• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Kuskah

Kuskah

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm a Charr engineer so my options are: Supply Crate , Elixir X, Artillery Barrage or Warband Support . Which one is the most useful for PvE? (Alternatively Mortar and Charrzooka, which are fairly expensive though)

#2 Alberel

Alberel

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I can't speak for the charr racial elites, although generally racials are inferior to profession skills.

Supply crate seems to be the 'general use' elite for the engineer as it offers CC, defense and offense all in one package. When fully traited it's actually incredible.

Elixir X is difficult to like for me. It's random, and that makes it unreliable, which is certainly not what you want from an elite skill. The two forms it offers are both useful for point defense though so I'd like to think it has some uses, but I see it as very niche.

Mortar is very useful in large-scale battles (i.e. WvW keep defense and PvE dynamic events) but again beyond that supply crate would be better.

#3 hendel65

hendel65

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Charrzooka sucks, dont get it. it was a big mistake :/

#4 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

supply crate all the way, although I can't speak for racials.

the randomness of elixir x isn't worth it in my experience.  for me it always seemed that the opposite of the transformation I got would be more helpful.

#5 Blizt

Blizt

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I know many aren't gonna like it, but I chose Elixir X.

Reason being while you get 1 of 2 transformations at random, they're pretty similar in features, which are Stability and heavy CC abilities. Bear that in mind and you won't have a problem.

Edited by Blizt, 01 September 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1183 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Get Supply Drop first. It's the most general-use skill of all Elites, and honestly the best "Oh Shit" Button at our disposal.

I thought Elixir X was kinda "meh" on land, but underwater it's pretty boss. Try it out.

Edited by Phineas_Poe, 01 September 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#7 RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostPhineas_Poe, on 01 September 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I thought Elixir X was kinda "meh" on land, but underwater it's pretty boss. Try it out.

But if you're udnerwater can't you just grenade spam everything to death in epic trollolol speed? (I'm all for having powerful skills but damn, grenades just feel BROKEN xD - throw an elixir U and Elixir b behind it and veteran? More like... uh... dead... eran)

Edited by RyuujinZERO, 01 September 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#8 Khlaw

Khlaw

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PoE]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Supply crate.  Works underwater, BTW.

#9 Valkyries

Valkyries

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Supply Crate 100%. I don't use anything else.... because this does everything. :)

#10 RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Does anyone know what the Asura defensive and offensive golems are like? - I'd been picking up some random elites now i have the key skills i need.

The Asura combat suit is AWFUL, it's so clunky to manuveur and fight in. Elixir X, was... intresting and fun. But didn't hold a candle to supply crate for actual functionality in a serious battle. Wondering whether to save up for the defensive golem, or go for the offensive golem next

#11 DetectiveJohnKimble

DetectiveJohnKimble

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

Supply Crate is the clear choice for general use. However, I tried out Mortar in WvW and it was actually pretty useful for defending a base. You can just throw it down on top of the wall with all your teammates and AoE blast away the enemy, as well as AoE heal your team taking ranged damage from the enemies on the ground.

#12 Khlaw

Khlaw

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PoE]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

Yeah Charrzooka was a huge letdown.  Damn you, Totalbiscut, I want my points back ;).

#13 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1183 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostRyuujinZERO, on 01 September 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

But if you're udnerwater can't you just grenade spam everything to death in epic trollolol speed? (I'm all for having powerful skills but damn, grenades just feel BROKEN xD - throw an elixir U and Elixir b behind it and veteran? More like... uh... dead... eran)

Have you tried the skill?

Maybe Grenades do more damage, but Elixir X is fun as hell to use. Especially when you become this huge black hole where everything dies in your path. Supply Crate is probably more useful in most situations, but I also care about having fun. And Elixir X is just a "fun" skill to use that is actually pretty damn effective on its own.

Edited by Phineas_Poe, 02 September 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#14 Desert Rose

Desert Rose

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostRyuujinZERO, on 02 September 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

Does anyone know what the Asura defensive and offensive golems are like?
I'm interested in this as well. Anyone has any experience how good the Golems are compared to the Supply Crate?

#15 Stormsoul

Stormsoul

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

i just roll mortar 24/7. it's a little niche in pve but in wvw it's amazing. supply drop is probably better for pve but i don't really find myself getting into situations that my rifle and tool kit can't get me out of, generally.

#16 Scrimps

Scrimps

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

If I am on a boss, I use my Golem. As it does TONS of damage before dying. If I am fighting a group of mobs I use my Supply Crate.

Golem and Supply Crate are by far the two best for Asura.

View PostStormsoul, on 11 September 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

i just roll mortar 24/7. it's a little niche in pve but in wvw it's amazing. supply drop is probably better for pve but i don't really find myself getting into situations that my rifle and tool kit can't get me out of, generally.

Don't get how it's amazing when it does not shoot as far as grenades and does less damage.

View PostDesert Rose, on 11 September 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'm interested in this as well. Anyone has any experience how good the Golems are compared to the Supply Crate?

Golems do a * ton of damage. They also tank. They are the highest damage elite ability we have.

#17 Byles

Byles

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostRyuujinZERO, on 01 September 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

i got the attack golem and it does a respectible amount of damage not sure what the defence is like i presume its just for support. My main problem with the attack golem is its cd in comparison to supply crates they may both be 2 miniutes but its to long and considering like most people say you get cc health and damage its kind of laclustre, its nice for the inital burst but then it seems to have a long cd on its skills

Edited by Byles, 11 September 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#18 Sovis

Sovis

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

As a human engineer I actually use Hounds of Balthazar most of the time running around and in dungeons. They behave pretty well for uncontrolled pets (can't say the same for Mr. Parrot), do great damage, and well, it looks awesome running around with two fiery doggies.

For WvW though, I just use Supply Crate. Nothing like calling down a stunbloc on a horde of enemies xD

#19 Cassell

Cassell

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BOSS]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

I bought them all and I have had differing experiences with each.  I use supply crate as my "normal" skill (ie. not screwing around trying new stuff).  I have tried warband (twice I think) and they just die too fast and have too long a CD to be useful.  Artillery barrage is actually pretty nice, but again has a long CD.  I found it pretty useful while doing the 70+ story quests though.

Charzooka is a ton of fun, I use this in dungeons to pull and to keep stuff away from me (button 2).  It might not be the "best" because it doesn't have medpacks and free turrets but it's fun!

Elixir X I actually enjoy (as long as I don't get whirlwind) and it is quite fun to charge a boss and punch him in the face for the win.

#20 Zenh

Zenh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

Our elite skills need a massive revamp, and I think it'll come eventually.

I would vouch 90% of Engineers are using Supply Crate, and ArenaNet will eventually see the statistic. The other elites are horrible. (I'm not including racials either, those are meant to be inferior)

Mortar has a niche use in WvW but it's not for engineers, it's for your teammates. I'll do far better damage using grenades than Mortar.

Edited by Zenh, 11 September 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#21 TerraHero

TerraHero

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Supply Crate is best Elite. CC, Damage, Healing, turrets that aggro.

If you are a big power-build with Elixir you could use Elixir X efficiently aswell i suppose, but still...Supply Crate.

Mortar is horrible, just horrible. Very níche situation, incase you have an ally that doesnt have its own long-range attack but needs it. And even in that specific situation its not like its suddenly a godly ability, its still just barely average.

For all intent and purpose, we might aswell have only one Elite. I still wish i could get my 30pts for Mortar back.

#22 Ventor

Ventor

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

I like mortars In WvW Because it allows you to give your melee allies something to do while you spam grenades upon the enemy (Effectively doubling your personal effectiveness).
In Spvp I love elixer x. It's a nice fallback skill to have- the randomness is a bit detrimental, but I feel like I get the giant form more than the tornado form when I use it- Which is the form I prefer.
Supply crate is good in pve, but it supplies lots and lots of utility. Recently I've just been using it as an aoe heal in dungeon runs.

#23 ninja_sloth

ninja_sloth

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

I just hit level 30 today and went straight for Elixir X. It's a lot of fun in PvE. It's effectiveness is okay I guess, but not as great as I was expecting from an elite.

I just like turning into a charr version of the incredible hulk and kicking wild animals so hard they fly.

#24 Ruzirekta

Ruzirekta

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Nova]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

Supply crate is by far the most usefull and all round elite skill for engis. All other are situational at best.

#25 Syan_

Syan_

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

PVE = Supply crate, no contest. Heal turret, medkits (its goddamn lightwell all over again trying to get people to run over the damned things) flame turret for your condition builds stacking and the absolutely lifesaving AOE stun on drop.

Think of supply crate as 4 other skills rolled into the price of one, the rest are just mediocre. (elixir X for underwater is awesome though!)  

sPvP (and for roaming wvw) = Elixir X, so much control on the giant form, you can really lock down everything with it and your ranged cowardly engi suddenly becomes this engine of destruction, it throws so many people off.

Why have mortar when you can have a grenade kit? It does more damage, more utility, same range with trait. Gimmick at best,

#26 BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[OTG]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

View Postmatsif, on 01 September 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

supply crate all the way, although I can't speak for racials.

the randomness of elixir x isn't worth it in my experience.  for me it always seemed that the opposite of the transformation I got would be more helpful.

I'm becoming a huge fan of the Supply Crate! It has so much utility and can be a life saver for you especially, along with complementing your small group or fellow players in the area you're fighting in.

#27 Zerphane

Zerphane

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Supply cate seems like the most consistant and useful of the skills, and that's what you need overall

#28 Dabrixmgp

Dabrixmgp

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

I heard the Human hounds were decent.

#29 Mert

Mert

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ICM]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostRyuujinZERO, on 02 September 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

Does anyone know what the Asura defensive and offensive golems are like? - I'd been picking up some random elites now i have the key skills i need.

I haven't got the defensive one myself, though I've seen people use it in Events and it seems to take aggro really well and, from what I could tell at least, it lasted its full duration rather than dying.

I do have the offensive Golem skill though and it's awesome for long fights. It has two main attacks - one is a barrage of lasers that add Chilled and increase in damage with each consecutive hit (at my level the final shot is around 2-3k damage - for comparison my Explosive Shot does around 300, with bleed ticks of around 90).

The second attack is a rocket punch thing (like the golems you use in various Metrica Province quests). It's not as good but does okay while the laser thing is on its ICD.

The only downside is that it's very squishy - if it pulls aggro on a Champion it'll go down in 2-3 hits. However when it dies it does explode in a big AoE that (I think, would have to check when I'm home) knocks back.

#30 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Jar]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Supply crate overall, Elixir X for control, dashing, pure fun or when underwater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users