• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hrost

Hrost

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

This "guide" is by no means finished and is a work in progress. Much will be added to it in the coming days. Suggestions and feedback are always welcome, but please keep it constructive!

Let me just start by saying that every single warrior build can be effective if you do it right (some more than others). A lot of the problem with this game is that people are trying to play it like World of Warcraft. Don't. You can't just stand there and DPS. Almost all your abilities can be cast while moving (with the exception of Kill Shot and Thousands Blades), so movement is the name of the game. You can even kite as a melee. Basically, a lot of the troubles people are having with the game aren't from a certain build being underpowered--it's because they're not going about the game the right way.

Table of Contents:
I. Priorities
II. Stats
III. Traits
IV. Gearing
V. Builds
VI. Tactics

I. Priorities

1. Don't Die.
Duh. You can't do much when dead, even if there is a resurrect mechanic. That takes your teammates away from doing their jobs to res you, and makes you a burden.

2. Don't get hit.
Dodge everything. You don't have a healer. They can't save you for being a baddie who stands in fire anymore. Not only that, swapping to a shield to block can save you. Frequently.

3. Keep things stunned and interrupted.
If it's stunned, it can't move or cast. And that's good. Really good. You have a lot of stuns, knockbacks, and knockdowns. Use 'em.

4. Do as much damage as is humanly possible.
For one of the tankiest classes in Guild Wars 2, warriors can put out a lot of damage. Do so with glee.

5. Peel mobs and players off your squishier teammates.
You are innately tanky and can take a lot more damage than the squishies. They should be kiting and dodging, but if there's more than they can handle, don't be afraid to try and help.

II. Stats

Primary:
Power - Increases damage for all attacks.
Precision - Increases the chance of a critical hit.
Toughness - Increases armor (which defends against direct damage).
Vitality - Increases maximum health.

Secondary:
Boon Duration (Concentration) - Increases duration of boons (buffs) cast by your character.
Burst Damage - Increases damage done by burst skills. (Warrior only)
Condition Damage (Malice) - Increases effect of conditions (debuffs) cast by your character.
Condition Duration (Expertise) - Increases duration of conditions cast by your character.
Critical Damage (Prowess) - Increases the damage multiplier on critical hits.
Healing Power (Compassion) - Increases all healing done by character and improves regeneration.

III. Traits

As a warrior, you have five main trait point trees to add your points to: Strength, Arms, Defense, Tactics, and Discipline. The Strength tree passively scales your power and condition duration, Arms scales precision and condition damage, Defense scales healing and toughness, Tactics scales vitality and boon duration, and Discipline scales critical damage and burst damage.

Each trait tree is made up of three locked bonuses and three selectable bonuses. Each tree has twelve options to choose from.

More coming soon!

IV. Gearing

Coming soon!

V. Builds
Please keep in mind that all "builds" are generic, opinion, and merely "vanilla" and cannot take the place of a good build designed around synergy with your team and play style. Utility abilities can be (and should be) mixed and matched to fit your style.

Glass Cannon Axes - Not recommended unless you're really good at avoiding damage. Scarily high damage; not much in the way of survivability. Frenzy makes you explode if you get hit. Use with caution.

Generic Tanky Hammer (PvP)

Greatsword Burst (PvP) - Pubstomp. Bull Charge-> Frenzy-> Signet-> Thousand Blades = instant 10k damage.

More coming soon!

VI. Tactics

Coming soon!

Whoops, I do believe I posted this in the wrong section. If a mod could be so good as to move it to the PvE section, that would be vunderbar.

Edited by Hrost, 02 September 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#2 Drakojan

Drakojan

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DICE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

This isn't complete, but I stilll like it, I always love these guides and I know I probably will with this one too. Can't wait for you to finish it up :D.

Edited by Drakojan, 01 September 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Morpe

Morpe

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[oGt]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostHrost, on 01 September 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

Let me just start by saying that every single warrior build can be effective if you do it right (some more than others).

It's a nice start of a guide, keep going with it.

Though, the thing I quoted isn't true at all unfortunately:P I tried a few different weapon combinations that is dog as *, and Im sure there's even more than just those few.

#4 Hrost

Hrost

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostMorpe, on 02 September 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

It's a nice start of a guide, keep going with it.

Though, the thing I quoted isn't true at all unfortunately:P I tried a few different weapon combinations that is dog as *, and Im sure there's even more than just those few.
I didn't say optimal. I said effective. I.E, playing a gun warrior in PvP. It isn't smart, nor will you excel. But if you spec right and gear right, you can do it. Hell, if you're good, you might even do well. The way the trait system works, you can honestly spec for everything.

#5 MatchlessGlory

MatchlessGlory

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AC]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostHrost, on 01 September 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

1. Power - It effects everything we do. It effects all of our damage by flat scaling. If you're putting points into power, it can even give you health.

I feel that this is misleading to new players. Power doesn't affect condition damage and also doesn't increase health unless you trait for it.

#6 Hrost

Hrost

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostMatchlessGlory, on 02 September 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

I feel that this is misleading to new players. Power doesn't affect condition damage and also doesn't increase health unless you trait for it.
Which is why I said "if you're putting points into power." But I guess that's not clear enough. Will clear that up.

Also, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power

Each attribute point put into this attribute increases the attack statistic by one, which increases damage for all attacks.

Guess I wasn't clear with that either.

Also, in response to "misleading to new players..." The game's a week old. Everyone's new.

Edited by Hrost, 02 September 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#7 Fekktor

Fekktor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HOT]
  • Server:Kodash

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

This is not a guide or a compendium.

It's just a generic table of content, the priorities are a bad joke, there's a misleading to outright wrong explanation of stats, some confusion on the terms 'affect' and 'effect' and ofc OP's build, which is as good or bad as any random newb's approach to building a warrior.

This probably comes off harsher than it is intended, I just fear the 'information' conveyed here might hurt more than it helps. Even if it's a wip it should at least contain some useful information.

It's strange, that there is no good warrior guide to this day, apart from the one on gs cheese. My theory is, that in the current state of the game, you can either pubstomp with gs, scrub around with some random build like OP's or mine or get into serious tPvP where you'll adjust your build to the other 4 and there's no template to follow (making guides kinda pointless).

Warrior really seems to excel at this team build versatility, being able to successfully go roaming, point defend, support or anything inbetween to accomodate your team's needs. This is a good thing I guess.

edit:

View PostHrost, on 02 September 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Also, in response to "misleading to new players..." The game's a week old. Everyone's new.

It might come as a surprise, but some people have been around for quite a while already (e.g. bwe).

Edited by Fekktor, 02 September 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#8 Hrost

Hrost

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostFekktor, on 02 September 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

This is not a guide or a compendium.

It's just a generic table of content, the priorities are a bad joke, there's a misleading to outright wrong explanation of stats, some confusion on the terms 'affect' and 'effect' and ofc OP's build, which is as good or bad as any random newb's approach to building a warrior.

This probably comes off harsher than it is intended, I just fear the 'information' conveyed here might hurt more than it helps. Even if it's a wip it should at least contain some useful information.

It's strange, that there is no good warrior guide to this day, apart from the one on gs cheese. My theory is, that in the current state of the game, you can either pubstomp with gs, scrub around with some random build like OP's or mine or get into serious tPvP where you'll adjust your build to the other 4 and there's no template to follow (making guides kinda pointless).

Warrior really seems to excel at this team build versatility, being able to successfully go roaming, point defend, support or anything inbetween to accomodate your team's needs. This is a good thing I guess.

edit:

It might come as a surprise, but some people have been around for quite a while already (e.g. bwe).

No, no. It's not too harsh and I welcome your criticism. I agree with damn near everything you said, and that's why this is a work in progress. Research is to be done, builds tested and compiled, and meta to be considered. Honestly? I told my guildies I'd make this, but I knew I'd never get to work on it if I didn't post it in a public place at risk of humiliation.

While I understand that there are no set builds in this game, I do feel as though it's a good idea to give players that are inexperienced a good starting point so that they don't feel confused, outclassed and freaked out by all the options.

Unfortunately, I also started writing this while tired, so allow me time to clean it up. ;)

Edited by Hrost, 02 September 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#9 Fekktor

Fekktor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HOT]
  • Server:Kodash

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostHrost, on 02 September 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I also started writing this while tired, so allow me time to clean it up. ;)

Ofc! I think we can all share this feeling during these launch days...xD

Don't know, if you lurk in the thief forums, too - if not, you should definitely check this guide out for reference:
http://www.guildwars...hief-guide-wip/

It's just a stellar guide and does an amazing job on pointing out the many choices, that can be made when building a thief.

#10 Hrost

Hrost

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostFekktor, on 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Ofc! I think we can all share this feeling during these launch days...xD

Don't know, if you lurk in the thief forums, too - if not, you should definitely check this guide out for reference:
http://www.guildwars...hief-guide-wip/

It's just a stellar guide and does an amazing job on pointing out the many choices, that can be made when building a thief.
Ooh. Thanks. That's definitely what I'm going for. Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stats, gear, build, builds, gearing, tips, information, how-to

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users