• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wrightpwa

wrightpwa

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hi Guys, I have been running  a few tests on Guild Wars 2 and I quickly noticed that when I change the resolution it does not change the frames per second by more than 1 – 2fps. Is anyone else seeing this?

I am using the latest drives and I have tried a range of graphics cards including the GeForce GTX 680 and Radeon HD 7970. The test system has 16GB of DDR3 with the Intel Core i7-3960X processor.

When I say the resolution makes no difference I can go from 1024x768 to 2560x1600 and see no real difference. With maximum in game quality settings the GTX 680 renders around 60fps (vsync is disabled) at 2560x1600 though this is also the case at all other resolutions as well.

The frame rate is not capped either because it I walk up to a wall the frame rate sky rocks to well over 120fps.

#2 Lannister

Lannister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

well then you have no problem, enjoy!
but more seriouly, I think that if your Vsync is on, then you basically cap your fps at the refresh rate of your monitor (that is 60 hz= 60 fps) because you let windows do the correlation. If you turn it off, you will measure in improvement in the FPS most probably although you will also have some weird effects since not all the frame will be matching the rereshing rate of your monitor.

#3 wrightpwa

wrightpwa

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

No come on I can bench countless games and I will see a significant difference in performance from 1024x768 to 2560x1600. Hell you should see a massive difference from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600.

The only weird effect you should have with vsync turned off is tearing.

What I want to know is anyone else finding that they get the same performance at 1024x768 as they do at their native resolution.

This is not about me being able to play the game, I want to test the performance and compare visual settings and hardware configurations. I am having trouble doing that since the resolution seems to have no real impact on performance.

#4 lurker53

lurker53

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

I've noticed this as well, playing at 2560x1440 with a pair of 570's (1.2 GB VRAM) and an i5 2500, all non-oc. Switching to 1920x1080 doesn't impact fps at all.

In most areas I find that I get around 45-60 fps (vsync capped), though in some areas with heavy vegetation or a lot of smoky effects it drops in the 30's. in WvW, I noticed that standing right by a gate to a keep with all kinds of action going on it actually drops to 15-30 fps.

All in all I'd say I'm experiencing slightly better performance than I did in SW: TOR during intense moments.

#5 wrightpwa

wrightpwa

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I dont really understand why the resolution doesn't seem to effect performance :S

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: benchmark, performance, resolution, frames per second

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users