Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 4 votes

JEWEL CRAFTING LEVELING GUIDE - 1 - 400


  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Serashen

Serashen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

I realize this is not formal in any form or fashion - but I'm about to get my point across.  I've had a lot of beer and will make this look pretty some other time.

The thing about jewel crafting is that every tier is the same until about 375, when which you need to super rare goblets or globets or whatever the heck they are - just do the recipes you get off the JC merchant after 375.

For 1-375 DO THIS EXACTLY.

Go buy 4 of EVERY SINGLE GEM IN YOUR COLLECTIBLES.   4 AND ONLY 4 - except the rare stuff - buy all the blues and greens, 4 of each.

One band / setting / gem.

One  Hook / setting / gem.

One  Chain / setting / gem.

One filigree / gem.

One chain / setting / item you made with the filigree & gem.

There are 7 gems per "tier".  Go through the above with the first 3 in the tier,  then do with with the next 4 in the tier.  I found that you can skip the Chain / setting / gem on the first 3 of the tier, and still make it to the next tier.  This will save you ore, because chains cost a lot.

If you are not competent enough to understand the very very basic and rinse repeat guide above - I apologize.  Again I have had a lot of beer and will make this look pretty some other time.

The bottom line is ONLY DO DISCOVERIES AND NEVER CRAFT THE SAME THING TWICE.  If you are level 80 and did normal gathering, following this guide will run you about 8 gold after all the ore  / gems you will need.  If you are starting from scratch - expect to invest about 15 gold.  Have a nice day.

#2 Angrymime

Angrymime

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

I don't get it.. but I've had a lot of beer too.  Will reread later after we've both sobered up.

#3 IsThisNameTaken

IsThisNameTaken

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 273 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I found the 'tough' part is getting to 50. Since you can only do the normal studs and rings, no masterworks. You'll be wasting a bit of material crafting some things twice to 50, but after that, it's pretty easy since filigrees, chains, rings and studs will all be available as well as the masterworks versions.

#4 Kharpalo

Kharpalo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

getting to 50 was challenging part. Now i'm at 390+ and it slowed down a bit as well since only thing to discover is embellished formulas which take 15 crystals for each discovery.

Getting there.

#5 gravleycj

gravleycj

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

You can save on some gems by using the Master Salvage kits (the ones that give 80% return) or if you've gotten black lion kits.  Make the item, salvage it to get the gem back.

#6 jonasklk

jonasklk

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

View Postgravleycj, on 03 September 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

You can save on some gems by using the Master Salvage kits (the ones that give 80% return) or if you've gotten black lion kits.  Make the item, salvage it to get the gem back.

Def get some black lion, they help alot.


#7 Serashen

Serashen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yeah I only bothered selling the green items - I salvaged the rest to get mats back with master kits.  However on our server, Anvil Rock, a lot of the greens are only selling for 1c over vendor.

#8 Gli

Gli

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1026 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostSerashen, on 03 September 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Yeah I only bothered selling the green items - I salvaged the rest to get mats back with master kits.  However on our server, Anvil Rock, a lot of the greens are only selling for 1c over vendor.
Market is global, that's not just your server.

#9 Serashen

Serashen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Oh well - either way, you won't make much of a profit off of them.

#10 Gli

Gli

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1026 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostGli, on 03 September 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Market is global, that's not just your server.
Yeah, and people selling at 1 cp over vendor are actually taking a loss because the tradepost takes 15%.

Also, I'd really like a more detailed explanation from one of the people claiming discoveries will get you from 0 to 50 without crafting anything twice, because I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Gli, 03 September 2012 - 05:37 PM.


#11 Nebojsha

Nebojsha

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • Location:Belgrade
  • Guild Tag:[n00b]

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

it will get you to 50 without repeated crafting if you craft all copper ingot first.

#12 captharlock

captharlock

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostIsThisNameTaken, on 03 September 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

I found the 'tough' part is getting to 50. Since you can only do the normal studs and rings, no masterworks. You'll be wasting a bit of material crafting some things twice to 50, but after that, it's pretty easy since filigrees, chains, rings and studs will all be available as well as the masterworks versions.

Same here I found getting to 50 to be the difficult part after that. I've haven't had much issues with leveling it at the moment. Currently 123 Jeweler/thief lvl 26

#13 Serashen

Serashen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hit 400 this morning - took me about 4-5 crafts from 388 of the level 375 ones you buy with karma off the merchant.

#14 denji_guiildwars2

denji_guiildwars2

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Thank you very much!  I think I understand what you're saying, but let me verify before I spend gold on the market :
-Buy 4 of ever gem
-Each Tier has 7 gems; gem "A" to gem "G"
Craft:
One band / setting / gem "A" (1 of 4)
One  Hook / setting / gem "A" (2 of 4)
One  Chain / setting / gem "A" (3 of 4)
One filigree / gem "A" (4 of 4a)
One chain / setting / Filigree+gem"A" (4 of 4b)
-Repeat for Gems B/C/D/E/F/G

Thanks Again,

-Denji

#15 fourpoundburrito

fourpoundburrito

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

View Postdenji_guiildwars2, on 04 September 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Thank you very much!  I think I understand what you're saying, but let me verify before I spend gold on the market :
-Buy 4 of ever gem
-Each Tier has 7 gems; gem "A" to gem "G"
Craft:
One band / setting / gem "A" (1 of 4)
One  Hook / setting / gem "A" (2 of 4)
One  Chain / setting / gem "A" (3 of 4)
One filigree / gem "A" (4 of 4a)
One chain / setting / Filigree+gem"A" (4 of 4b)
-Repeat for Gems B/C/D/E/F/G

Thanks Again,

-Denji

I believe that is what he said, except that you can actually skip then "Chain / setting / gem" for A, B, and C and still be okay.

#16 Serashen

Serashen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

View Postfourpoundburrito, on 04 September 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

I believe that is what he said, except that you can actually skip then "Chain / setting / gem" for A, B, and C and still be okay.

Yes, all this is correct.  You can do that first chain for "A, B, C" as you guys put it, it's just a judgment call.  If you see yourself missing the next tier by a point or two, go ahead and do it.  I just know I didn't have to every time.  The biggest thing is to just make sure you do nothing except discoveries.  Way more bang for your buck.

Also, you can probably do all of this a lot cheaper now that the TP has been up a couple days - prices of many gems are just 1c above vendor.

#17 gwcraft

gwcraft

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

To summarize, if created all types of jewelry (including the chains for A,B,C items) this is what you will need per tier (except tier 1):

7 bands - 21 ingots
7 hooks - 14 ingots
28 settings - 56 ingots
7 filigrees - 14 ingots
7 chains - 56 ingots

total of 161 ingots per tier (232 ore)

Edited by gwcraft, 05 September 2012 - 01:04 PM.


#18 fourpoundburrito

fourpoundburrito

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

View Postgwcraft, on 05 September 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

To summarize, if created all types of jewelry (including the chains for A,B,C items) this is what you will need per tier (except tier 1):

7 bands - 21 ingots
7 hooks - 14 ingots
28 settings - 56 ingots
7 filigrees - 14 ingots
7 chains - 56 ingots

total of 161 ingots per tier (232 ore)

Thanks for adding that. I think it helps to know quantities up front so you save up and make all the ingots first followed by basic components, filagrees (when possible), then discoveries in order to milk more XP out of the lower value components.

#19 gwcraft

gwcraft

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have been doing some crafting research today and it seems most disciplines have 6 "types of item" for tier 1 and 7 "types item" for the other tiers.

#20 adamtheman1300

adamtheman1300

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Also you can use the dust in collect tab where( blood,bones,ect. Are) with the prior teir gem to make next teir gem, so salvage kits help alot. Also i made ingets to level 25 then started discovery process and made it to 85 before even starting on silver hope that helps

#21 twolve

twolve

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Does the chain give you more experience per ingot? If not, why would you choose to use chains with the filigree gem when it costs the most ore/ingots out of all of them?

#22 Tallenn

Tallenn

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 570 posts
  • Location:Florida
  • Guild Tag:[VII]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for this, both to OP, and to gwcraft for the quantities summary.

#23 Playboy

Playboy

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[UhOh]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm stuck at 172 and  have already used up all legitimate discoveries for this tier. Is there any cheap way to get to 175?

#24 Serashen

Serashen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Twolve - the point is to create something new every time.  There is a double benefit to this - you get all of the crafts unlocked in your list, and you get the most XP for each of your mats.  This is the most efficient way to do it, you just have to front the initial investment in the gems / ore.

#25 rlh445

rlh445

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

View Postgravleycj, on 03 September 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

You can save on some gems by using the Master Salvage kits (the ones that give 80% return) or if you've gotten black lion kits.  Make the item, salvage it to get the gem back.

This.  The Master Salvage kits really saved me.  Not only do you get some ore back, but you get whatever Brilliant class jewel that was encrusted.

#26 djago

djago

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

Ok started a jeweler today as I thought I had enough materials. Followed the pattern above but now stocked at 140. First I made 165 silver ingots then refinements. I have discovered all silver ears, rings, amulets and upgrades. Only orange for me are upgrades of gems to next tiers.

I will get there but if everyone is saying that discover should get one to next tier - why can't I?

EDIT: Ahh mastercraft rings, ears - ohh so much xp :)

Edited by djago, 07 September 2012 - 08:38 AM.


#27 Dulu

Dulu

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 350 posts
  • Location:Florida, US
  • Guild Tag:[GA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

I understand what you mean, because Huntsman had the same pattern.

#28 twolve

twolve

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostSerashen, on 06 September 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

Twolve - the point is to create something new every time.  There is a double benefit to this - you get all of the crafts unlocked in your list, and you get the most XP for each of your mats.  This is the most efficient way to do it, you just have to front the initial investment in the gems / ore.

I realize that you want to make something new every time. However, you say to use chain with the filigree gem. Chain is already known so obviously you aren't discovering that. So why not just use a band or hook? They take less ingots and you will still be discovering just as much as you did with the chain since you haven't made a filigree gem ring or amulet.

#29 ndessell

ndessell

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Posttwolve, on 07 September 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I realize that you want to make something new every time. However, you say to use chain with the filigree gem. Chain is already known so obviously you aren't discovering that. So why not just use a band or hook? They take less ingots and you will still be discovering just as much as you did with the chain since you haven't made a filigree gem ring or amulet.

>.> its odd that he sugests bothering with amulets at all.  He uses 23 bar per gem, when you could skip amulets and discover the fine and masterwork earring and ring for 22 bars and have more than enough mats to level through the teir.

#30 ndessell

ndessell

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostPlayboy, on 06 September 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I'm stuck at 172 and  have already used up all legitimate discoveries for this tier. Is there any cheap way to get to 175?
No, next time do your discoveries in the proper order. all  materials then  the fines, then jewel and master works. sell the left overs. rinse and repeat.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users