Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

What would blue mace lady(Guardian) bring to the table?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1579 replies to this topic

#241 Invis

Invis

    Banned

  • Banned
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

How do you think the BML will use it's weapons differently from the warrior.
(when I say this I mean the weapons that they probably will have in common.)

What I mean is that the warrior uses a mace for slow but huge attacks that stun, etc.

How do you think the BML will use the mace?

Or for the greatsword(assuming the BML wields it of course), we know the the warrior uses it for sweeping AoE attacks while "gliding" accross the battle field.

How do you think the BML will use the greatsword?(AGAIN, assuming that she does wield it)

Or you can pick a different weapon that you think the BML will wield in common with the warrior and compare.

And yeah you dn't neccessarily HAVE to talk about weapons you think the warrior and BML will have in common.
So, you can go ahead and talk about how the BML wields the staff, focus or wand(Assuming she does) I guess but everyone here has a general idea about that.
Physical weapons are a little harder to guess however.

P.S. Was going to make a new thread but I figured i could just post this here so it will help contribute to the thread.

Edited by Invis, 05 October 2010 - 09:28 PM.


#242 Eramon

Eramon

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2018 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Dinner. And then she needs to wash dishes and do my laundry.

Just kidding.

Invis said:

How do you think the BML will use it's weapons differently from the warrior.
(when I say this I mean the weapons that they probably will have in common.)

What I mean is that the warrior uses a mace for slow but huge attacks that stun, etc.

How do you think the BML will use the mace?

Or for the greatsword(assuming the BML wields it of course), we know the  the warrior uses it for sweeping AoE attacks while "gliding" accross  the battle field.

How do you think the BML will use the greatsword?(AGAIN, assuming that she does wield it)

To be honest I suspect them to be similar. I don't think they would change it. If they did, it wouldn't make sense.. to me, at least. I don't know what they'd change it to.

#243 Linkzero

Linkzero

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

General: I think the BML will generally speaking have more of a damage over time skill set rather than direct damage skill set, skills will probably stun or leave enemies vulnerable, conditions leaving them open to more damage.  Greater focus on boons (mainly from utility skills, possibly off-hand skills too), which actually makes them akin to dervishes from GW1 and their focus on enchantments.

Weapons: If I were to hazard a guess, I reckon lore-wise BML class will probably be against using bladed weapons/weapons that draw blood, but will have some more magic/casting related access than regular warriors.  But they won't be the 'weapon master' class that warriors are.  I would say they'd have access to: Hammers, Staves, Maces (main & off-hand), Scepters (main hand only), Focuses, Shields, possibly Warhorns/Torches.

Primary mechanic: This is pretty open speculation, but as people have previously speculated, BML will probably buff/boon orientated.  Therefore, my proposition for the BML mechanic is similar to the Diablo 3 rune mechanic.  Similar to elementalist attunements, BML's will have different 'prayer lines', which will augment their weapon skill bar in different ways:
'Healing Prayer' - while in this prayer line, all healing skills will grant BML's a divine favour like bonus of healing.  Perhaps any smite/holy damage skills can instead heal allies if targeted.  Passive bonus of small health regeneration also occurs.
'Protection Prayer' - while in this prayer line, all protection skills will give better damage reduction.  Passive bonus of small damage reduction also occurs.
'Smiting Prayer' - while in this prayer line, all damage dealing skills will have an added bonus of holy damage.  Perhaps even healing skills turn into smite skills when used against enemies.  Passive bonus of holy damage to nearby enemies when skills are cast.
Other possibly prayer lines based on professions other than monk could be some boon-related prayer line (grants bonus health & energy when boons end, similar to mysticism for dervishes in GW1, passive bonus of longer enchantments), pious-haste related prayer line (kind of like fast-casting for GW1 mesmers, perhaps focused on reducing cooldown times, passive bonus of increased movement speed), zeal-energy related prayer line (similar to some paragon chants which grant energy bonuses when allies use skills).

#244 Amannelle

Amannelle

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7467 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

Eramon said:

Dinner. And then she needs to wash dishes and do my laundry.

You're totally my favorite person right now... xD xD


I think she's going to be best a defending! :D I can totally see them making up the frontlines.

#245 ZenRgy

ZenRgy

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

Proactive team support while still being a viable combat choice. Anet has gone on and on about how proactive support is better than reactive, this is probably (read: I hope) the class that will do it.

#246 Dastion

Dastion

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1071 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:07 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what GW2 does with the profession that will fit the niche of ex-monks.  I almost always play healers or support so GW2 is going to be very different for me in actually having other options or not focusing on that role.  If the Mesmer doesn't make it into the game, I'll definitely be looking at this profession.

#247 Eramon

Eramon

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2018 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Amannelle said:

You're totally my favorite person right now... xD xD


I think she's going to be best a defending! :D I can totally see them making up the frontlines.

LOL. Thanks. :p

I had to do it.

Yeah, every class specializes in something. The warrior uses dps but can "offtank" if you want to use that term. BML will be defensive but can dish out dps as well.

#248 Age

Age

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

Why does everyone call this Blue Mace Lady what about Man as the pic maybe female?I would think that males would also be able to choose this.

Personally I prefer Monk.

#249 The Gatecrasher

The Gatecrasher

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Location:Not behind you.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:28 AM

Age said:

Why does everyone call this Blue Mace Lady what about Man as the pic maybe female?I would think that males would also be able to choose this.

Personally I prefer Monk.

Because she is definatley not a guy as most guys dont have melons. She is holding a mace. She is surounded by a blue aura. I rest my case. :zzz:

Posted Image

#250 Age

Age

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

The Gatecrasher said:

Because she is definatley not a guy as most guys dont have melons. She is holding a mace. She is surounded by a blue aura. I rest my case. :zzz:

Posted Image

The Elementalist is female to does that mean they will only be female?I will be playing my Monk btw and yes she is female.

#251 Corsair

Corsair

    Is trivia

  • Super Moderators
  • 5459 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Age said:

The Elementalist is female to does that mean they will only be female?I will be playing my Monk btw and yes she is female.

We call it the BML because we don't have an accepted stand in name for it and that is one of the few pieces of evidence for the profession that we have. We can't call her a Paragon, Paladin, Vanguard, Seraph, Crusader or half a dozen other thigs because not everyone would agree with the name. Whereas BML is more of a description.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.


Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!


#252 Leyana

Leyana

    Breezing through life

  • Moderators
  • 4600 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

Age said:

The Elementalist is female to does that mean they will only be female?I will be playing my Monk btw and yes she is female.

Because people are just referring to the picture for lack of a better name. You could call her the 'Blue Mace Person' if you want to be that PC -_-i. But until ANet releases the proper name for that class, I suspect Blue Mace Lady will stay cause its kinda ingrained into the forum now :D

Edit: Struck by the undead pirate ninja 0.o

#253 Nox

Nox

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

Corsair said:

Feel free to try and carry on. If it strays from civility I will delete the posts.

Do it anyway. The last few posts were off topic.

I also find it hard to see what BML would bring. I thought that archetype was well covered by warriors and their banners and shouts.

Something I find interesting is that one of the only major defensive skill types from GW1 has not made a reappearance - yet - Wards. Perhaps a mechanic overhaul will separate them from banners, wells and shouts.

EDIT: I was reading page 11 as if it were the most recent. oops.

#254 Amannelle

Amannelle

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7467 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:55 AM

Nox said:

I also find it hard to see what BML would bring.

*gasp*

FORCEFIELDS! :D :D :D <3'd that in City of Heroes. xD

#255 Eramon

Eramon

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2018 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:05 AM

Amannelle said:

*gasp*

FORCEFIELDS! :D :D :D <3'd that in City of Heroes. xD

That was my idea for Mesmers. :)

#256 Corsair

Corsair

    Is trivia

  • Super Moderators
  • 5459 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Nox said:

I also find it hard to see what BML would bring. I thought that archetype was well covered by warriors and their banners and shouts.

Something I find interesting is that one of the only major defensive skill types from GW1 has not made a reappearance - yet - Wards. Perhaps a mechanic overhaul will separate them from banners, wells and shouts.

EDIT: I was reading page 11 as if it were the most recent. oops.

Its true that its hard to come up with another heavily armored melee profession, but I think its very possible to. Lets take the concept of a shout and take it a little further, and AoE instant cast effect. To bring it further, lets make it continious and center on the BML. We've changed it's function slightly and created something new. We can call this a command/chant/aura for now, the name is unimportant. Another unique skill type, attacks that go through armor and inflict a condition, call them smites. Hmmm, lets try for the hat trick, a third unique skill type. We already have a PBAoE effect and an attack type, so lets go with something a little more personal. Lets say you get boons and special unique additional effects to your attacks, sort of a cross between stances and preparations. Call them blessings. Finally, the unique mechanic. It has to be something active and something used often/semi often. Hmmm, lets mix the necromancer and elementalist unique mechanics together, call it Fury/Spirit/Morale. What it does is a bar that has natural regeneration and gets extra charge when the player/allies(?) get hit. When activated it changes the weapon skills based on what is currently equipped and gives a few boons to the player/allies(?) and goes down relatively quickly.

I actually kinda like that unique mechanic, it may need some work but its something the others don't have, its active, and I think its interesting...

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.


Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!


#257 Burst Cancel

Burst Cancel

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:49 AM

Corsair said:

snip

So ... we're talkin' D2 paladins with SNK-style rage meter here? :P

Need some Instant Block or Parry mechanic ...

#258 LastDay

LastDay

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1379 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:05 AM

Hmmh yeah I guess auras could fit pretty well.

For example a passive skill that causes you to constantly emit a beneficial aura for you and your allies could be very useful.
Unlike skills that have a small passive effect and a strong effect when activated perhaps auras could be the opposite: Good aura bonus but rather weak activation skill.

This way they'd definitely have a very supportive choice without being just healers or such.

#259 Corsair

Corsair

    Is trivia

  • Super Moderators
  • 5459 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

LastDay said:

Hmmh yeah I guess auras could fit pretty well.

For example a passive skill that causes you to constantly emit a beneficial aura for you and your allies could be very useful.
Unlike skills that have a small passive effect and a strong effect when activated perhaps auras could be the opposite: Good aura bonus but rather weak activation skill.

This way they'd definitely have a very supportive choice without being just healers or such.

The costs of such would have to be balanced accordingly, of course. With the aura I was thinking they would have an upkeep cost to energy, kind of like some enchantments in GW or many buffs in CoX. So you could have multiple auras running at one time, but you will burn through your energy very quickly like that. Generally what I would like to achieve with them.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.


Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!


#260 process.execution

process.execution

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 281 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SOS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Corsair said:

call it Fury/Spirit/Morale. What it does is a bar that has natural regeneration and gets extra charge when the player/allies(?) get hit. When activated it changes the weapon skills based on what is currently equipped and gives a few boons to the player/allies(?) and goes down relatively quickly.
I vote that this mechanism be called "Super Saiyan"! Oh yes I hereby reserve Vegeta as a character name :D

#261 Chacos

Chacos

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

I might have missed something but couldn't she just be a Warrior using a mace and shield? I really do like the idea of a Crusader type class thought.

#262 nurt

nurt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2386 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WIN]

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Chacos said:

I might have missed something but couldn't she just be a Warrior using a mace and shield? I really do like the idea of a Crusader type class thought.

there have been a series of concept sketches released that were all done in a style that's distinct from the rest of their concept art, and each one features a different profession done in it's appropriate color (green ranger, etc).  it's pretty obvious they are part of a set, and so far all the revealed professions are using an image from this set on the professions page on the GW2 site.  

http://www.guildwars...me/professions/

it's just pretty obvious that all the images done in this style 1. are of professions, and 2. are tied to a specific color.  the color may turn out to be different when the class is revealed (the first glimpse of the necro concept art was black), but you can be pretty sure it's not a warrior.  these images are csupposed to give you a feel for the class right away (they are the first thing you see on the prof page), and make each class look distinct.  with the crown and the shield the blue mace lady is giving off a totally different vibe from the warrior.

#263 mysticforce

mysticforce

    Banned

  • Banned
  • 1324 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:57 AM

What we know so far about the Paladin:


Weapons:

2Hander:

*Great Sword
*Staff

1Hander:

*Mace
*Sword
*Shield
*Torch (?)


Magic:
*Protection Prayer


Armor:
*Soldier

#264 Crylos

Crylos

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

We don't really know anything about any "paladin". It's mostly speculation. We saw Logan with a staff and some shield-bubbles around NPCs. That's essencially it. We don't have any concrete facts.

#265 outbreak

outbreak

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

mysticforce said:

What we know so far about the Paladin:


Weapons:

2Hander:

*Great Sword
*Staff

1Hander:

*Mace
*Sword
*Shield
*Torch (?)


Magic:
*Protection Prayer


Armor:
*Soldier
Oh, come on. Arena-net is a little too original to just copy-pasta straight out of DnD

#266 Strill

Strill

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1307 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

outbreak said:

Oh, come on. Arena-net is a little too original to just copy-pasta straight out of DnD

Granted nearly every fantasy MMO is based to some degree on D&D, but what about that proposition reminded you of D&D?  I don't see anything particularly exclusive to D&D there.

#267 mysticforce

mysticforce

    Banned

  • Banned
  • 1324 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

Strill said:

Granted nearly every fantasy MMO is based to some degree on D&D, but what about that proposition reminded you of D&D?  I don't see anything particularly exclusive to D&D there.

Lol all of those are in game names too.

Logan =(New Soldier like each of the trailer heroes been)

he been show with a

(2hander)
Staff
Great Sword (Was shown by another Character with a greatsword and protection prayer)

(1hander)
mace (BML?)
Sword (in trailer Logan has Sword)
Shield (in trailer Logan has Shield)
Torch (In trailer, some class was shown with Torch and Shield in hand. May not be the Paladin though)

(MAGIC)
Protection Prayer (Arena confirmed it to return. also Logan is using it.)

(ARMOR)
Soldier (Logan has Soldier armor)

#268 galactic

galactic

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

anet said that they would have a profession that was good at removing conditions

i cant really see any other profession filling that roll


im thinking paladin/knight or something along those lines

#269 nurt

nurt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2386 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WIN]

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

galactic said:

anet said that they would have a profession that was good at removing conditions

i cant really see any other profession filling that roll


im thinking paladin/knight or something along those lines

i know warriors, and i think necros, also have condition removal.

#270 mysticforce

mysticforce

    Banned

  • Banned
  • 1324 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

I have a problem with the GW2 Profession theories.

What kind of class is this with the shield and cloth?
http://www.guildwars...5&pictureid=619

http://www.guildwars...5&pictureid=578