120 replies to this topic

#31 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi all, I've been level 80 for a couple of days now and have made some minor modifications to the guide & build:
  • Switched to Jaguar offensive pet
  • Switched to Shortbow secondary weapon, kept Sword/Horn as primary
  • Optimized traits a little - HUGE improvement.
  • Added a little condition synergy.
Please let me know what you think, and don't hesitate to post questions/comments!

#32 Matryoshka

Matryoshka

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

How are you currently faring against common level 80 monsters? Are things going well enough for you to the point where you have it easy or does it get rough a lot of the time?

#33 MrKayako

MrKayako

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I don't understand the appeal of Master bond, if you want it to be usefull it means you can never switch pets, and you gain 2 second quickness every time you switch pet which is 20 second and can be 15 if 15 point put in the BM trait line. Using master bond is making the switch quikness useless, vice versa. Almost every fight at level 80 I switch pet at least once or two to have more quickness. But anyway I'd like to know what you think about all that.

Also I'd like to know if the MM line is really that great, I had put some point in it I'm making a new build and I'm very torn, MM doesn't offer much specially in the passive trait department, does the extra power is that important or can I abandon it all together to have more survivability ?

#34 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostMatryoshka, on 12 September 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

How are you currently faring against common level 80 monsters? Are things going well enough for you to the point where you have it easy or does it get rough a lot of the time?

To put be polite, I raep them.

Seriously though, I'm having zero trouble cutting down every mob in Cursed Shore (level 80 explo). The caveat is that you are very glass cannon-y, with low health and little toughness. It's important to stay mobile and evade the bigger attacks. I prefer it that way though, it makes the game more interesting to play (risk versus reward).

#35 Matryoshka

Matryoshka

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostLiru, on 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Seriously though, I'm having zero trouble cutting down every mob in Cursed Shore (level 80 explo). The caveat is that you are very glass cannon-y, with low health and little toughness. It's important to stay mobile and evade the bigger attacks. I prefer it that way though, it makes the game more interesting to play (risk versus reward).

How is the sword working out for you? I'm quite curious since you have low vitality as well as low toughness. Wouldn't an Axe be a better choice, maybe?

Edit #1:

The build you have linked is not updated, as it seems. The lynx remains as the number one pet and there are a few other things remaining unchanged.

Edited by Matryoshka, 13 September 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#36 Rezman

Rezman

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DM]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Love the build so far. I'm still on the original one and will update to this one tonight.  My only problems are the following:

1. My pet, bear or eagle, can often get one shot.  I've had several times where I swap pets mid fight only to have the new one run in and get it's face smashed in.  It this just something that's bound to happen at times?  seems to often to me.  I do wish the over all AOE damage pets take could be greatly reduced. This was one of the changes to Hunter pets in WoW that greatly helped the class out. All the hunter pets took 90% reduced AOE damage.  Direct hits still did the full damage.

2. (this one you talk about) The sword auto attack is so fast and the animation so crazy (yet awesome) that while it's in mid animation I can't move my character.  This seems like a game flaw to me though.  It's pretty annoying even though your character auto moves to get closer.  Also with that, I've had mobs back up, me move forward, mob backup, me move forward again and so on.

And one question.  Are you primarily fighting as melee with your sword or as range?  I've been staying as range myself in dungeons but both melee and range while farming mobs in the world. Melee I can tell does a LOT more damage.

#37 MrKayako

MrKayako

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostLiru, on 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

First still waiting for an answer about beast mastery.

Second, when you say you raep them, you mean one vs one ? cause I just don't see you raeping mobs in Cursed SHore when they are 4 or 5, specially with a class canon build, and they are so many evade you can do, and lots of mob run very fast. And on a side note the bear when I send him alone against 5 mobs in cursed shore in dies in less than 15 second and I have 15 points in BM and that's the bear I don't imagine the cats.

Cause with a damage shortbow build I raep mobs too, in one  vs one even in two vs two easily. But when you can't run or ennemis attack from distance no toughness, no vitality and just two evade, you take hits for about 2-3k damage with 13k life you die rather quickly. But anyway, not really my kind of build, I do like the synergy but pet are too weak and they don't get better after the level 80 when you do, so I find it better go with trait who are gonna up your damage and have the pet as a support/semitank.

Anyway I would like a bit more than "I raep them" for an explanation, which mobs, how many, and how you pet stays alive ..etc

#38 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRezman, on 13 September 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Love the build so far. I'm still on the original one and will update to this one tonight.  My only problems are the following:

1. My pet, bear or eagle, can often get one shot.  I've had several times where I swap pets mid fight only to have the new one run in and get it's face smashed in.  It this just something that's bound to happen at times?  seems to often to me.  I do wish the over all AOE damage pets take could be greatly reduced. This was one of the changes to Hunter pets in WoW that greatly helped the class out. All the hunter pets took 90% reduced AOE damage.  Direct hits still did the full damage.

2. (this one you talk about) The sword auto attack is so fast and the animation so crazy (yet awesome) that while it's in mid animation I can't move my character.  This seems like a game flaw to me though.  It's pretty annoying even though your character auto moves to get closer.  Also with that, I've had mobs back up, me move forward, mob backup, me move forward again and so on.

And one question.  Are you primarily fighting as melee with your sword or as range?  I've been staying as range myself in dungeons but both melee and range while farming mobs in the world. Melee I can tell does a LOT more damage.

Thanks for you input. I get the pet problem (happens more often at lvl 80) and I'd like to dive into a little more detail:
  • I'm currently trying out a Mighty Swap build (15 BM) instead of Master's Bond (10BM) in high level areas, with two jaguars. As I've been seeing my bear go down quite often anyway I think switching rapidly (and gaining 2sec quickness each time in addition to 10 stacks of Might on pet) might be a better solution. Will come back in a few days with results.
  • It's very, VERY important to micromanage your pets at high level. Pets have a tendency to run ahead of you to attack once you take a target which can rapidly get them killed. I don't keep my pets on passive but I do use Signet of Stone, F2 stealth, and F3 very often to control them and mitigate damage. Take into account that pets do roughly 50% of your total damage output so this is very important.
I also totally agree with your point on the sword: great attack speed, huge number of crits, stacking vulnerability and might, but getting stuck in place has gotten me killed more than once. It looks too cool and causes too much hurt to let go though.

As for your question, I separate it into three areas:
  • Dungeons: mostly shortbow, switch to Horn often for Call, may even equip Axe if mobs hit too hard. However, boss attacks are generally easy to evade so I may switch to Sword to quickly take them down
  • Low end PVE (clearing low level regions): Shortbow. At level 80 you can generally twoshot anything while your pet takes down anything else so the sword is just wasting time :) I use the Horn to keep Speed up.
  • High End PVE / Orr: As you point out, melee does more damage so I generally run with the Sword. I will use the shortbow however to cripple/stun/get away from dangerous situations.

Hope it helps :) Don't hesitate if you have any more questions.

View PostMrKayako, on 13 September 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

First still waiting for an answer about beast mastery.

Second, when you say you raep them, you mean one vs one ? cause I just don't see you raeping mobs in Cursed SHore when they are 4 or 5, specially with a class canon build, and they are so many evade you can do, and lots of mob run very fast. And on a side note the bear when I send him alone against 5 mobs in cursed shore in dies in less than 15 second and I have 15 points in BM and that's the bear I don't imagine the cats.

Cause with a damage shortbow build I raep mobs too, in one  vs one even in two vs two easily. But when you can't run or ennemis attack from distance no toughness, no vitality and just two evade, you take hits for about 2-3k damage with 13k life you die rather quickly. But anyway, not really my kind of build, I do like the synergy but pet are too weak and they don't get better after the level 80 when you do, so I find it better go with trait who are gonna up your damage and have the pet as a support/semitank.

Anyway I would like a bit more than "I raep them" for an explanation, which mobs, how many, and how you pet stays alive ..etc

Wow, I really don't like the haughty & obnoxious tone in your message.

I think I replied to most of your questions in the post above - but from what I see you don't like the build and pets in general anyway. As I've said repeatedly, rangers can be played any way you like and if one way doesn't suit you - choose another!

#39 Rezman

Rezman

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DM]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostMrKayako, on 13 September 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

I was just in Cursed Shore last night for the first time.  I was running around like a crazy person and often had 5 +/- mobs after me.  Once when I stopped I had to deal with them.  It wasn't that hard.  I wasn't able to "reap" them all at the same time no, I had to kill them one at a time.  It involved a lot of kiting in circles and using frost trap on cooldown.  Over all it wasn't hard at all.  One key is to use your heal at the right time, Don't use it when you're health is to low that your heal won't top you off yet don't use it to early as it might over heal and waste some.

This was the build I used last night in PvE out in the world (not dungeons). Also the trait points I use will be changing.

http://www.guildhead...ghMxx9MazRbzVaM

Edited by Rezman, 14 September 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#40 MrKayako

MrKayako

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostLiru, on 14 September 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Wow, I really don't like the haughty & obnoxious tone in your message.

I think I replied to most of your questions in the post above - but from what I see you don't like the build and pets in general anyway. As I've said repeatedly, rangers can be played any way you like and if one way doesn't suit you - choose another!

Well didn't mean to have that kind of tone, I'm not english so maybe if I put more smiley it would pass better :)

So.. I do love pets, I have a hard time with a fishy AI who can't hit and run at the same time, but maybe that's just me. And yes pets are 50% of your damage which makes me so sad because they are so much bug and responsivness problems with pets. I used something similar to your build for my leveling. I micro managed my pet very well they die very rarely (sometimes when I turn around for a few second they have a tendencie to die but anyway)

My second problems with pets, not that I don't love them, but they don't get better after their level 80 when your ranger does, so the 50% damage becomes less and less the more better stuff you get. And I do love cats but when their is more than 4 or 5 mobs that wants my blood, unless running in circles, and watching my pet struggles to hit, or being killed in five seconds because he is focus. And I recall him to my side but often he dies running towards me... I mean I can kit lots of champions and kill them with time because they never touches me, but most of the damage his gonna come from me because my pet often can't hit while moving.

So yeah maybe when you say you raep them, boasting, whithout precising the settings, and conditions, maybe it upset me a bit, cause yeah it's a good build for the One vs One not much running around build, but when it comes to real and long survival, I find it fishy, and for every situation where your pet can't stay in close combat because he dies too quickly, or because you are kitting and he has a hard time to hit you loose more than 50% of your damage because most of the trait are for the pet. But anyway, I don't mean to send an anrgy guy vibe or else, I'd just like to hear better arguments and more details, because at the beginning I was very interessted in a build with good synergy, after many hours testing it I more than skeptical, in majority because you have to rely on a spotty AI so much, instead of using it at a support and relying on your capacity of positioning instead of an AI who his the same as most mobs, and when I see how dumbass are the mobs, I look at my pet with much much sadness.

#41 Mick

Mick

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SoB]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostLiru, on 14 September 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

• I'm currently trying out a Mighty Swap build (15 BM) instead of Master's Bond (10BM) in high level areas, with two jaguars.

How do you have more than one of the same pet?

#42 Hlaku

Hlaku

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostMick, on 15 September 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

How do you have more than one of the same pet?

You can't have the two exact same pets but you can have the two pets of the same family. For example, if you want two bears you can have a brown bear and a polar bear. I'd think that's what he meant when he said two jaguars.

#43 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostHlaku, on 15 September 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

You can't have the two exact same pets but you can have the two pets of the same family. For example, if you want two bears you can have a brown bear and a polar bear. I'd think that's what he meant when he said two jaguars.

Yeah my mistake. I run Jaguar + Lynx. Been using Mighty Swap for two days and it's running really well in PVE - will update guide soon.

#44 Ravnodaus

Ravnodaus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

I use a similar build, but with a noticeable twist fro what seems to the norm here.

http://gw2skills.net...IbRuikFtyYkxWEA

Rampager's all the way. Maximum crit% is essential. The build revolves around generating as many crits as possible, which causes might stacks, which the pet also gets. The Jungle Stalker can roar, which is 5 stacks of might, and he gets it twice...so 10 stacks. And between Call adding another 2, and double duration fury/swiftness, as well as might from sword attacks, fury/swiftness from weapon swaps. double duration boons from Rampage as one, plus the bonus boons from Lyssa rune set...the stacks of boons on an already beefier beastmaster spec'd cat will simply rip mobs apart...like...now. Sometimes I swap the last trait in skirmishing to V Crits grant Might to Pet...but the duration on that might is really short, like 1-2 second...and doesn't really let you stack it up for much effect. Don't worry though, your pet will maintain about 7-15 stacks of might at just about all time with this build. You can peak at the 20-25 stack range if you're trying to burst. And Insane stacks when you Rampage as one. No joke..Insane stacks. 30 % of your crits grant might. Your crit is roughly 80-90% (depending n gear quality), thats roughly 1/4 th of attacks. Auto attack with sword adds might. Call, adds might. Roar adds might. And then you activate Rampage as one and every atack adds might to your pet, and every attack your pet makes adds might to you....which adds might to your pet. Pop your QZ and watch as insanity unfolds before your very eyes. 30 stacks? Easy. More?? yep

If the going is tough, I swap a few things around a little, like so;

This way you have a beefier pet, in the drake. Since it has higher toughness and vitality. The toughness signet helps a little too. The heal on crit talent (works better with cat though) changed the heal for the regeneration. See, if you and the pet stay in the area, your pet is getting double duration from the regen, meaning he always has regeneration, always. You can pull a similar trick with the Fern hound if you like...but then you'd wanna change the trait in BM. But the synergy for pet crits to bleed and huge stacks of might is incredible...so don't recomend anything oher than Cat, Drake, and Devourer (or shark). devourer works really great if you're doing duneons with this setup.

Anyway... Happy hunting.

Edited by Ravnodaus, 16 September 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#45 Mauwl

Mauwl

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Which of all the exotic sets do you guys recommend, especially to this build? Would it be Nika's set with crit runes, or maybe some more defensive runes to avoid the glass cannon feel?

#46 gingexg

gingexg

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Does anyone know if the trait "Compassion Training" applies to the pets heal when they crit?  If so, would this be worth taking?  

http://gw2skills.net...rsW5sSa1CjBBbMA

Thinking something like this?  focuses a bit more on condition dmg and pet crits.  

also does master bond increase on the bonuses at higher levels?  seems at level 35 it only gives 1 point to each stat per stack with a cap of 25.  Doesn't seem worth it.

#47 Bear Storm

Bear Storm

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

I find it a lot better when you use your pets solely for their abilities and not for their auto attacking damage.

For example, I have two Drakes for Group Events, where I need to do a lot of AoE damage, I just run them in, use their F2 skill, swap immediately the cooldown expires.

For Moa's, their healing ability is probably one of the best heals in the game. 3 seconds of AoE healing 900+ health per second, it's crazy. And you can get this every 16 seconds if you just keep switching them out instantaneously.

#48 munnyony

munnyony

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

Just a few comments to help answer some questions to allow better gameplay:
  • If you enjoy using the sword but hate that it locks you in place try changing the auto attack away from the "1" button and move it to the longest cooldown/cast timed spell. (example - i use sword and horn and when i make my auto attack on "5" button. every time i swap to the weapon in combat i get the buff. this works best because the delay in being able to use skills after swaping weapon.) This is effective for me because i can run around and spam the "1" button at the same time without locking your character in place. (learned how to do this by playing SWTOR) It slows down the sword depending on how fast you can move and click but the mobility allows to avoidng almost all frontal damage from being lock in place along with allowing you to stay at max swing range.
  • Personally i like the survivability of using duel bear (brown and polar) polar to lock in place and brown for conditions. This works well for me in dungeons because in fights where pets get owned i can keep brown bear next to me for free condition cleanse and polar bear for freeze and evade.
  • I have gotten the best use out of QZ with the long bow. If you aoe and halfway through hit qz and then rapid fire you gain the buff for the full rapid fire and the finishing arrows of the aoe continue having the buff of qz even if it runs out before the aoe is finished.
  • I went 30 MM mostly for the skill that allows for my character to get all the buffs from the signets that normally go to your pet. You can have stability for 40 straight seconds between signet of wild and rampage along with the toughness signet i have a 6 second invulnerability(with the delay in how buffs fall off i have noticed about  6.5 seconds to being unable to die) If you use the skill in the precion tree for the 20% decrease on cooldown you can use them on a constant loop.

#49 Maarius

Maarius

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I'm very new to the Ranger, coming from Mesmer I wonder: is the pet influenced by my stats? So does e.g. Toughness from my armor give the pet a better chance to stay alive?

#50 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostMaarius, on 17 September 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'm very new to the Ranger, coming from Mesmer I wonder: is the pet influenced by my stats? So does e.g. Toughness from my armor give the pet a better chance to stay alive?

Nope. Use Beastmastery trait line.

#51 Maarius

Maarius

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostLiru, on 17 September 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Nope. Use Beastmastery trait line.
I see, thanks. This leads to the question why full 30 isn't a "must" for this pet-build.

an other question:
The trait "Pet prowess" says: Pets do 30% more damage on critical hits. Does this mean, that they do 30% more damage when your attacks crit (therefor the crit-build) or does it mean that the critical hits from the pet deal 30% more damage?

very interesting read btw, good work! :)

#52 Funest

Funest

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostRavnodaus, on 16 September 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

I use a similar build, but with a noticeable twist fro what seems to the norm here.

Rampager's all the way. Maximum crit% is essential. The build revolves around generating as many crits as possible, which causes might stacks, which the pet also gets. The Jungle Stalker can roar, which is 5 stacks of might, and he gets it twice...so 10 stacks. And between Call adding another 2, and double duration fury/swiftness, as well as might from sword attacks, fury/swiftness from weapon swaps. double duration boons from Rampage as one, plus the bonus boons from Lyssa rune set...the stacks of boons on an already beefier beastmaster spec'd cat will simply rip mobs apart...like...now. Sometimes I swap the last trait in skirmishing to V Crits grant Might to Pet...but the duration on that might is really short, like 1-2 second...and doesn't really let you stack it up for much effect. Don't worry though, your pet will maintain about 7-15 stacks of might at just about all time with this build. You can peak at the 20-25 stack range if you're trying to burst. And Insane stacks when you Rampage as one. No joke..Insane stacks. 30 % of your crits grant might. Your crit is roughly 80-90% (depending n gear quality), thats roughly 1/4 th of attacks. Auto attack with sword adds might. Call, adds might. Roar adds might. And then you activate Rampage as one and every atack adds might to your pet, and every attack your pet makes adds might to you....which adds might to your pet. Pop your QZ and watch as insanity unfolds before your very eyes. 30 stacks? Easy. More?? yep

If the going is tough, I swap a few things around a little, like so;

This way you have a beefier pet, in the drake. Since it has higher toughness and vitality. The toughness signet helps a little too. The heal on crit talent (works better with cat though) changed the heal for the regeneration. See, if you and the pet stay in the area, your pet is getting double duration from the regen, meaning he always has regeneration, always. You can pull a similar trick with the Fern hound if you like...but then you'd wanna change the trait in BM. But the synergy for pet crits to bleed and huge stacks of might is incredible...so don't recomend anything oher than Cat, Drake, and Devourer (or shark). devourer works really great if you're doing duneons with this setup.

Anyway... Happy hunting.

I am targetting a build based on the same principle (boons shared with pet + Sigil of Superior Strength + max crits) for a glass-canon build mainly used in Dungeons.

But I still do not know which end game stuff I should target:

-Power+Precision+condition dmg: Lots of crits, so the bleeds on critical strikes should proc often. But I do not know exactly how the trait Sharpened Edges exactly works. What is the exact chance per crit to bleed, fow how long, can it stack, is there an internal cooldown?
Such a build will probably mean going for Shortbow (+Sword) for the machine gun effect (more crits) and condition skills of the shortbow. It will nevertheless mean less DPS output from the sword than a crit dmg build. For the offhand, torch/dagger would be interesting to apply more conditions, but I am still not sure about not having the warhorn as fury is a core boon of the build IMO.
I am also thinking about a possible funny DPS rotation with Sigil of Superior Strength on the Sword to get more Power/Condition dmg with lots of might effects then switch on the Shortbow with Sigil of Superior Earth for a max crit per seconds/bleed effects while still under the effect of mights.
Big cons: I am afraid I will easily get to the 25 bleeds limit on mobs, especially in Dungeons where I will not be the only one to bleed ennemies... including my pet...

-Power+Precision+%crit dmg: The main advantage of the build will be nice big figures it is able to display on the screen. The DPS with sword will also remain high.
I guess it will be better with a Longbow also, even if I heard that the Shortbow outdps it without even without taking into account condition dmg (I have difficulties to trust this... share your experiences!). It would also be interesting to have an idea of the average attacks per seconds for both bows, as the (1) of the Shortbow is faster than the (1) of the Longbow, but the rapid fire of the Longbow may catch it up (theorycrafting incoming??).
Sigil of Superior Strength for both the bow and the Sword of course in this case of course. Rune of Battle for the warhorn is a smart idea in both builds.

For the pet, they of course need to be changed frequently during dungeons depending of the fights, but I think I will go for cats for heavy dps/no danger fights, ranged pets (devourers probably) for others and bears when needed.

Last point for the runes, Lyssa seems great (I guess you are going condition dmg), but I think going for one of the rune with +20% might duration may also be good. Or even Fury duration if the skill rotation has fury downtimes. Rune of the ranger could also do well with a crit dmg build.

(btw sorry for my poor english - I'm not a native speaker)

#53 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostMaarius, on 17 September 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

I see, thanks. This leads to the question why full 30 isn't a "must" for this pet-build.

an other question:
The trait "Pet prowess" says: Pets do 30% more damage on critical hits. Does this mean, that they do 30% more damage when your attacks crit (therefor the crit-build) or does it mean that the critical hits from the pet deal 30% more damage?

very interesting read btw, good work! :)

Good question, and one I should clarify: the 30% damage is when the pet crits. the whole build is centered about both you and your pet critting all the time.

#54 Teino

Teino

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Syke]

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

While leveling, in which order do you recommend building traits?

#55 eolthecrow

eolthecrow

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

something like this i play too ;) and it s good one ... and for WvW too , but hard with master bond..cheers

#56 SevenMod

SevenMod

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thank you for this guide Liru, I went to reset my traits yesterday after leveling to 70 with longbow only and got pretty tired of it(used greatsword for a little while), I tried tried the sword+warhorn/shortbow and really liked it, my pet hits alot harder than before. I went 15 into BM for the 'Loud Whistle' trait, goes well with the 'Mighty Swap', I really like the zephyr trait aswell, followed by the QZ gives amazing speed. I main and mostly use the sword+warhorn beacuse I really like the skills better, maybe beacuse im not that good with the shortbow skills yet.

I have two question though, I already have the 'Champions Might' and 'Pet' Prowess" In Skirmishing, is it worth it going deeper into the tree for the flanking dmg and 'Carnivorous Appetite' or could I aswell go 30 in MM for 'Precise Strike' for and 'Signet of the Beastmaster' which sounds like a really good trait, and should I focus on getting precision-crit dmg for my gear or power aswell?

Again, thank you and good work!

#57 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick update after reading through (and testing) your precious advice & insights. The biggest change I made to the build is the modification from Master's bond to a Mighty Swap paradigm, using two cats (Jaguar & Lynx) and a 20/30/5/0/15 trait page.

The reason why is that as I have starting doing a lot of high level content, my pet hasn't been able to withstand enough damage to justify Master's Bond stacks and I find it much more effective to switch pets rapidly, giving them full HP and adding quickness. For a more in depth discussion on this topic, please refer to other quality threads on the ranger subforum.

View PostSevenMod, on 18 September 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I have two question though, I already have the 'Champions Might' and 'Pet' Prowess" In Skirmishing, is it worth it going deeper into the tree for the flanking dmg and 'Carnivorous Appetite' or could I aswell go 30 in MM for 'Precise Strike' for and 'Signet of the Beastmaster' which sounds like a really good trait.

To give a very quick answer to this question, I really feel like the MM trait line isn't worth it right now aside from Piercing Arrows due to the mediocre Opening Strike feature. Precise Strike isn;t very useful as you crit all the time anyway (seriously, look at all the red marks), and Signet of the Beastmaster is meh as you shouldn't be taking that much damage in the first place. Carnivorous Appetite on the other hand is great as your pet can now solo virtually any mob without need of healing, and the flanking is an added bonus as you should be trying to flank anyway for the shortbow bleeds and avoiding damage when wielding a sword.

I'd like to thank you all again for the great advice in this thread, and as usual I will keep testing your insights and refining the build as I go forward.

See you ingame!

#58 eolthecrow

eolthecrow

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

liru this with mighty swap works good in wvw ?have any ideea ?

#59 Liru

Liru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

View Posteolthecrow, on 18 September 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

liru this with mighty swap works good in wvw ?have any ideea ?

As I said, the WvW part of the guide isn't up yet and I need to do a lot of additional testing there. From what I've seen right now, Mighty Swap is better than Masters Bond both in high end PVE and in WvW.

However, I will change pets very often in WvW:
  • Hounds for control
  • Cats for DPS
  • Devourers for range
Additionally, the longbow is very useful in WvW so I'll generally run shortbow+longbow and manually switch to horn out of combat for speed buffs. I'd love to hear your suggestions on this.

#60 eolthecrow

eolthecrow

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

y i did a test with sb/lb but i m a bit lazy xD i preffer sb / sword,horn :) about pets jaguar/bear works just fine ... anyway ill make some more test with mighty swap

tell me plz that sigil with quikness from sb is better then 5% crit chance ?

Edited by eolthecrow, 18 September 2012 - 03:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, critical, build, ranger, pet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users