-- Introduction --
Hey all, my name's Silven, this is my first post here on Guru.
Quick History: Played GW1 at a high level around 2010, played loads of GW2 tournaments with my team [nD] on the SoS server. I also stream =)
Ever since the start of GW2 (the first beta's) I've been more interested in the Guardian's large spike potential, rather than it's ability to run defensive builds. I saw that through traits and burning the Guardian definitely had a lot of untapped potential, taking this in I decided to run sword spike builds from the start.
I've included a quick guide to setting up and playing my build, and I know it's still a while from being completely optimal, but now there's much more of a chance to play and I would really like everybody's feedback!! And hopefully we both may learn something, enjoy!
-- Build --
- Zeal: 10 - II
- Radiance: 30 - II, X, XI
- Valor: 30 - I, X, XII
- Honour: 0
- Virtues: 0
Knights Amulet with Berserker Jewel
- Signet of Resolve
- Smite Condition
- Judge's Intervention
- "Stand Your Ground!"
- Renewed Focus
- Sword/Focus (Air, Accuracy)
- Scepter/Shield (Bloodlust, Bloodlust)
- Valor V > Valor X
Amazing condition removal over Amazing spike, if Contemplation don't bring V.
- Honour II > Zeal II
Shout recharge is excellent support while sacrificing a lot of damage, in team fights not as important.
- Contemplation of Purity > "Stand Your Ground!"
The ability to remove covered poison, bleeding or immob instantly is amazing (especially the poison to heal).
- Hammer of Wisdom > "Stand Your Ground!"
Knockdown with 2.5k extra damage on your spike (more compact than bane but more predictable, also consider Virtue V or Zeal VI) and control!
- Bane Signet > "Stand Your Ground!"
Knock down with ~1k damage on your spike.
- Tome of Courage > Renewed Focus
Use ToC with SYG, an amazing support skill!
- Greatsword (Bloodlust) > Scepter/Shield
High AoE damage, punishes enemies for balling and nice Jump and control, way less utility and defence though.
-- Usage --
- Your main spike is:
Virtue of Justice, Zealot's Defence, Smite Condition, Judge's Intervention all at the same time
- This can be improved by:
- Smite and/or chains of light before your main spike
- Shield of Wrath before your main spike then spiking just as it ends for the 4-5k bonus damage
- Shield of Judgement after the main spike
- "Stand Your Ground!" to inflict retaliation if they're trying to damage you too
- Shield of Wrath is your best defensive skill, blocks the next 3 attacks and the is removed, but it blocks any attacks while the animation is up (may be a bug, I don't know), so you can effectively block a lot more. Explodes for 3-5k damage when blocks aren't used up.
- Chaining blocks and blinds is extremely easy!
- Your first aegis
- Ray of Judgement
- Flashing blade
- Virtue of Courage
- Shield of Wrath
- To stop people stomping your allies, use shield of absorption to knock them back soon as they jump into the air (you can also spike them and either kill them or force them off the player)
- To get your own teams' stomps use SYG, a lot of the enemies can also be blinded by virtue of justice or blocked by courage.
Warrior: When they hold the hammer back use your virtue/SYG
Guardian: If you have the reflexes to use it as they use bubble do it otherwise just use your block/SYG when they stop attacking (if they don't attack just use it straight away)
Elementalist: They can't stop you =)
Necromancer: When the green symbol above their head appears use your virtue/SYG
Ranger: Use your virtue/SYG when they stop attacking or soon as you can if they don't attack
Mesmer : They can't stop you =)
Thief : When they teleport instantly use Judge's Intervention and you'll stomp them anyway, it's really sick!
Engineer: Use y our block/SYG when they stop attacking
- When facing burst builds use, Shield of Wrath or Renewed Focus to block it completely. Flashing Blade or JI to teleport out of the burst. SYG to break stun and retaliate the damage. Shield of Judgement to give yourself protection. Or V of courage to block the stun. You can also just spike them back with retal and easy win. (you can also use the scepter to just stay out of range vs a war for example) =)
- When facing bunker builds, pressure them as much as possible. Spike then flashing blade to keep up with them and just keep dealing damage, when you see the tell tale signs of a heal skill (same for almost all classes) use SoA to knock them back, this can either kill them, make them panic, or make them run away.
-- Videos --
Here's my stream channel:
And here's the youtube video!
Here's a quick 1v1 vs a Warrior who wanted to play against me.
-- Conclusion --
Here are my other builds:
Crit Mid Bunker
Standard Mid Bunker
Khylo Mid Bunker
http://gw2skills.net...Nudk1s Y8x jZEA
Obviously their are a lot of optionals, these are builds I'm going to be doing a guide for later on, and there are a few more!
Any requests for more videos I'm definitely up for, and I have a fair few uploaded!
Thanks for watching!
Edited by JaxSilven, 19 December 2012 - 01:13 PM.