9 replies to this topic

#1 wandering vagabond

wandering vagabond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Server:Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I really like the guardian so far, but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out the class. I'm not high level on any class yet, I've been playing around with a variety of alts to test the waters, they did such a good job with this game that all the classes feel fun to me, but I am a real sucker for paladin type classes, which the guardian basically is.

The problem is when I've played other classes, like thief, elementalist, ranger, etc. it has seemed very easy to determine builds on my own, but I don't seem to "get" the guardian. My guardian is my highest level character right now at level 28 and I'm just about to head into the third human area, I've got 10 in Radiance and 8 in Honor right now because I was told just about every guardian maxes Radiance in most builds and that going up to 10 honor or so in the early PvE game is important for some added HP, but after this I don't really know where to build my character at all.

It seems like the guardian can be so good at so many different things that it seems overwhelming to me. I've searched the forums for PvE leveling builds and even then it seems so many people are constantly suggesting so many builds. I know I could just faceroll my keyboard and get to 80, but I wouldn't learn anything treating the guardian like a "whack it until it dies" warrior. I'm not looking for a cookie cutter per se, just something balanced and good for PvE leveling that will help me get a better grasp on this class. Any suggestions for someone who wants to main this class, but is generally a bit lost as to where to go with it?

#2 Yxoque

Yxoque

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

I feel the Guardian is pretty balanced for leveling content, in that every playstyle works for leveling. I'm around the same level as you and I mostly use Greatsword and Sword/Shield, but other weapons work as well.
Radiance is a good trait-line to pick for damage, since it's less focused on one aspect than the Zeal-line.
For me personally I haven't found that I actually needed the extra HP from Honor, so I don't think it's mandatory. (I only picked it up because I wanted Superior Aria.)

I really think that you can just pick traits that suit your playstyle. Just pick what you want to do and build around that.

Edited by Yxoque, 01 September 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#3 Critus

Critus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GODS]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I have a level 36 Norn guardian, what works best for me at the moment is a Mace/Torch combo. It gives me the DPS needed to run through mobs and at the same time i can take on about 3 regular monsters of my level without really breaking a sweat. As my secondary set i keep a sword/Focus or great sword. If I’m fighting tough mobs or mobs that have a lot of CC i'd go with the Sword/Focus 2ndary if not a lot of cc then take the Great sword and just mash through everything.
The guardian great sword skills i feel have a lot of synergy together. Not many weapons have this from my experience. Run into a group press 5 and pull the monsters in Press 2 and then Spin to win.

For traits i went with virtues for the group play  and zeal. In the 1st zeal i would get fiery wrath. With this combo your primary source of damage is burning so that just ups it up a level. Also a side note; if you are running the Mace/Torch combo, your #4 skill can be activated while you have your counter up and are waiting for the attack. So basically you can have your counter up and still be damaging the enemy just for standing next to them. If you time it correctly you can do some burning damage, counter and then throw the torch at them to do even more damage. Also I would recommend going into Valor as well and get the Defender's Flame, Which burns enemies whenever you block (#3 on mace or #5 on focus, or your F3 Virtue)

This is the way i play the guardian so far, hope it helps.

Also i forgot to add, Make sure you get "Save Yourself" its prabobly my favorite non elite skill in the game, you get 7 Boons and you transfer all conditions from your allies to yourself( you still get the boons even if there are no conditions).

#4 wandering vagabond

wandering vagabond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I should explain also that so far I have simply equipped every Signet I had available because they all give passive benefits and are straight forward. I currently use a GS and sword/focus as my sets, while I aesthetically prefer the shield, I think the focus is a little better for solo questing. I will blink in with my sword/focus, use zealot's defense, then pop the two focus skills and swap to my GS and do a standard rotation with that.

I suppose you can read that and say "nothing wrong with that, he's doing fine" and I suppose you'd be correct, it's just with all this talk of "spirit builds" and "retaliation builds" and pseudo-spell casting builds is where I am getting lost. I kinda want to do that stuff but it's a bit intimidating and I'm not sure I have the gear for it.

As well, I tried WvW a bit and had fun, but when the fight got very large I found myself pretty lost and unable to do much of anything because there was so much magic spam and it seemed the other classes all had ranged options to switch to. I know the guardian's option is to go scepter or staff and do medium-range stuff whilst supporting allies, but it also seems as if that is pretty gimped unless you were already running a specific build for it.

What I'm getting at is a thief or ranger could be built for damage and then simply run one melee set and one ranged set, for example. As a guardian, you don't change into ranged DPS really, you change into something that relies on buffing and support with ranged attacks being a secondary focus, but that playstyle requires different trait trees to be effective.

#5 Yxoque

Yxoque

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

At this point (and your level) you shouldn't be too worried about "builds" and stuff. You'd have to be trying to do something wrong. Just test out different skills to see what you like. If you like using Signets, it might be worth taking the traits that support that (I think it's in Radiance, so you're doing fine)

Builds are really just a way of focusing on something. A burn build will try and do as much burning damage as possible, a Spirit Weapons build will try to get the most out of Spirit Weapons, a Retaliation build will make sure that attacking them will result in a world of pain...
The game seems to support a wide variety of builds so, as I said above, you don't need to worry. Play whatever you think is fun and if you need guidance, that's what the forums are for. Also, don't fret too much about the stats on your gear now. They're not really high enough to make a serious impact, I think.

As for WvWvW, I prefer support-type builds, so it's not as much an issue for me. If you're running a more offensive build, I advice the following: Pick a Scepter and a Focus or Shield in one weapon set, and Sword/Greatsword/Hammer in the other set. For the big spammy fights, you hold back and just fire away with the Scepter. The Scepter is actually pretty good at what it does (just very boring) and most people aren't moving enough so you're projectiles will hit and the AoE will do it's thing.
As soon as you see an opportunity (The AoE is lessening, enemies are coming loose from the big group, you see moment to flank), you switch to your melee weapon and storm in and do your thing. You need to be careful and make sure you'll not get nuked in seconds, but you can make a difference. Take down individuals who have gotten loose from the group, or AoE and control the enemies clumped together. Just make sure you have ways of retreating, because if you make a mistake, you're dead.
Melee in WvWvW isn't optimal, but it's playable.

#6 Critus

Critus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Kind of what hte person about said , also i personally am not a fan of the spirit weapons. They work well in sPVP and 1 on 1. In PVE their cooldown is way too long to be effective.
Also try stuff out, your worst case scenario is you will die a few times and have to pay like 50C to repair your armor. I fell in love with the mace/torch combo and is prabobly all i roll right now on the guardian. Just gotta find what works best for you. Also traits are not a big deal at this time. What i find is that i dont have the money to buy the next trait book so im just putting points into w/e intill i get the money :P

#7 wandering vagabond

wandering vagabond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostYxoque, on 01 September 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

snip

Ah, thanks for the good advice. That kind of simplifies things, I also didn't think the scepter was very good, but I only used it at like level 5 to unlock the skills for it and then never touched it again. I think I will try your idea of scepter/focus and GS in WvW next time I play it.

View PostCritus, on 01 September 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Kind of what hte person about said , also i personally am not a fan of the spirit weapons. They work well in sPVP and 1 on 1. In PVE their cooldown is way too long to be effective.
Also try stuff out, your worst case scenario is you will die a few times and have to pay like 50C to repair your armor. I fell in love with the mace/torch combo and is prabobly all i roll right now on the guardian. Just gotta find what works best for you. Also traits are not a big deal at this time. What i find is that i dont have the money to buy the next trait book so im just putting points into w/e intill i get the money :P

Same here on the money, I end up feeling quite broke in this game due to the trading post being down so much! Also I tinkered with spirit weapons about 20 minutes ago and they were quite strong, but you're right about the cooldowns making you feel locked in and dependent on those, right now I think I much prefer 3 signets + save yourselves. I believe spirit weapons could be really great if you focused a build entirely on them, though.

But yeah I will take the advice here and just focus on playing and enjoying myself for now. Thanks!

#8 Critus

Critus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postwandering vagabond, on 01 September 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Ah, thanks for the good advice. That kind of simplifies things, I also didn't think the scepter was very good, but I only used it at like level 5 to unlock the skills for it and then never touched it again. I think I will try your idea of scepter/focus and GS in WvW next time I play it.

Same here on the money, I end up feeling quite broke in this game due to the trading post being down so much! Also I tinkered with spirit weapons about 20 minutes ago and they were quite strong, but you're right about the cooldowns making you feel locked in and dependent on those, right now I think I much prefer 3 signets + save yourselves. I believe spirit weapons could be really great if you focused a build entirely on them, though.

But yeah I will take the advice here and just focus on playing and enjoying myself for now. Thanks!

If you want spirit weapon based build try it in sPVP works pretty well, you can pretty much hold your own against 2 people if youre any good. Basically go to a point and stick to it like a leach and never give it up :P

#9 CrystallineDIVA

CrystallineDIVA

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

You seem pretty eager to gain skill at the almighty guardian class. In my (arrogant) opinion you go one of either two ways: Offensive or maga supportive,
Firstly you would like to gain massive burning power. Go massivly into burning duration/condi-damage. (pick up burning virtues and the aegis-burning trait) Go euqipmentwise for burning duration etc.

Secondly you would like to create a mega surviving guardian who is able to create farther survivability for his teammates. Go for massiv self-healing and boons that you can apply to teammates. (In my aO shouts define the best way to perform so). You will be able to survive a lot of (sorry) shit as you encounter hard enemies whilst performaing harsh support.(Note: Go for Virtues and Honor)

Either way you will perform very well as your teammates willnot expect you to go either way. Do as you like mate.
DIVA

(Post Scriptum): If you have any questions, feel free to ask me by mesage. I consider myself being able to give tips to insecure guardians. CHeers..

Edited by CrystallineDIVA, 01 September 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#10 Bromrragon

Bromrragon

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

I agree that u can build a surviving guardian with virtues but honor ( i know it´s great for healing and life)?But valor has also a really great defensive option. I only don´t know the numbers what defense gives to dmg reduction and if it´s worth more then life and the self healing.
Here´s a build i found for with virtues and valor http://gw2skills.net...BXQbB1CueoQSEDB
i really want to test if it´s good in pve (it´s defently not in pvp to obvious reasons) or if urs is better.
And for PvP i know that spirit weapons are good but also their should be a juggernaut build where u can survive evrything and only stand on point. Anyone who has a build for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users