• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 5 votes

Anyone else feel like Trahearne is a bit contrived? (Spoilers maybe?)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#31 Waar Kijk Je Naar

Waar Kijk Je Naar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1595 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[GSD]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I love his voiceacting but some of the dialogues make little sense. Also close to the end of the storyline it began to revolve more around his wyld hunt of ''save Orr and let it live up again'' instead of the ''save the world against evil dragons''-story of the first 60-70 levels. Seems very weird to me.
Spoiler

#32 Lareem

Lareem

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Story spoiler, A light in Darkness. Dreaming of Orr. Here you can see how really Trahearne became a leader.

#33 Zipzo

Zipzo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostLareem, on 05 September 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Story spoiler, A light in Darkness. Dreaming of Orr. Here you can see how really Trahearne became a leader.

I don't need to see this because I did it myself.

#34 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

I just got to the point where the Pact is created. I don't know how it is for others, but as a member of the Order of Whispers, Gixx said that someone who is not among the three Orders must lead, so that one doesn't come out above the others. Trahearne agreed but said he didn't think of that, my character however did and nominated Trahearne because he's respected by all three orders but not part of any. Trahearne didn't claim the title Marshal for himself (okay, maybe the title he did, but not the position or responsibilities).

Furthermore, after the battle for Claw Island (mark II), my character said he'll report to the Order's leader within the Pact, but Trahearne said that he needed/wanted my character directly under him for aid and advice.

Trahearne isn't contrived at all. This was done very well, in my personal opinion.

As to his other aspects of his personality, if you talk to him at various intervals, and read his dialogue, he is constantly questioning himself in his ability to do things. He gains confidence over time, but at the point where I am he's still self-doubting. On top of that, he's constantly relying on the PC after the first meeting at Claw Island. He wouldn't be doing the things he is if it wasn't for the Pale Tree and the PC giving him the push he needed. He even goes about how he realizes that he's been hiding and fleeing from his Wyld Hunt the entire time since his awakening, and only now is he starting to truly push towards it despite having been studying Orr all those years.

View PostLyall, on 05 September 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Everything Trahearne says angers me.

"You'll never succeed alone. I will accompany you." Yeah. The Vigil, a guild of professional soldiers is inadequate and needs the help of a single scholar with no military experience.

I might not even hate him so much if he didn't directly replace the best characters in the personal story. Salt in the wound.
Even the best soldier can be blind sighted when alone.

Though to be serious, Trahearne's point is two-fold: Firstly, it's not wise to do things alone, especially when its important (unless it has to be done alone in which case, this isn't such a scenario). Secondly, the entire theme is about unification and going out solo is... not unification.

View PostWaar Kijk Je Naar, on 05 September 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

I love his voiceacting but some of the dialogues make little sense. Also close to the end of the storyline it began to revolve more around his wyld hunt of ''save Orr and let it live up again'' instead of the ''save the world against evil dragons''-story of the first 60-70 levels. Seems very weird to me.
Spoiler
Well if you think about it, the story step "A Light in the Darkness" explains why fighting the Elder Dragons alone is pointless. They are not the source of the corruption. Killing Zhaitan will not end the undead threat (nor does it), and it will not bring back Orr.

Trahearne's Wyld Hunt is to revive Orr. That is to say, to reverse the Elder Dragons' corruption. That's far more important to the world than simply killing the Elder Dragons - since if you destroy their corruption, even if they live, their forces are immensely weakened if not null (hell, their own powers may become null).

As to the end, in the spoilers, that's because the personal story and dungeon are separated. The personal story leads to the final dungeon, but doesn't include it. It's due to how Anet set up the mechanics, and how they tell two different stories essentially.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#35 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

Well he IS a Slyvari and will tell the truth sincerely no matter if it comes out as sarcastic or condescending

he is pretty useless in-game but story wise he's SUPPOSED to be fairly powerful (especially with his newfound weapon), and is supposed to be the recognizable head honcho even to Zhaitan's minions.

#36 foozlesprite

foozlesprite

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

I think the fact that he was somewhat of a loner and introvert played into it, in addition to the fact that the Pale Tree told him it was his destiny.  He spent a LOT of time in Orr, so he was probably the most knowledgeable individual around regarding it.  And if a famous person/member of Destiny's Edge/Member of an Order (such as you) stepped in, it would be too easy for finger-pointing and cries of favoritism to start flying.  I could see that he didn't really want to do it at first, but did it because he knew he had to finally face his Wild Hunt head-on.  That humbleness, combined with his specialized knowledge and impartiality, made him an excellent choice.

#37 Zipzo

Zipzo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 06 September 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

I just got to the point where the Pact is created. I don't know how it is for others, but as a member of the Order of Whispers, Gixx said that someone who is not among the three Orders must lead, so that one doesn't come out above the others. Trahearne agreed but said he didn't think of that, my character however did and nominated Trahearne because he's respected by all three orders but not part of any. Trahearne didn't claim the title Marshal for himself (okay, maybe the title he did, but not the position or responsibilities).

Furthermore, after the battle for Claw Island (mark II), my character said he'll report to the Order's leader within the Pact, but Trahearne said that he needed/wanted my character directly under him for aid and advice.

Trahearne isn't contrived at all. This was done very well, in my personal opinion.

As to his other aspects of his personality, if you talk to him at various intervals, and read his dialogue, he is constantly questioning himself in his ability to do things. He gains confidence over time, but at the point where I am he's still self-doubting. On top of that, he's constantly relying on the PC after the first meeting at Claw Island. He wouldn't be doing the things he is if it wasn't for the Pale Tree and the PC giving him the push he needed. He even goes about how he realizes that he's been hiding and fleeing from his Wyld Hunt the entire time since his awakening, and only now is he starting to truly push towards it despite having been studying Orr all those years.

Even the best soldier can be blind sighted when alone.

Though to be serious, Trahearne's point is two-fold: Firstly, it's not wise to do things alone, especially when its important (unless it has to be done alone in which case, this isn't such a scenario). Secondly, the entire theme is about unification and going out solo is... not unification.

Well if you think about it, the story step "A Light in the Darkness" explains why fighting the Elder Dragons alone is pointless. They are not the source of the corruption. Killing Zhaitan will not end the undead threat (nor does it), and it will not bring back Orr.

Trahearne's Wyld Hunt is to revive Orr. That is to say, to reverse the Elder Dragons' corruption. That's far more important to the world than simply killing the Elder Dragons - since if you destroy their corruption, even if they live, their forces are immensely weakened if not null (hell, their own powers may become null).

As to the end, in the spoilers, that's because the personal story and dungeon are separated. The personal story leads to the final dungeon, but doesn't include it. It's due to how Anet set up the mechanics, and how they tell two different stories essentially.
You're simply being apologetic of a weak plot device.

Trahearne's position shouldn't require this much explanation. If it were good story telling we wouldn't need you to drill out all the actual reasons that we apparently missed why Trahearne is a good character.

Again, starting with the beginning of your post, it's irrelevant in the in-game lore why he became the marshal, that's not necessarily the criticism. Especially because your PC speaks and has its own opinion, which can easily differ wildly from your actual real life opinion on the subject being discussed in the dialogue. You're missing the point.

Trahearne doesn't earn a solid place in our hearts as the leader before becoming the leader. He just doesn't. He is put there, for a variety of in-game reasons, but those reasons are neither convincing nor inspiring, and then you tack on his strangely contextually ambiguous lines that make him seem like he's full of himself, and you have a recipe for a character that just doesn't deliver, almost back steps, on the role the story is trying to put him in.

#38 Albione

Albione

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Unfortunately it isn't just the NPC characters that suffer from developing from nobodies to world-class heroes. My human Mesmer character, who wanted to join the circus, is know telling soldiers, assassin/spies and scholars what to do and how to fight enemies they've been fighting for considerably longer than I've probably been alive. And all I did was stop one mad plot by a punch of carnies, it's coming across like a reader's digest version of events.

Edited by Albione, 07 September 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#39 Quotheraving

Quotheraving

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostWaar Kijk Je Naar, on 05 September 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Spoiler
Actually I found his voice acting to be very flat and un involving compared to the Whispers and Asura story line VAs.
At first I thought it may have been an intentional device meant to make him feel detached and slightly alien on account of his being a humble bookish sylvari, but the more I heard the more I realised it was just poor voice acting.

Edited by Quotheraving, 07 September 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#40 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

View PostZipzo, on 07 September 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

If it were good story telling
Offering players the ability to skip 70% of the story plot (skipping cinematics, not reading dialogue) can and will lead to people going down the route folks in this thread are, whether or not the story is good.

View PostZipzo, on 07 September 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Trahearne doesn't earn a solid place in our hearts as the leader before becoming the leader. He just doesn't. He is put there, for a variety of in-game reasons, but those reasons are neither convincing nor inspiring, and then you tack on his strangely contextually ambiguous lines that make him seem like he's full of himself, and you have a recipe for a character that just doesn't deliver, almost back steps, on the role the story is trying to put him in.
I guess in this end this is subjective and trying to argue one way or the other is pointless. You'll have your opinions, I'll have mine.

Mind you, I do know that the storytelling can be better, but that's the price they pay for making GW2 an MMO with a persistent world and dividing the game's story into four parts, effectively, where they hardly outright influence each other.

View PostAlbione, on 07 September 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Unfortunately it isn't just the NPC characters that suffer from developing from nobodies to world-class heroes. My human Mesmer character, who wanted to join the circus, is know telling soldiers, assassin/spies and scholars what to do and how to fight enemies they've been fighting for considerably longer than I've probably been alive. And all I did was stop one mad plot by a punch of carnies, it's coming across like a reader's digest version of events.
It's implied, or at least attempted to be implied, that the PC is also going out into the world and helping folks here and there - doing the events and hearts. Anet said in an interview sometime ago that they intended for people to do hearts and events as they come across them while heading to that next story mission. They are told in different means but they still all "happen" and your character's around for... some, at least. So your character did more than punch clowns (and stop one large bandit threat - be it mass poisoning, corrupt minister, or corrupt ministry guard) before being made advocate of the crown. It's just not reflected upon in the personal story because he'd be fairly hard - if not impossible - to create a scenario for whichever events, hearts, and dungeons you've done.

That's part of the error that MMOs give when it comes to storytelling.

I want. I want bad.

#41 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3974 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 08 September 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

Offering players the ability to skip 70% of the story plot (skipping cinematics, not reading dialogue) can and will lead to people going down the route folks in this thread are, whether or not the story is good.

Oh please. Those of us that have endured every line of horrible dialog are EXACTLY the ones upset enough to rant about it.

#42 Sgt Scrub

Sgt Scrub

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Having only just seen the vision of him leading everyone I'm kind of annoyed.
For starters his voice sounds incredibly weird, very much like some kind of Word to Speech program.

having never heard of him before he takes over for my vigil Warmaster as Npc ally.
He has little personality unlike my Ham of a Warmaster (who could also have used more introduction and fleshing out) he is a walking talking exposition machine.
He just seems like his only purpose in life is deus ex machina, this coming from a Sylvari, and entire race designed around quintessentially being deus ex machinas.

#43 Miteshu

Miteshu

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1987 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostLyall, on 05 September 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Everything Trahearne says angers me.

"You'll never succeed alone. I will accompany you." Yeah. The Vigil, a guild of professional soldiers is inadequate and needs the help of a single scholar with no military experience.

I might not even hate him so much if he didn't directly replace the best characters in the personal story. Salt in the wound.
I really disagree. He has a major accomplishment that deserves noticing, Trahearne walked around Orr. Just like Dougal Keane walked around Ascalon City, and Dougal Keane was famous for it. If Trahearne could walk around Orr and have the audacity to go back, clearly he is braver and stronger than your ordinary Vigil.

Forgal Kernsson the Warmaster has been trying to recruit Trahearne for some time. Clearly, I would choose Trahearne over the Vigil as my ally.

#44 Zipzo

Zipzo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostMiteshu, on 08 September 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I really disagree. He has a major accomplishment that deserves noticing, Trahearne walked around Orr. Just like Dougal Keane walked around Ascalon City, and Dougal Keane was famous for it. If Trahearne could walk around Orr and have the audacity to go back, clearly he is braver and stronger than your ordinary Vigil.

Forgal Kernsson the Warmaster has been trying to recruit Trahearne for some time. Clearly, I would choose Trahearne over the Vigil as my ally.
I don't get it.

Every single grunt soldier you see at every single encampment in Orr is walking around Orr. What makes Trahearne so special?

#45 Miteshu

Miteshu

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1987 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostZipzo, on 08 September 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

I don't get it.

Every single grunt soldier you see at every single encampment in Orr is walking around Orr. What makes Trahearne so special?
Let see, lets start with:

Orr is filled with Risen. Walking alone will get you killed. You have chickens that explodes, you have eagles that drop bombs, you have purifiers that pulls you and then the massive horde dps you down. There is tons of Risen that'll kill you at sight. Even now, the Pact fail to hold their ground in Cursed Shores without player characters assisting them which is why you will see contested waypoints everywhere. If Trahearne can walk through that, that is something worth the legends for Skaalds.

But why are the grunts able to walk the same soil as Trahearne? It all leads to Trahearne. Trahearne was there first and had no almost no knowledge of Orr when he started. He was there because his Wyld hunt was to heal Orr. The pact couldn't invade Orr without Trahearne's knowledge. Trahearne didn't walk around Orr with an army, he did it alone and spent some time over there. His knowledge of Orr is vital.

#46 Murderer

Murderer

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Profession:Warrior

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

I remember doing 1 cut scene and Trahearn is crying about how he is a nerd and not a warrior and then like 2 quest later the guy is yelling and barking orders at me.....

#47 4arsie4

4arsie4

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

The problem is that there are no old people in the game, which in typical story structures, take on the mentor archetype. Your Obi-Wan Kenobis, your Dumbledoores, your Gandalfs.

#48 Zipzo

Zipzo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostMiteshu, on 08 September 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Let see, lets start with:

Orr is filled with Risen. Walking alone will get you killed. You have chickens that explodes, you have eagles that drop bombs, you have purifiers that pulls you and then the massive horde dps you down. There is tons of Risen that'll kill you at sight. Even now, the Pact fail to hold their ground in Cursed Shores without player characters assisting them which is why you will see contested waypoints everywhere. If Trahearne can walk through that, that is something worth the legends for Skaalds.

But why are the grunts able to walk the same soil as Trahearne? It all leads to Trahearne. Trahearne was there first and had no almost no knowledge of Orr when he started. He was there because his Wyld hunt was to heal Orr. The pact couldn't invade Orr without Trahearne's knowledge. Trahearne didn't walk around Orr with an army, he did it alone and spent some time over there. His knowledge of Orr is vital.
Yeah I have no problem with him being smart or vital to the fight because of his knowledge.

That doesn't make him a war hero. His most suited role is on the sidelines, not risking his knowledge to the fate of death.

#49 Miteshu

Miteshu

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1987 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostZipzo, on 09 September 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Yeah I have no problem with him being smart or vital to the fight because of his knowledge.

That doesn't make him a war hero. His most suited role is on the sidelines, not risking his knowledge to the fate of death.
One Order leader advised that someone that didn't join any of the order to be the leader. Otherwise, it'll cause an imbalance. Trehearne didn't join any of the three orders, yet highly respected from the three orders.

If a Vigil Warmaster lead the Pact, he'll probably ignore Trehearne's advice and do a suicide assault. The other two orders will disagree and fight their own ways then disunity then Zhaitan will walk on Tyria.

He isn't ideal leader that you want, but he is more suited than anyone else. Unless you have a nominee?

#50 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

View PostFoxBat, on 08 September 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Oh please. Those of us that have endured every line of horrible dialog are EXACTLY the ones upset enough to rant about it.
You say it was horrible, I don't. Sure, they're not Oscar worthy, at least not most of them, but that doesn't make them horrible either.

But as I said in my last post, that's going down to opinion. But am I saying it's perfect? Hardly. Just not as bad as you all are claiming.

View PostZipzo, on 08 September 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

I don't get it.

Yeah, every grunt soldier part of an army.

Trahearne was alone.

View PostMurderer, on 08 September 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I remember doing 1 cut scene and Trahearn is crying about how he is a nerd and not a warrior and then like 2 quest later the guy is yelling and barking orders at me.....
A scholar can lead an army. One doesn't need to swing a sword to bark orders. And I don't think anyone admits that he's the ideal leader - even he doesn't, in fact. He's just the best leader they can find who is knowledgable about their enemy and can unite the three orders.

Though I admit the progression was fast - then again, everything is in the personal storyline (or nearly everything), but that seems like a side-effect of having so many alternatives, it'll lead to a faster paced storyline. You can't get everything.

I want. I want bad.

#51 Zipzo

Zipzo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostMiteshu, on 09 September 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

One Order leader advised that someone that didn't join any of the order to be the leader. Otherwise, it'll cause an imbalance. Trehearne didn't join any of the three orders, yet highly respected from the three orders.

If a Vigil Warmaster lead the Pact, he'll probably ignore Trehearne's advice and do a suicide assault. The other two orders will disagree and fight their own ways then disunity then Zhaitan will walk on Tyria.

He isn't ideal leader that you want, but he is more suited than anyone else. Unless you have a nominee?
Do you have something against yourself being the marshal? And more interesting of an idea, why not a democratic system where the order representatives talk it out. Also I disagree...Forgal states pretty clearly how much he respects the crap out of Trahearne as the best example...and he's about as vigil as vigil can get...so what makes you think he'd ignore Trahearne?

Edited by Zipzo, 10 September 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#52 Miteshu

Miteshu

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1987 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostZipzo, on 09 September 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

Do you have something against yourself being the marshal? And more interesting of an idea, why not a democratic system where the order representatives talk it out. Also I disagree...Forgal states pretty clearly how much he respects the crap out of Trahearne as the best example...and he's about as vigil as vigil can get...so what makes you think he'd ignore Trahearne?
If the player character was marshal, the pact will be in disunity because some favor some choices over the other.

The Pact is a military, not a nation. I don't remember any nations in the world that used a democratic system in their military.

Forgal can respect Trehearne as much as he wants but it still doesn't change the fact that Trehearne did not join any of the order.

#53 Midnight_Tea

Midnight_Tea

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I do want to say that I think a lot of people don't like Trahearne because:

1. He does sort of co-opt what was your "personal story" for about 30 levels worth of content (30 because of the string of level 80 story missions). It feels pretty depressing and dreary, and by you reach the 80 missions you really have no personal stake in it anymore.

2. In some story missions he pulls a Prince Rurik and runs straight into crowds of like twenty risen and gets himself and possibly you killed. In the mission I was doing, reviving him almost made him bug out and I came close to having to start the mission over. Hey, walking weed, is the Pact going to pay for my repair bill?

He also does come off as a bit demanding and impatient at times, but I don't hold that as much against him. Some of real world history's  greatest leaders were absolutely miserable to know in person. I know some people bring up his voice, but all I can say to that is that his voice sounds to me like a villain's. It has that sort of rich, smarmy cadence that a Bond villain would have. I kind of like that, though, if just as a subversion.

Color me, again, REALLY annoyed they don't take the opportunity to expand on his role as a sylvari necromancer. However I just recently did the Temple of Grenth mission so I feel a bit better there.

#54 Isarien

Isarien

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm rather annoyed with the level 73 personal story mission, Through the Looking Glass.

For my character I originally chose the Act With Wisdom lesson, which results in a storyline involving the Orrian Mirror, Tegwen, and Carys, all of whom appear again in the mission "Through the Looking Glass."

During the mission, they recant for me the tale of how they figured out how the mirror works. All the while I'm sitting here thinking, "...I was there! Why don't you remember this? And stop saying Trahearne saved you!" At which it dawned on me, okay, I guess they just missed that little detail, and these final missions don't have much tie in to prior choices.

But no, then the quaggans I saved during the Durmand Priory storyline show up, showing that yes, my earlier choices do effect this particular mission. I'm disappointed that my attempt to bring the story full circle backfired. :\

#55 Doki20

Doki20

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

View Postmoomooo1, on 04 September 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

I agree that the story telling could've be done better(the Master of Whispers identity reveal was atrociously bad, but had promise had they done it right). The character itself I can *see* what they were trying to get at. The timid type who can summon a lot of courage, more than he himself knows. This is a very common and likeable hero in all our media.

Only... they didn't show us any of that. You're right. He went from useless NPC informant to leader. I don't know. I definitely think they could've worked on that. Plus, the bond between you two. When he appointed me second in command I couldn't see why...

I disagree. Not sure because I had a sylvari character (thus met him early on and bonded with him), but I actually felt good when he actually appointed me to Commander. Later on as well, when he asked my opinion and when he tried to cheer me up after certain events, it felt that he actually cared about my character.

My only problem with the storyline, that when Calys and the other sylvari woman showed up with the
Spoiler
they didn't recognize me... even though I saved their lives more than once in the early sylvari storyline and even had a big adventure with them.. they told those events like I wasn't even there..

Not a major thing, but it would have been really nice of Anet to actually care about such little details (and should have made a new cutscene for that option just for sylvari)

edit.: Just as Isarien said in the post above me. Only difference that I went with Hylek and the one I befriended showed up with his patrol instead.

Edited by Doki20, 09 September 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#56 Supreme

Supreme

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1062 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

BIG spoilers btw on this rant.

Trahearne is the biggest Mary Sue of them all.

He's a necromancer, okay. Then he gets a magical greatsword that lets him have lightning bots and guardian melee abilities. fine.

Then suddenly he can summon 8 flesh golems. He only does this ONCE however. Blah blah it takes a lot out of him, he can still do it.

Then he can summon the ghosts of the past to see ancient rituals, and magically he knows about them.

Everyone LOVE LOVE LOVES this guy for no reason. He doesn't DO anything but have everyone build a fort. But suddenly my big honkin' charr who has done way more then this idiot bows down to him and begs for any sort of praise from Trahearne he can get.

Then there's Shell Shocked, of course, MY CHARACTER gets tricked and made to look incompotent, but really it's all because the baddies want to get at TRAHEARNE!

Trahearne is just another freakin' Kormir. Only a little more useful in battle because he can throw magic Deus Ex Machina out of his leafy behind. I hate this character, and the fact the story focused so much on him is just awful.

Dinky for President.

#57 Shinri

Shinri

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostIsarien, on 04 September 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

I can vouch for this. It didn't feel abrupt or contrived at all, but this is from the perspective of a Sylvari who met Trahearne at level 11 and then again at Claw Island. I don't know how similar or different it is for other races, but I do agree with the quoted poster, and not the OP. :\

Yeah, no. It does feel contrived - he throws maybe 3 lines in your direction, you say hi, and then he treats you as he would every other character. Not to mention you being Sylvari doesn't change the fact that he rolls in and steals the spotlight, and that he's a pretty bland and poorly written character in general.

If there's one thing I've learned (well, reaffirmed) it's that Arenanet aren't good storytellers. They can write awesome lore, and they build great worlds, but damn their stories aren't great.

#58 Albione

Albione

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

If Trahearne can have Caladbolg, then next update my sylvari warrior wants Excalibur... just saying....

#59 Datenshi92

Datenshi92

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2391 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Sylvaris believe that the one with the most experience tends to be the one that leads.
Trahearne has more experience than anyone else in Orr and how to fight those creatures, he might not be a soldier, but he's a scholar and knows what we're dealing with.

The 3 orders are in constant conflict in how we're supposed to kill Zaithan, when we join one of them, we basically accept how they want to do things. If we became the leader of the Pact, it would only cause conflict. The other Orders would start asking why is a member of X order leading? Why not one of our own?

You call him egocentric, but think about what you're doing and complaining. You're being selfish yourself.
You get your spotlight, you even get recognized around the world for what you did. In the end, you were part of the vanguard who toke down an Elder Dragon. Why do you need to get your shoes even more polished?
No matter how good you are, you didn't defeat him alone and you would accomplish nothing if it wasn't for the help of other races and knowledge that the orders acquired in the meanwhile.
Others deserve as much recognition as you do because of this.
Whenever people play games like these, if there's even the slightest hint of it, people already assume that they are going to be the next king or god.

You're a great warrior, a hero and a legend. That's it.
Accept your place and that you're not the center of the universe.

Edited by Datenshi92, 10 September 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#60 Doki20

Doki20

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostSupreme, on 10 September 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

...Then he can summon the ghosts of the past to see ancient rituals, and magically he knows about them....

Erm.. you know that he was studying Orr for at least a decade? This, and the fact that he had the whole Durmond Priory at his disposal to fill him in with any other Orr knowledge they have found.

If you put these together, then it's not that "magical" that he had this sort of information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users