• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Anyone's password not working? ...And is this a sign of being hacked?

password login hacked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jd091

jd091

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Hey guys, let me explain my problem I'm having:

I have GW2 on my desktop, it worked fine. I installed the game on my laptop, since I knew I was travelling to another state for the weekend and wanted to play today. I install it, load it up, have to go through the authentication process and accept the authentication email, and I can log on my laptop. All good; I close up my laptop, go to bed, and travel all the next day.

When I was checking my authentication email the other day, I also noticed like, 70 emails from china asking for authentication trying to access my account. I didn't even open them, just deleted them from hearing about hackers. I figured I was fine since they didn't have authentication permission from me.

I arrive at my destination today, load up my laptop, and it says my password is invalid. Weird... so I try my different passwords. All of them don't work. It doesn't say my account has been suspended, or banned, or hacked, only that my password won't work. There's no way for me to currently reset it. I can't log into the guild wars 2 website, either. I've opened up multiple tickets to Support, but have heard no response other than the autoresponse saying my request was received. My questions are....

1. Is this a sign of being hacked?

2. Is this a sign of the authentication emails not working today? It's only telling me my password is invalid, though, not that I need to authenticate it.

3. Is anyone else having this specific problem? and am I just at the mercy of Support to let me eventually change my password... someday?

I am very, very, VERY unimpressed with the way ArenaNet is handling this. I've been working overtime the last 2 weeks and busy with personal things, and finally I can sit down for a whole day, more than an hour or two at a time... and it won't work. Thanks for any help or advice, guys.

#2 BloatedGuppy

BloatedGuppy

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

View Postjd091, on 02 September 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

When I was checking my authentication email the other day, I also noticed like, 70 emails from china asking for authentication trying to access my account. I didn't even open them, just deleted them from hearing about hackers. I figured I was fine since they didn't have authentication permission from me.

I arrive at my destination today, load up my laptop, and it says my password is invalid.

I'd say it's 99% likely you were hacked, yeah.

#3 jd091

jd091

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostBloatedGuppy, on 02 September 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I'd say it's 99% likely you were hacked, yeah.

Dang. Anyone got a timeframe on how soon this will be fixed? I couldn've sworn I never clicked on any shady emails or websites or anything.

Also good job with your email verification doing nothing to help as a defense for me, Arenanet.

#4 Digilodger

Digilodger

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

View Postjd091, on 02 September 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

I arrive at my destination today, load up my laptop, and it says my password is invalid. Weird... so I try my different passwords. All of them don't work. It doesn't say my account has been suspended, or banned, or hacked, only that my password won't work. There's no way for me to currently reset it. I can't log into the guild wars 2 website, either. I've opened up multiple tickets to Support, but have heard no response other than the autoresponse saying my request was received. My questions are....

2. Is this a sign of the authentication emails not working today? It's only telling me my password is invalid, though, not that I need to authenticate it.

3. Is anyone else having this specific problem? and am I just at the mercy of Support to let me eventually change my password... someday?

I am very, very, VERY unimpressed with the way ArenaNet is handling this. I've been working overtime the last 2 weeks and busy with personal things, and finally I can sit down for a whole day, more than an hour or two at a time... and it won't work. Thanks for any help or advice, guys.

To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, most likely someone has successfully hacked your account.  

2.  Not sure if I understand this question . . . but if you question is whether email authentication system had some outage today, then yes, it was.  Check this post for some info (look under Email Authentication).

3.  I haven't had such problem.  But for which actions you should take regarding a compromised account, please check here if you haven't already.  ANET says players can expect a response within 72 hours.

While waiting, you might want to check your computer for keylogger, too, just to make sure.  You don't want to take any chances.  

Also just as precaution, you should change your email accounts' passwords and all other passwords, too.  It should not be possible to crack a password with brute-force cracking method if your password is good (longer than 8 characters, including numbers, and NOT a word found in the English dictionary).  

So if you have a good password and your account was still hacked, then the problem lies eslewhere, probably in a keylogger or another compromised database somewhere (if you use teh same password on every site).

Edited by Digilodger, 02 September 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#5 Ncyphe

Ncyphe

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

ANet has officially announced that people's accounts are getting hacked en'mass.  This is why in game mail is offline and they forced the email verification on everyone.

Here's what i recommend, when you get your account back.

Get a G-Mail account (or any other e-mail account that offer verification) and enable the security modes.

For example: I have my G-mail account set up requiring a authentication key from my phone for any time someone tries to log into my account from a different IP address.  This solves the whole issues of people knowing my GW2 password and e-mail password through keylogging.

Still, I wish ANet would invest in a Authenticator, would be so much easier.

#6 jd091

jd091

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostDigilodger, on 02 September 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

2.  Not sure if I understand this question . . . but if you question is whether email authentication system had some outage today, then yes, it was.  Check this post for some info (look under Email Authentication).
I know the authentication system is messed up; i was just wondering if my particular issue was related to that, which it sounds like it isn't.
Thanks, though.

View PostNcyphe, on 02 September 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

ANet has officially announced that people's accounts are getting hacked en'mass.  This is why in game mail is offline and they forced the email verification on everyone.

Here's what i recommend, when you get your account back.

Get a G-Mail account (or any other e-mail account that offer verification) and enable the security modes.

For example: I have my G-mail account set up requiring a authentication key from my phone for any time someone tries to log into my account from a different IP address.  This solves the whole issues of people knowing my GW2 password and e-mail password through keylogging.

Still, I wish ANet would invest in a Authenticator, would be so much easier.

I already use Gmail, and already have a bunch of security set up for my email account. I use a completely different password for my email and Guild Wars 2, so I'm not concerned about that getting jacked, too. Still, it's unfortunate because I reeeeally wanted to play today and catch up with my friends, many of whom aren't currently working and are able to level much quicker than me. I'm afraid I'm not gonna get my account back for another week and then I'll be 50 levels behind everyone. Their support is dropping the ball BIGTIME on this launch. Unfortunate, since the game is soooo good.

#7 Seera1024

Seera1024

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

I wouldn't say they are dropping the ball. It is unfortunate that accounts are being hacked, but they only have so many people working support and they can only work so fast. And on top of the hacking tickets they're getting, they're getting tickets from people who've found bugs and what not. As well as having to deal with people sending in support tickets to find out why they were banned if the message isn't clear to them as to why and then appealing the ban if they don't agree with it.

Just give it time and be as detailed as possible when they ask for information. Keep your serial code and what not where you can access it as well as payment information (receipts, etc). If your receipts are physical copy and you have a scanner, you might want to consider scanning it. That way you can more quickly turn the tickets around so that you get your account back as soon as possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: password, login, hacked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users