sorta looks like they're burning).

That's just too much information that I need to use it efficiently that sometimes I just give up and use that utility every time its up. (ie button mashing)

I'm used to making decisions based on information, and I find there to be be too many things to take note of, and yet the informations is very hard to sieve through in the heat of the battle.

There are times when I don't even bother using my utilities and just focus on weapon skills.

Invite them to your party. Do not use "Simple Party UI" in Options Menu. That way you will see up to 4 Party Members, their boons, their conditions, their passive signets/virtues/attunements, or whatever else the have on. When you see conditions piling up on one(or more) party members and their HP going low, pull the conditions off and dodge backwards to get out of combat and focus on removing the junk that transferred to you.

There isnt an exact time to use your skill at "optimum effect" because you cannot guess what the enemies will do next. Their whole next move might change completely due to you pulling off 20 stacks of Vulnerability off of your ally(that is them ganking you instead of your ally now), while this is only 1 condition you are removing from one person.

Put it this way: 5 people have 1 stack of bleeding each is harder to remove than 1 person having 5 stacks of bleeding, so even if you pulled 1 condition each from 2 allies, the fact that they dont have that condition anymore(or will not have another stack of the same condition) is good enough to use your skill. If you think "ohh, but they are going to apply that condition again, let's wait and remove it all" type of thing, then for every second you wait, your ally is getting closer to death. If their plans change and they do not inflict the condition again, that's a few seconds worth of condition damage your ally took due to inaction, as well as a few more seconds of recharge wasted as you activate your skill later. If you activate Save Yourselves now, you get is back in 60seconds. If you leave Save Yourselves as is waiting to use it for 30seconds, that's still 60seconds you have to wait after an extra 30seconds of waiting while not using it. If you keep doing that, that's quite a few Save Yourselves that you did not use, thus quite a lot of Boon seconds you did not get, and a lot of condition removal you did not do. That is less effective than using it on recharge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combat, conditions, boons, utility skills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users